• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Goalposters Weekly Check=in Exercise Thread

3 checked in last week.

2 made partial goals.
    1 made goals.

​​​​​​Exercisers: Feel free to join us. You set your own goals. You can keep the same goals week-to-week,or modify them. You decide if you accomplished them. Check in once a week to let us know
    ~ Faith
    MSWorld Volunteer -- Moderator since JUN2012
    (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
    - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.
    - In 2008, I was back in limbo briefly, then re-dx w/ MS: JUL08

- Betaseron NOV03-AUG08; Copaxone20 SEPT08-APR15; Copaxone40 APR15-present
    - Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

I have not been very motivated lately. I'm not really sure why. I did get off track during our Vacation Bible School week this summer, because I took a break during a busy week. And, it's just been hard to get back on track.

Just a partial goal this week again. Went to Silver Sneakers once. Didn't do much else.
    ~ Faith
    MSWorld Volunteer -- Moderator since JUN2012
    (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
    - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.
    - In 2008, I was back in limbo briefly, then re-dx w/ MS: JUL08

- Betaseron NOV03-AUG08; Copaxone20 SEPT08-APR15; Copaxone40 APR15-present
    - Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Comment

Hello everyone

Partial goal for me as well, Mamabug.

I had both OT and PT this week, which involve activity, so I'm ok with the partial goal.

Committed to at least getting closer to achieving my goals for next week.

Daily: Up on feet and light activity (walk/stand) 4X per day @ 20 min each+ Stretches throughout the day + Breathing exercises

4X Per Week: In-chair ab crunches (20 each time) + Arm, Leg, Core, and Back Exercises

May we be calm, patient, strong, and of good courage.
      PPMS for 26 years (dx 1998)
      ~ Worrying will not take away tomorrow's troubles ~ But it will take away today's peace. ~

Comment

Hi everyone!

I think we are all like that Mamabug, as to '...getting back on track.' Momentum is a wonderful thing, shifting gears can be a speed bump!

And KoKo, you'll have to give us some info on PT and OT sessions. May be useful to anyone wanting to 'mix up' their workouts. Glad you still managed some of your own routine regardless

POOL!

Had to force myself to go!? and like Mamabug, I'm not really sure why.

Did 50 minutes of shortened routines, no over doing anything and feel good today. So a very successful outing, add normal 2 days at gym, daily stretching at home and you've got 'Goals Met' this week. Legs (+cardio) OK with elliptical now at 2/3 mile.

Only negative - sleepless nights... but have added the occasional nap even though I do not feel tired. Sometimes get 20-30 minutes!? It's nuts as to why.

Oh another negative.. somewhere between November 10 and now.... I misplaced another 10 lbs...? ...and I am no slouch at mealtime.

Coming soon: The Invisible Man

Comment

Hey Jer!

Super job with your pool routine and exercises! Goals met!

Seems like sleep would come easy after days like that, but as you know, things don't always come easy and are seldom normal .

OT is focusing on foot drop, finger and arm exercises, finding aids to help offset the numb fingers.

PT is focusing on walking, sit-to-stand, and transfers.

~ Worrying will not take away tomorrow's troubles ~ But it will take away today's peace. ~

Comment

Originally posted by KoKo View Post
            Hey Jer!

Super job with your pool routine and exercises! Goals met!

Seems like sleep would come easy after days like that, but as you know, things don't always come easy and are seldom normal .

OT is focusing on foot drop, finger and arm exercises, finding aids to help offset the numb fingers.

PT is focusing on walking, sit-to-stand, and transfers.

Thanks for the encouragement KoKo!

I would be interested on OT / PT thoughts or exercises regarding foot-drop. Somehow I am still managing but another's thoughts on the issue.... very welcome

Thanks again K!

Comment

Originally posted by 502E79 View Post
              I would be interested on OT / PT thoughts or exercises regarding foot-drop. Somehow I am still managing but another's thoughts on the issue.... very welcome
              Jer, I'm only able to do passive stretching / passive movements with my feet.

We're trying various foot drop splints / braces / boots for wearing at night (I already have daytime braces, used with shoes).

Hoping to have ones that I can sit-to-stand with, and ambulate short distances (bathroom trips) while wearing at night.

Most comfortable ones have warnings stating not for ambulation, only to wear in bed.

The most important factor in my case is keeping my feet at 90 degree angles with legs.

Jer, if you are able to actively move your feet, there are exercises, foot rockers, foot slant boards, etc. that may help.

Comment

Originally posted by KoKo View Post

Jer, I'm only able to do passive stretching / passive movements with my feet.

We're trying various foot drop splints / braces / boots for wearing at night (I already have daytime braces, used with shoes).

Hoping to have ones that I can sit-to-stand with, and ambulate short distances (bathroom trips) while wearing at night.

Most comfortable ones have warnings stating not for ambulation, only to wear in bed.

The most important factor in my case is keeping my feet at 90 degree angles with legs.

Jer, if you are able to actively move your feet, there are exercises, foot rockers, foot slant boards, etc. that may help.

Thank you KoKo, I understand and agree that keeping that 90 degree angle at night would be a plus, maybe a game changer.

Raises the question regarding holding a stretch doesn't it? Guess 90 degrees may not be considered a stretch except for drop-foot sufferers?

Your post did remind me of a rocker my trainer gave me years ago. Found it in a bag of equipment that wasn't needed with most items being available at gym.

So appreciate the reminder! I will work with it. My drop-foot has minimal activity but as long as there is a flicker. Let's keep at it.

Comment

Originally posted by 502E79 View Post
                  Raises the question regarding holding a stretch doesn't it? Guess 90 degrees may not be considered a stretch except for drop-foot sufferers?
                  My foot drop is not in a contracture state yet, (muscles, tendons, ligaments are still 'loose', not fixed tight) so keeping the 90 degree angle at night is not a problem.

If it were a problem, one could start with shortened times of wearing, gradually increasing the amount of time the device is worn.

Comment

Working...
                  X