Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Goalposter check-in (12/25 through 01/07/2023)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Goalposter check-in (12/25 through 01/07/2023)

Goalposters check-in (12/25 through 01/07/2023)

Two weeks!.... Missing Mamabug... 2 reported and did pretty well!

​​​​​​Exercisers: Feel free to join us. You set your own goals. You can keep the same goals week-to-week, or modify them. You decide if you accomplished them. Check in once a week to let us know​​​ how you did.

Hello everyone !

Hope everyone is having a Happy New Year so far!

I've been doing well, all things considered.

Thankful to be able to accomplish my exercise goals.

Orthotist came yesterday and brought my new AFO (after using my old one for 20+ years)!

What a difference when using an AFO that fits properly. The old one had become too big for my leg due to weight loss and muscle atrophy.

I felt as if I was dragging a fireman's boot around when trying to move my leg!

I don't have to lean so hard on my left leg anymore in order to hoist up my right foot.

Now I have to get used to not exerting so much when walking (which is the main purpose). That won't take long at all!

You know the feeling when you go to push open a door, and someone on the other side is pulling it open at the same time?

Well that's how it feels when, out of sheer habit, I exert the amount of force that I'm used to while taking steps now with the new AFO.

It feels much lighter and easier to lift my leg. I'm grateful for this energy saver!

I will keep the current exercise goals for next week.

Daily: Up on feet and light activity (walk/stand) 5X per day @ 20 - 30 min each + Stretches throughout the day + Breathing exercises

4X Per Week: In-chair ab crunches (10 each X2) + Arm, Leg, Core, and Back Exercises (with varied # of reps)

May we be calm, patient, strong, and of good courage.

PPMS for 26 years (dx 1998)
    ~ Worrying will not take away tomorrow's troubles ~ But it will take away today's peace. ~

Comment

Originally posted by KoKo View Post
      ....Orthotist came yesterday and brought my new AFO (after using my old one for 20+ years)!

What a difference when using an AFO that fits properly. The old one had become too big for my leg due to weight loss and muscle atrophy.

I felt as if I was dragging a fireman's boot around when trying to move my leg!

I don't have to lean so hard on my left leg anymore in order to hoist up my right foot.

This sounds great KoKo! Also understand the leg / muscle atrophy over time. The orthotic I use with shoes could use replacement, so could the shoes. Sigh.

Now I have to get used to not exerting so much when walking (which is the main purpose). That won't take long at all!

You know the feeling when you go to push open a door, and someone on the other side is pulling it open at the same time?

Well that's how it feels when, out of sheer habit, I exert the amount of force that I'm used to while taking steps now with the new AFO.

It feels much lighter and easier to lift my leg. I'm grateful for this energy saver!

K, I have to agree that it won't take long as to enjoying less exertion when walking, a true blessing! May I suggest something to ask your therapy people?

Is it smart to introduce an exercise, say; lifting the leg a few reps daily? Nothing excessive but use of some of that extra energy... energy you already were counting on and already had available may be subject to loss, if not called upon?

Hearing a therapist thinking would be interesting...?

I will keep the current exercise goals for next week.

Daily: Up on feet and light activity (walk/stand) 5X per day @ 20 - 30 min each + Stretches throughout the day + Breathing exercises

4X Per Week: In-chair ab crunches (10 each X2) + Arm, Leg, Core, and Back Exercises (with varied # of reps)

May we be calm, patient, strong, and of good courage.

Some minor tweaks show that your spirit is lifted too! Nice week KoKo!
      ​​

Comment

Had two good weeks everyone. Forced myself into doing things I do not enjoy a few times. Psychological lift afterwards. A good mix over these weeks with a bit more time 'holding the stretch.' Past the one minute benchmark that we hear about. No negatives but cannot say was anything gained either, which was probably my hope.

Did notice something positive....

