X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Goalposters Exercise CheckIn Thread 03-31-2022

3 checked in last week.

3 made goals.

​​​​​​Exercisers: Feel free to join us. You set your own goals. You can keep the same goals week-to-week, or modify them. You decide if you accomplished them. Check in once a week to let us know
    ~ Faith
    MSWorld Volunteer -- Moderator since JUN2012
    (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
    - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.
    - In 2008, I was back in limbo briefly, then re-dx w/ MS: JUL08

- Betaseron NOV03-AUG08; Copaxone20 SEPT08-APR15; Copaxone40 APR15-present
    - Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Made goals.

Average steps 1497 per day.
    PT at home; strength training 4x.
    Silver Sneakers 1x.
    ~ Faith
    MSWorld Volunteer -- Moderator since JUN2012
    (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
    - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.
    - In 2008, I was back in limbo briefly, then re-dx w/ MS: JUL08

- Betaseron NOV03-AUG08; Copaxone20 SEPT08-APR15; Copaxone40 APR15-present
    - Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Comment

Hi Mamabug! Congratulations on your step count... along with making your goals.

Same here. Did have to cut back on my leg workouts, but persisted on getting something done. Real minimal, but the overall goal remains the same... maintain as much as I can... for as long as I can.

The week consisted of a daily session of stretching, 5 days at 20+ minutes each, in apartment + 3x in gym at 10 minutes each, after workout.

2.5+ hours of core / upper body with the above mentioned minimal leg stuff over entire week. Did do more walking and used the stairs more often too!

Sleep may be better but last night when I expected zzzz's - nada! Never get what you expect.

Cannot gain weight but at least I appear to have stopped vanishing into thin air.

All is well, let's keep at it!

Comment

Originally posted by Mamabug View Post
        Made goals.

Average steps 1497 per day.
        PT at home; strength training 4x.
        Silver Sneakers 1x.
        Fantastic exercise week, Mamabug! Nice mix of workouts!
        PPMS for 26 years (dx 1998)
        ~ Worrying will not take away tomorrow's troubles ~ But it will take away today's peace. ~

Comment

Originally posted by 502E79 View Post
          Did have to cut back on my leg workouts, but persisted on getting something done. Real minimal, but the overall goal remains the same... maintain as much as I can... for as long as I can.
          Well said, Jer! Also, making adjustments as needed, in order to keep going, is essential.

Originally posted by 502E79
          The week consisted of a daily session of stretching, 5 days at 20+ minutes each, in apartment + 3x in gym at 10 minutes each, after workout.

2.5+ hours of core / upper body with the above mentioned minimal leg stuff over entire week. Did do more walking and used the stairs more often too!
          Good stuff! Great effort with working out the important body areas.

Sleep may be better but last night when I expected zzzz's - nada! Never get what you expect.
          True enough!

Cannot gain weight but at least I appear to have stopped vanishing into thin air.
          I hear ya, Jer!

All is well, let's keep at it!
          Yes!

~ Worrying will not take away tomorrow's troubles ~ But it will take away today's peace. ~

Comment

Hi everyone!

Hope you're doing your best to be light-hearted, even with the challenges.

Not easy to do, but i keep reminding myself that it feels better than being downtrodden.

Well, I was able to achieve my exercise goals, and very grateful for that.

For most days last week, I was able to tolerate being up on my feet for 30 min at least 4X per day.

And to be clear, each 30 min includes standing, as well as taking steps. I haven't been able to walk continuously for 30 min, without stopping to stand, in quite awhile.

The important thing for me is being up on my feet, which is very beneficial for many reasons.

I've been experimenting with the anti-spasticity drug Tizanidine.

Started with 1 mg (1/2 of 2 mg tablet) due to concerns of losing too much muscle tone, resulting in weaker legs.

The first few doses put me to sleep. My doctor said to give Tizanidine a couple weeks for side effects to subside.

After (6) 1 mg doses, I'm no longer zonking out.

Took a whole tablet (2 mg) in the middle of the night, to see if I had any benefits the next day.

Too early to evaluate yet, but I was able to swing my MS affected leg forward a little easier than usual.

I'll be tickled pink if this is a benefit of the drug, as I won't have to lean so hard on my other foot.

Time will tell.

I'm going to attempt being up on my feet for 30min, 4X a day next week. The foot pain and discomfort is still gone, thank goodness.

Daily: Up on feet and light activity (walk/stand) 4X per day @ 30 min each+ Stretches throughout the day + Breathing exercises

4X Per Week: In-chair ab crunches (20 each time) + Arm, Leg, Core, and Back Exercises

May we be calm, patient, strong, and of good courage.

Comment

Originally posted by KoKo View Post
              Hi everyone!

Hope you're doing your best to be light-hearted, even with the challenges.

Not easy to do, but i keep reminding myself that it feels better than being downtrodden.

Well, I was able to achieve my exercise goals, and very grateful for that.

For most days last week, I was able to tolerate being up on my feet for 30 min at least 4X per day.

And to be clear, each 30 min includes standing, as well as taking steps. I haven't been able to walk continuously for 30 min, without stopping to stand, in quite awhile.

The important thing for me is being up on my feet, which is very beneficial for many reasons.

I've been experimenting with the anti-spasticity drug Tizanidine.

Started with 1 mg (1/2 of 2 mg tablet) due to concerns of losing too much muscle tone, resulting in weaker legs.

The first few doses put me to sleep. My doctor said to give Tizanidine a couple weeks for side effects to subside.

After (6) 1 mg doses, I'm no longer zonking out.

Took a whole tablet (2 mg) in the middle of the night, to see if I had any benefits the next day.

Too early to evaluate yet, but I was able to swing my MS affected leg forward a little easier than usual.

I'll be tickled pink if this is a benefit of the drug, as I won't have to lean so hard on my other foot.

Time will tell.

I'm going to attempt being up on my feet for 30min, 4X a day next week. The foot pain and discomfort is still gone, thank goodness.

Daily: Up on feet and light activity (walk/stand) 4X per day @ 30 min each+ Stretches throughout the day + Breathing exercises

4X Per Week: In-chair ab crunches (20 each time) + Arm, Leg, Core, and Back Exercises

May we be calm, patient, strong, and of good courage.

Hi KoKo!

Sit to stand 4x a day @ 30 minutes each with some movin' about... Not shoddy at all! Love hearing this K! BTW I'm not too sure about maintaining any steady walking past 30 minutes either. An inner voice keeps saying don't push it. I'm still learning to listen but the voice growers louder....

Also happy that the foot pain is in the rear view mirror!

Read the other posts as to the drug you are revisiting, but had nothing to say since I've not tried anything. Along those lines, I plan on getting an OD or MD here at new location, this coming week. Drugs may come up.

Really happy about your back at 4x! Thanks for thoughts / comments as to last week - appreciate the cheerleader in you!

Comment

Working...
              X