Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Goalposters Exercise Check In 08-25-2022

3 checked in last week.

I'm going to say that we all made goals. Koko, you said that you maxed out. I don't think that's a partial goal; your goal shouldn't be more than your maximum ability.
    ~ Faith
    MSWorld Volunteer -- Moderator since JUN2012
    (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
    - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.
    - In 2008, I was back in limbo briefly, then re-dx w/ MS: JUL08

- Betaseron NOV03-AUG08; Copaxone20 SEPT08-APR15; Copaxone40 APR15-present
    - Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Partial goals.

1 Silver Sneakers
    1 PT at home
    Average steps per day: 1492
    ~ Faith
    (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
    - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.

- Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Comment

Originally posted by Mamabug View Post
      3 checked in last week.

I'm going to say that we all made goals. Koko, you said that you maxed out. I don't think that's a partial goal; your goal shouldn't be more than your maximum ability.
      You know, I was thinking the same thing, Mamabug.

Sometimes our exercising consists of doing extra activities of daily living (ADL's), which can be quite a workout for some of us.
      PPMS for 26 years (dx 1998)
      ~ Worrying will not take away tomorrow's troubles ~ But it will take away today's peace. ~

Comment

Hello everyone

Hope your week is going well, and your challenges manageable.

I was able to make goals, with less reps done on my arm and leg exercises. Ab crunches, core and back exercises got done.

Walk / stand 6 times, 20 - 30 minutes was accomplished.

Note to self - need to stretch more often next week!

My daily breath work went smooth.

Overall, my week went A-OK.

Same exercise goals for next week.

Daily: Up on feet and light activity (walk/stand) 6X per day @ 20 - 30 min each + Stretches throughout the day + Breathing exercises

4X Per Week: In-chair ab crunches (20 each time) + Arm, Leg, Core, and Back Exercises

May we be calm, patient, strong, and of good courage.

~ Worrying will not take away tomorrow's troubles ~ But it will take away today's peace. ~

Comment

Hi everybody!

Looks a bit like our weekly status reports are "All the news that's fit to print" on MSW lately....

And that you both kept track, and adjust as needs be and more importantly, kept at it! Kudos!

I had another good week but like KoKo (as to her stretching), I should get in some more ADL work this coming week. All other work was very similar to last week with good results and no negative overtures the following day(s).

Tried something different this week. I set 'contraction' resistance on hydraulic machines at less than I normally use. This allowed for full ROM and a normal set (30R @ 15-15). At higher resistance ROM was truncated... previously believing my poor right arm muscles were causing this shortening of motion!

So next week the plan is to see if this extends to hydraulic machines that work the opposing muscle groups. Worth a shot right?

ALSO: there was a PT in gym working with an older woman on a piece of equipment that I always thought bogus. Forgot its name but you sit facing two handles set-up like peddles on a bike. They can be adjusted as to arm length, resistance(!), C or CC wise.

My thinking is: use only my bad arm with enough resistance to execute, say 30 cycles. Then 30 CC? Thoughts? Also BTW, you can push seat out of the way and stand up... the thing is height adjustable.

Side Received a few books of poetry from a former client this week. Trying to take the poems in small bites really allows for maximum enjoyment. Maybe it's just me getting older, eh?

Let's keep at it.

Comment

Hello there Jer!

Originally posted by 502E79 View Post
            And that you both kept track, and adjust as needs be and more importantly, kept at it! Kudos!
            Thank you Jer!

Originally posted by 502E79
            I had another good week but like KoKo (as to her stretching), I should get in some more ADL work this coming week. All other work was very similar to last week with good results and no negative overtures the following day(s).
            Having good results and no negatives is a beautiful thing!

Tried something different this week. I set 'contraction' resistance on hydraulic machines at less than I normally use. This allowed for full ROM and a normal set (30R @ 15-15). At higher resistance ROM was truncated... previously believing my poor right arm muscles were causing this shortening of motion!

So next week the plan is to see if this extends to hydraulic machines that work the opposing muscle groups. Worth a shot right?
            Oh yes, it's well worth a shot! Whatever will help you to work the muscles with a better ROM, even if at a lower resistance, is well worth the effort.

ALSO: there was a PT in gym working with an older woman on a piece of equipment that I always thought bogus. Forgot its name but you sit facing two handles set-up like peddles on a bike. They can be adjusted as to arm length, resistance(!), C or CC wise.

My thinking is: use only my bad arm with enough resistance to , heavy metal.execute, say 30 cycles. Then 30 CC? Thoughts? Also BTW, you can push seat out of the way and stand up... the thing is height adjustable.
            Definitely give it a try, Jer.

I had an arm pedal cycle, which was about 3 1/2 feet high (adjustable). I used it alot, until it became too heavy for me to move around as it was a sturdy, heavy metal!

Then I got a table top arm pedal cycle (manual) which I used regularly. It was useful, in my opinion. That also became too heavy for me to move around (one handed, of course).

Side Received a few books of poetry from a former client this week. Trying to take the poems in small bites really allows for maximum enjoyment. Maybe it's just me getting older, eh?
            True enough, we're all getting older!

At the same time, some things in life are best when savored slowly!

Comment

Hi KoKo!

Yes, arm pedal cycle is a good description although the PT used a ten-cent word.

