Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Goalposters Exercise Check in thread

Sorry; I didn't post last week.

​​​​​​Exercisers: Feel free to join us. You set your own goals. You can keep the same goals week-to-week,or modify them. You decide if you accomplished them. Check in once a week to let us know
    ~ Faith
    MSWorld Volunteer -- Moderator since JUN2012
    (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
    - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.
    - In 2008, I was back in limbo briefly, then re-dx w/ MS: JUL08

- Betaseron NOV03-AUG08; Copaxone20 SEPT08-APR15; Copaxone40 APR15-present
    - Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Hey everyone

Partial exercise goals for me during the past 2 weeks.

It feels like, at times, that my exercise routine is taking some energy away from my ADL's.

I can thoroughly understand how, at some point for many PwMS, just trying to perform the activities of daily living becomes their most challenging exercise workout.

I'll reduce the reps and the time spent for certain exercises, and see how that goes.

Goal setting / changes will follow.

My physical therapist came yesterday. He works with PwMS and he finds it 'amazing' (his word) that I'm able to sit-to-stand and walk (take steps is my definition), for the amount of weakness and muscle atrophy that is apparent.

I asked him why most of the literature says that atrophy is caused by non-use of the muscle, as I started having muscle atrophy while I was still working?

He explained that my atrophy is directly related to loss of muscle innervation (weak or no nerve signals going to the muscle caused by neurodegeneration (damaged or destroyed axons) in the myelin sheath.

Early on, when I was still working for instance, other muscles would compensate making it seem like I was using the muscles that were atrophying. Simply put, muscles need nerve signals (in order to contract and relax) or atrophy will follow.

I'm grateful that he helped me to understand that. It's easy to blame ourselves for muscle atrophy, thinking that we're not exercising enough.

Last edited by KoKo; 06-04-2022, 07:50 AM.
    PPMS for 26 years (dx 1998)
    ~ Worrying will not take away tomorrow's troubles ~ But it will take away today's peace. ~

Comment

Originally posted by KoKo View Post
      Partial exercise goals for me during the past 2 weeks.

It feels like, at times, that my exercise routine is taking some energy away from my ADL's.

I can thoroughly understand how, at some point for many PwMS, just trying to perform the activities of daily living becomes their most challenging exercise workout.

I'll reduce the reps and the time spent for certain exercises, and see how that goes.

Goal setting / changes will follow.

Hi KoKo! Thought you would have partial weeks simply due to all new routines during the day. No worries!

I've come to believe that any exercise routine and attention to ADLs are similar... even a two way street. Latest proof, for me is having gotten back to elliptical machine (at just .5 mile+) appears to help me lift my drop foot leg! Not always, but often enough that on return to apartment I actually walk better than on my way to gym.

On an elliptical, even though my good leg is the primary driver, my poor leg is put through the proper movements (or ROM)... take the elliptical out of it and it just may be that the poor leg "remembers"? Sometimes fatigue kills this but I keep at it.

Originally posted by KoKo View Post

My physical therapist came yesterday. He works with PwMS and he finds it 'amazing' (his word) that I'm able to sit-to-stand and walk (take steps is my definition), for the amount of weakness and muscle atrophy that is apparent.

I asked him why most of the literature says that atrophy is caused by non-use of the muscle, as I started having muscle atrophy while I was still working?

He explained that my atrophy is directly related to loss of muscle innervation (weak or no nerve signals going to the muscle caused by neurodegeneration (damaged or destroyed axons) in the myelin sheath.

Early on, when I was still working for instance, other muscles would compensate making it seem like I was using the muscles that were atrophying. Simply put, muscles need nerve signals (in order to contract and relax) or atrophy will follow.

I'm grateful that he helped me to understand that. It's easy to blame ourselves for muscle atrophy, thinking that we're not exercising enough.

Happy to hear the therapist gave an explanation that makes you feel better. Must point out that his first comments ('amazing!') may be a result of your maintaining exercise!

Regardless of muscle loss, maintaining a proper disposition, even in the face of disease progression, through continuing exercise makes you an active participent in your life. Let's use those weak nerve signals going to the muscles for every second we can.

"He who has a why to live for can bear almost any how". - Nietzsche

Comment

Hi Mamabug... Thanks for starting the thread!

Being a part of this thread has allowed looking back at my posts over the last 5 months. there have been predicaments (nod to K), some set backs but overall things are improving. I say this fully cognizant of my PPMS. I am more aware, maybe more open in general to people, opinions, my mind and my body.

This was not my initial goal of maintaining my physical abilities but sometimes you get more than you pay for.

Goals made! Let's keep at it

Comment

Hey there Jer!

Originally posted by 502E79 View Post
          Happy to hear the therapist gave an explanation that makes you feel better. Must point out that his first comments ('amazing!') may be a result of your maintaining exercise!
          Yes, muscles that are still getting nerve signals are doing the job (compensating).

My sit-to-stand and walking look (and feel) very unorthodox / unconventional due to compensation of other muscles.

But hey, we 'get 'er done'.

PPMS for 26 years (dx 1998)
          ~ Worrying will not take away tomorrow's troubles ~ But it will take away today's peace. ~

Comment

Originally posted by 502E79 View Post
            Hi Mamabug... Thanks for starting the thread!

Being a part of this thread has allowed looking back at my posts over the last 5 months.
            You're welcome. I'm glad that it provides you a record.

~ Faith
            (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
            - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.

- Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Comment

I'm slow, this week, at posting my exercise. It's almost time for next week's post.

It's just a partial goal. I went to silver sneakers class once. Not much else.
              ~ Faith
              (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02

Comment

Working...
              X