• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Goalposters Exercise Check In 09-15-2022

The Goalposters Exercise Check In 09-15-2022

3 checked in.
    3 made goals.

​​​​​​Exercisers: Feel free to join us. You set your own goals. You can keep the same goals week-to-week, or modify them. You decide if you accomplished them. Check in once a week to let us know​
    ~ Faith
    MSWorld Volunteer -- Moderator since JUN2012
    (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
    - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.
    - In 2008, I was back in limbo briefly, then re-dx w/ MS: JUL08

- Betaseron NOV03-AUG08; Copaxone20 SEPT08-APR15; Copaxone40 APR15-present
    - Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Made goals.

Silver sneakers 2x
    PT at home 2x
    ~ Faith
    MSWorld Volunteer -- Moderator since JUN2012
    (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
    - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.
    - In 2008, I was back in limbo briefly, then re-dx w/ MS: JUL08

- Betaseron NOV03-AUG08; Copaxone20 SEPT08-APR15; Copaxone40 APR15-present
    - Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Comment

Hi Mamabug ~

Originally posted by Mamabug View Post
      Made goals.

Silver sneakers 2x
      PT at home 2x
      Good job!

PPMS for 26 years (dx 1998)
      ~ Worrying will not take away tomorrow's troubles ~ But it will take away today's peace. ~

Comment

Hi Mamabug! Happy to hear about a successful week!

I had a partial, made so by a dental appointment. Otherwise very good.

Have increased resistance with leg work and increased time on elliptical (cardio work). Not a heck of a lot but there weren't any follow-up adverse effects, so all is well! Maintaining all upper body work (core, lower back, arms)... was reminded at gym to 'exercise slower' by an older gentleman.... My focus was on ROM of poor arm (almost nonexistent), so I imagine 'short & jerky' movements looked kind of funny to someone normal. He meant well.

The hand cycle machine is improving ROM for poor arm. Better than the first week's attempts thankfully. Still spasticity pain but wrist appears to be in a better position longer! and grip holds up ! Now trying to get the elbow closer to my torso.

Daily stretching seems easier over the last couple of weeks? Want to point a finger at a reason but haven't a clue.

Side ... Took scooter was out once this week to postal box (like it!), and the dentist visit mentioned went well enough. Leaves are showing hints of color here and there. Let's keep at it!

Comment

Hello!

I didn't achieve all of my exercises, so partial goal is the result.

However, I was able to accomplish my daily ADL's, as well as my walk/stand, some stretches, core, back, abs, and breathing exercises.

I'm thankful for everything that I was able to do.

Just didn't feel that I had the strength and stamina in my muscles to do the arm and leg exercises.

I don't feel fatigued per se (thanks to coffee?), but my muscles do get super tired/weak very quickly while using them.

In medical jargon, this is motor fatigue, also known as impaired nerve impulses going to the muscles.

In any case, I'll try for my arm and leg exercise goals next week, even if I have to cut down on the reps.

Hope everyone is doing well, and trying to be lighthearted, in spite of the challenges.

Daily: Up on feet and light activity (walk/stand) 6X per day @ 20 - 30 min each + Stretches throughout the day + Breathing exercises

4X Per Week: In-chair ab crunches (20 each time) + Arm, Leg, Core, and Back Exercises

May we be calm, patient, strong, and of good courage.

~ Worrying will not take away tomorrow's troubles ~ But it will take away today's peace. ~

Comment

Originally posted by KoKo View Post
            However, I was able to accomplish my daily ADL's, as well as my walk/stand, some stretches, core, back, abs, and breathing exercises.

ADLs! I remembered these too, should have mentioned it... good for you KoKo!

Just didn't feel that I had the strength and stamina in my muscles to do the arm and leg exercises.

I don't feel fatigued per se (thanks to coffee?), but my muscles do get super tired/weak very quickly while using them.

In medical jargon, this is motor fatigue, also known as impaired nerve impulses going to the muscles.

In any case, I'll try for my arm and leg exercise goals next week, even if I have to cut down on the reps

I'm still at a loss as to the variations of fatigue (your post for another thread). Not that I don't understand the descriptions but mine are inconsistent. Some from column A, some from B... real mixed bag.

Backing off knowing I may pay in the future has its benefits, trouble is at times you can feel in the zone, especially with cardio work.

It's hard to keep in mind potential consequences when there are times you experience nothing negative during or after!

Comment

Originally posted by 502E79 View Post
              Backing off knowing I may pay in the future has its benefits, trouble is at times you can feel in the zone, especially with cardio work.

It's hard to keep in mind potential consequences when there are times you experience nothing negative during or after!
              I don't understand what you mean?

Comment

Hey Jer!

Upon re-reading, I do know what you mean!

Unfortunately, with motor fatigue, I simply can't move my arm or leg at all after a short while.

That's how I know the difference between motor fatigue and plain old muscle weakness. I can keep pushing somewhat with regular tired muscles.

With motor fatigue, the motor neurons quit firing altogether, and I need to rest in order to be able to move again.

It's scary, like being paralyzed for awhile.

Comment

Hey Jer!

Upon re-reading, I do know what you mean!

Unfortunately, with motor fatigue, I simply can't move my arm or leg at all after a short while.

That's how I know the difference between motor fatigue and plain old muscle weakness. I can keep pushing somewhat with regular tired muscles.

With motor fatigue, the motor neurons quit firing altogether, and I need to rest in order to be able to move again.

It's scary, like being paralyzed for awhile.

I too understand better, thank you KoKo.

Scary is the right word. My fatigue appears to be limited currently... related to spasticity and therefore muscle being tired / tighter from excessive reps.

Knowing that you need rest for motor neurons to return to 'normal' is scary but keeping at it, NOT overworking, but consistent efforts to reach, but not overreach will reap rewards.

We continue to grow in many ways as long as we continue to make the effort.

May we ALL be calm, patient, strong, and of good courage.​ ​

Comment

Originally posted by 502E79 View Post
                    Knowing that you need rest for motor neurons to return to 'normal' is scary but keeping at it, NOT overworking, but consistent efforts to reach, but not overreach will reap rewards.

We continue to grow in many ways as long as we continue to make the effort.

May we ALL be calm, patient, strong, and of good courage.​ ​
                    Thank you for the understanding and encouragement, Jer!

Comment

Working...
                    X