Actually excited when thinking of ways to adapt this equipment for my routines. It's a good thing! The PT also agreed as to C or CC usage, making reference to neurological benefits. Reminded me of Janet (my old trainer) using gym equipment in unorthodox ways as a work-around for MS related muscle or left-side / right side brain function issues. She was always in favor of doing 'choreographed' routines... engaging thought and action simultaneously. I can hear her barking orders!

Regarding 'savored slowly'.... ALL things in life are better when savored slowly. Sophocles says of old age that the passions relax their hold, freeing you of not just one mad master but of many.

Aging and our PPMS are similar.... EVERYTHING still doable is done slowly! And maybe 'savored' simply because it's still doable?!

Thanks for your thoughts KoKo, and the positivity you encourage in all your comments on MSW.

​​​​​​​Jer

Comment

Originally posted by 502E79 View Post
                Actually excited when thinking of ways to adapt this equipment for my routines. It's a good thing! The PT also agreed as to C or CC usage, making reference to neurological benefits. Reminded me of Janet (my old trainer) using gym equipment in unorthodox ways as a work-around for MS related muscle or left-side / right side brain function issues. She was always in favor of doing 'choreographed' routines... engaging thought and action simultaneously. I can hear her barking orders!
                Lessons remembered is a sign of a very good teacher!

Regarding 'savored slowly'.... ALL things in life are better when savored slowly. Sophocles says of old age that the passions relax their hold, freeing you of not just one mad master but of many.

Aging and our PPMS are similar.... EVERYTHING still doable is done slowly! And maybe 'savored' simply because it's still doable?!
                Excellent point, Jer. Anything 'still doable' is always a delight (in my world)!

Comment

Originally posted by KoKo View Post

Sometimes our exercising consists of doing extra activities of daily living (ADL's), which can be quite a workout for some of us.
                  Yeah; that happens for me sometimes. Actually it probably explains why I had more than enough average steps last week, even though I was a little short on Silver sneakers and PT.

~ Faith
                  (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02

Comment

Hello my friends....

Sorry to have dropped out on you guys, I believe my last post was a promise to show up the following week to report and it didn't happen. A few changes have happened over the last year and I haven't been able to "keep it going" like I wish I could.

I left my employer of 15 years about a year ago, filed for and was awarded STD and then LTD after 13 weeks. I had a relapse with some old (physical) symptoms getting a little worse and some new (cognitive) symptoms showing up. I've pushed myself so much in both my personal and professional life that I believe I just needed to back off a little bit.

While I haven't been as good as I once was (spacisity is a weird thing) I found myself as good as I was once on occasion. A run here and there have been possible with proper rest before and especially after. I enjoyed the rest and the last year has given my plenty of time work on my "disability" ...I'm not sure if I'm ready but I have landed a job not far from the house twisting wrenches on some high tech machinery and I can't wait to get back into the work force.

I'll be setting some goals soon and look forward to interacting with you guys again soon. Take care and keep it going.
                    The future depends on what you do today.- Gandhi

Comment

Hello Boudreaux!

It's a miracle!

How wonderful it is to hear from you!

Originally posted by Boudreaux View Post
                      Hello my friends....

Sorry to have dropped out on you guys, I believe my last post was a promise to show up the following week to report and it didn't happen. A few changes have happened over the last year and I haven't been able to "keep it going" like I wish I could.
                      We understand, not to worry!

Originally posted by Boudreaux
                      I left my employer of 15 years about a year ago, filed for and was awarded STD and then LTD after 13 weeks. I had a relapse with some old (physical) symptoms getting a little worse and some new (cognitive) symptoms showing up. I've pushed myself so much in both my personal and professional life that I believe I just needed to back off a little bit.
                      Sorry to learn about the relapse. Looks like your STD and LTD went smooth, which helps.

While I haven't been as good as I once was (spacisity is a weird thing) I found myself as good as I was once on occasion. A run here and there have been possible with proper rest before and especially after. I enjoyed the rest and the last year has given my plenty of time work on my "disability" ...
                      Spasticity is a weird thing - you got that right!

It's good to hear that you have occasional good days. Those kind of days keep me going.

Proper rest before and after activities is essential for me too. Great strategy.

I'm not sure if I'm ready but I have landed a job not far from the house twisting wrenches on some high tech machinery and I can't wait to get back into the work force.
                      Give the new job your best shot (I know you will). Best of luck and hope it works out well for you!

I'll be setting some goals soon and look forward to interacting with you guys again soon. Take care and keep it going.
                      Hey Boudreaux, you don't need goals to post here. Please stop by and let us know how you're doing, and what's going on, as often as you can.

We really do miss you Boudreaux.

Comment

Hello my friends....

Sorry to have dropped out on you guys, I believe my last post was a promise to show up the following week to report and it didn't happen. A few changes have happened over the last year and I haven't been able to "keep it going" like I wish I could...

It's so good to hear from you. Yes; we HAVE missed you. Looking forward to maybe hearing from you regularly again.

~ Faith
                        (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02

Comment

...I've pushed myself so much in both my personal and professional life that I believe I just needed to back off a little bit.
                          Welcome back Mike!

The thing with MS is often being unaware that you are pushing too much. Dicy situation, but REAL important as you make some adjustments.

Take you time Boudreaux! Also, last week PA newscasts covered Mississippi flood / water issues. Hope all is well with you and family.

Comment

Working...
                          X