• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Goalposters Exercise Check In 11-03-2022

The Goalposters Exercise Check In 11-03-2022

3 checked in.

3 made partial goals.

​​​​​​Exercisers: Feel free to join us. You set your own goals. You can keep the same goals week-to-week, or modify them. You decide if you accomplished them. Check in once a week to let us know​​​ how you did.
    ~ Faith
    MSWorld Volunteer -- Moderator since JUN2012
    (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
    - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.
    - In 2008, I was back in limbo briefly, then re-dx w/ MS: JUL08

- Betaseron NOV03-AUG08; Copaxone20 SEPT08-APR15; Copaxone40 APR15-present
    - Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Partial goals.

I had appointments on the two days that I usually can go to Silver Sneakers. I did a short partial YouYube chair yoga and a little bit of PT at home, but exercise was very minimal this week.

Average daily steps: 1058 (Goal is 1200)
    ~ Faith
    MSWorld Volunteer -- Moderator since JUN2012
    (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
    - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.
    - In 2008, I was back in limbo briefly, then re-dx w/ MS: JUL08

- Betaseron NOV03-AUG08; Copaxone20 SEPT08-APR15; Copaxone40 APR15-present
    - Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Comment

Hi Mamabug!

Good for you on achieving partial goals.

Appointments can use up mental and physical energy.

You did very well with your steps!

I achieved my exercise goals and feel thankful for that.

Had a Dr. appointment (home visit) and did the voting (absentee ballot). Didn't have to use too much energy for those.

My Dr. brought an intern for her to learn about MS. I enjoyed being a 'teacher'.

Back to the exercise report....

I've been diligent with the breathing exercises and anxiety reducing practices.

Persistence does have its rewards.

Being tense while physically trying to navigate this ol' body of mine is way too frustrating.

There's nothing I relish more than the feeling of calm (while being focused, careful and alert) as I perform my ADL's / activities.

I'm not always there yet, but I'm getting close. I love feeling calm inside! (Au Naturel)

I will pursue the current exercise goals for next week.

Daily: Up on feet and light activity (walk/stand) 5X per day @ 20 - 30 min each + Stretches throughout the day + Breathing exercises

4X Per Week: In-chair ab crunches (10 each X2) + Arm, Leg, Core, and Back Exercises (with varied # of reps)

May we be calm, patient, strong, and of good courage.
      PPMS for 26 years (dx 1998)
      ~ Worrying will not take away tomorrow's troubles ~ But it will take away today's peace. ~

Comment

Originally posted by Mamabug View Post
        Partial goals.

I had appointments on the two days that I usually can go to Silver Sneakers. I did a short partial YouYube chair yoga and a little bit of PT at home, but exercise was very minimal this week.

Average daily steps: 1058 (Goal is 1200)

Partial for me also Mamabug. Knew it going in with an appointment at Apple Store on Wednesday @ midday. Kinda messed up the day entirely.

The rest of the week was satisfactory as to exercise and stretching routines. Cardio, comprised of elliptical and threadmill was the gym high point, 2+ miles.

Additional conversations with some new people and other residents added a bit of spice to the week... with elections next week that pleased me... actually civil and brief (!) conversations considering PA politics.

Truthfully the Apple visit added ADLs to my week with a lot more walking and simply standing... NO chairs in this Apple store. Yikes! But any change-up dealt with successfully - goes in the 'win' column!

Also may be sleeping a bit better including some short daytime naps! I'm getting 5 hours + at night.

Next week may tend partial also with Tuesday elections and a Monday 'wellness' visit to my new OD. We will see.

Hope you had a good week KoKo! Let's keep at it.

Comment

Originally posted by KoKo View Post

I achieved my exercise goals and feel thankful for that.

Had a Dr. appointment (home visit) and did the voting (absentee ballot). Didn't have to use too much energy for those.

My Dr. brought an intern for her to learn about MS. I enjoyed being a 'teacher'.

Sound like a nice week KoKo! We find solace in different situations than we use to, n'est pas?

Anything to reduce anxiety / stress gets my attention and as you say, persistence does have its rewards. Staying focused without anyone around works best for me. Sometimes, just a few spoken words, are enough to distract me from the task at hand!

Let's have a good week!

Comment

PS - Au Naturel is a French word which generally means - being in a natural state or natural condition, nothing added, etc.

I don't do well with anti-anxiety type meds, so I must work hard at generating calmness by other means.
            ~ Worrying will not take away tomorrow's troubles ~ But it will take away today's peace. ~

Comment

Hello Jer

Originally posted by 502E79 View Post
              The rest of the week was satisfactory as to exercise and stretching routines. Cardio, comprised of elliptical and threadmill was the gym high point, 2+ miles.
              Marvelous!

Originally posted by 502E79
              Truthfully the Apple visit added ADLs to my week with a lot more walking and simply standing... NO chairs in this Apple store. Yikes! But any change-up dealt with successfully - goes in the 'win' column!
              Standing and walking - priceless! (and most challenging )

Also may be sleeping a bit better including some short daytime naps! I'm getting 5 hours + at night.
              Your sleep and nap routines are very similar to what I've been doing. And I can remember very well when I wasn't a successful nap taker. The naps are really beneficial to me now.

Next week may tend partial also with Tuesday elections and a Monday 'wellness' visit to my new OD. We will see.
              Why not make the extra standing and walking part of your goal for next week, and drop some other goal (just for next week)?

Comment

Staying focused without anyone around works best for me. Sometimes, just a few spoken words, are enough to distract me from the task at hand!
                I've gotten an itsy-bitsy-teeny-weeny bit better with the people distractions (depending on who it is).

I have aides, housekeepers, activities staff, etc. popping in at any time, and have even (rarely) talked a little bit while focusing.

But mostly I say 'you'll have to come back in a few, I'm focusing!'

My regular assistants know my situation and promptly turn and walk right back out when I'm up walking or performing tasks!

I'm glad/not glad that you can fully relate with this, Jer!

Comment

Originally posted by KoKo View Post

I've gotten an itsy-bitsy-teeny-weeny bit better with the people distractions (depending on who it is).

I have aides, housekeepers, activities staff, etc. popping in at any time, and have even (rarely) talked a little bit while focusing.

But mostly I say 'you'll have to come back in a few, I'm focusing!'

My regular assistants know my situation and promptly turn and walk right back out when I'm up walking or performing tasks!

I'm glad/not glad that you can fully relate with this, Jer!

Hi KoKo!

What stands out for me in your post is your communication with others. You are living your life as you see fit and everyone (aides, housekeepers, activities staff, etc.) appears to respect this.

K, I think your move to your current location benefits you on a lot of levels.

Some may at first appear as inconveniences, but with time and patience; everyone benefits. I can see this in the caretakers around here. A "different breed" was my initial thought regarding their interactions with others, but it really is a two-way street. Everyone can benefit. Your focus and determination feeds their commitment to encourage! And by allowing you to make the effort... that's simple respect. A virtue we all need to be reminded of.

I'm truly glad I can relate to this. At times I wonder if this knowledge would have made the impact it has, if I wasn't handicapped?

I'll count it as a blessing.

Comment

Working...
                  X