I may have more control of what have always appeared to be 'reflex responses' due to MS. For instance; often but not always, upper body efforts involving either excess reps or resistance would make my toes curl (like a fist).

These instances, the toes curling (or other MS reflexes) can be controlled. I can 'soften / release' the club-like tightness. Sometimes I can do this while walking, which is very rewarding. Better balance using this example.

Kind of related to isolating only the muscle(s) you focus on during exercise, I guess, but you are actually multitasking... first; establishing proper form etc, second; check body for the 'MS reflexes' and eliminate them when you can.

Who wouldn't like the idea of sending messages to different parts of your body while doing something and finding out that somebody's home?

Hey Mamabug, hope all is well!

Comment

Sorry I've been MIA. Yeah, everything is fine.

Exercise consistency varies. Some weeks I'm okay. Other weeks, I'm less active.

Just have been busy with the holidays.

Thanks for starting my missing thread!
          ~ Faith
          MSWorld Volunteer -- Moderator since JUN2012
          (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
          - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.
          - In 2008, I was back in limbo briefly, then re-dx w/ MS: JUL08

- Betaseron NOV03-AUG08; Copaxone20 SEPT08-APR15; Copaxone40 APR15-present
          - Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Comment

Hello Jer!

Originally posted by 502E79 View Post
            Is it smart to introduce an exercise, say; lifting the leg a few reps daily? Nothing excessive but use of some of that extra energy... energy you already were counting on and already had available may be subject to loss, if not called upon?

Hearing a therapist thinking would be interesting...?
            Yes, it would be very smart to do leg lifts.

I used to be able to do them, but gradually, over the years, I have lost the ability to actively lift my legs from a sitting, laying, or standing position.

I currently do passive (manual) leg lifts, as one of my exercises.

Evaluations by PT and Orthotist both have determined that the nerve tracts to my hip flexor muscles have been severely affected.

That's why my walking is so unorthodox.

PT has remarked that it's amazing how I am able to take steps, without the aid of my hip flexors.

I have to do alot of body contortions in order to get the job done.

~ Worrying will not take away tomorrow's troubles ~ But it will take away today's peace. ~

Comment

Hello Mamabug!

Glad that you are doing well, and keeping busy during this time of the year!

Comment

Hey Jer

Had two good weeks everyone. Forced myself into doing things I do not enjoy a few times. Psychological lift afterwards. A good mix over these weeks with a bit more time 'holding the stretch.' Past the one minute benchmark that we hear about. No negatives but cannot say was anything gained either, which was probably my hope.
                Super efforts Jer!

Originally posted by 502E79
                Did notice something positive....

I may have more control of what have always appeared to be 'reflex responses' due to MS. For instance; often but not always, upper body efforts involving either excess reps or resistance would make my toes curl (like a fist).

These instances, the toes curling (or other MS reflexes) can be controlled. I can 'soften / release' the club-like tightness. Sometimes I can do this while walking, which is very rewarding. Better balance using this example.

Kind of related to isolating only the muscle(s) you focus on during exercise, I guess, but you are actually multitasking... first; establishing proper form etc, second; check body for the 'MS reflexes' and eliminate them when you can.

Who wouldn't like the idea of sending messages to different parts of your body while doing something and finding out that somebody's home?
                The mind / body connection is a magnificent thing!

I have learned how to get into targeted muscle relax mode as well, and have been successful at loosening spastic muscles too.

For me, slowing down my breathing while focusing on the target muscle(s) really helps with this.

I have had plenty of practice with the relaxation response during my previous high-anxiety times.

So glad to know that you are able to focus and achieve the desired results!

Magnificent!

Comment

Hi KoKo!

Thanks for responding as always with words that encourage! Some comments or questions, please bear with me

My old trainer had asked me to use my left 'good' arm to assist my right 'poor' arm if needed. Never thought of it as passive (manual) exercises. Janet gets a .

Your PT and Orthotist both have determined that your nerve tracts to the hip flexor muscles have been severely affected.... Yet somehow you continue to stand and step 5x daily! ​

My guess is simple; You still have nerve tracts that reach targeted hip flexors and allow you to move... or;

You have established another / additional paths to get the required result by sheer effort.

The 'amazing' comment is a result of continued effort, MHO... and just maybe another route?!

Again to the mind / body connection...

Really pleased that you have had success in isolating or targeting muscles to relax as well. I've not thought about it until now but when I notice an MS reflex due to spasticity, I stop all motion, breath deep and then relax best as I can. Unconsciously, it is similar to your breathing exercise!

Comment

Originally posted by Mamabug View Post
                    Sorry I've been MIA. Yeah, everything is fine.

Exercise consistency varies. Some weeks I'm okay. Other weeks, I'm less active.

Just have been busy with the holidays.

Thanks for starting my missing thread!

Mamabug! Glad that family and holidays are at the top of the 'to do' list.

Your routines will reestablish soon and with them the consistency we all desire!

Comment

Hey Jer

Your PT and Orthotist both have determined that your nerve tracts to the hip flexor muscles have been severely affected.... Yet somehow you continue to stand and step 5x daily! ​

My guess is simple; You still have nerve tracts that reach targeted hip flexors and allow you to move... or;

You have established another / additional paths to get the required result by sheer effort.

The 'amazing' comment is a result of continued effort, MHO... and just maybe another route?!

If I do have any muscle innervation going to the hip flexors, it sure is awfully weak signaling.

Hip flexor 'tests' include lifting legs (knees bent) while sitting and marching in place while standing.

I am unable to do either one.

Not sure about another route.

What I do know for sure is that I use other muscles to move my legs. PT commented that I use my ab muscles.

I walk a little bit catty-cornered / diagonally (not straight forward and not totally sideways).

I lean my body pretty far (northeast or northwest depending on which leg I'm leaning on ) and then use several abdominal, lower back, and perhaps some other leg muscles, in order to lift my feet and legs (not very high, just enough to clear the floor).

Originally posted by 502E79
                      Again to the mind / body connection...

Really pleased that you have had success in isolating or targeting muscles to relax as well. I've not thought about it until now but when I notice an MS reflex due to spasticity, I stop all motion, breath deep and then relax best as I can. Unconsciously, it is similar to your breathing exercise!
                      Yes, looks like we're on the same page with mindfulness, focus, and breathing awareness!

Comment

If I do have any muscle innervation going to the hip flexors, it sure is awfully weak signaling.

Hip flexor 'tests' include lifting legs (knees bent) while sitting and marching in place while standing.

I am unable to do either one.

Not sure about another route.

Never had the 'tests' but remember trainer asking me to do exactly what you mention.

Standing (marching), can lift bad leg sufficient to walk poorly when not overworked, and when 'leaning' on blessed good leg.

Sitting, can lift bad leg maybe an inch, for 1 second, once... but going for 2x!

What I do know for sure is that I use other muscles to move my legs. PT commented that I use my ab muscles.

I walk a little bit catty-cornered / diagonally (not straight forward and not totally sideways).

I lean my body pretty far (northeast or northwest depending on which leg I'm leaning on ) and then use several abdominal, lower back, and perhaps some other leg muscles, in order to lift my feet and legs (not very high, just enough to clear the floor).

The reason for my spine curvature may be reliance on good left side compensation. The body finds a way and sacrifice often plays a part.

​​

Comment

Also, I didn't mention that I need the bilateral support of a rollator / walker in order to be able to stand and take steps.

I think you already know that, but wanted to be sure to give the full picture.

Comment

Also, I didn't mention that I need the bilateral support of a rollator / walker in order to be able to stand and take steps.

I think you already know that, but wanted to be sure to give the full picture.

I got a clearer picture and thank you for your honesty and the strength of spirit you continuously exhibit.

Let's all keep at it!

Comment

Working...
                            X