Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Goalposters 1/6 Check-In

Hi everyone!

Hope your new year is going smooth so far.

Wasn't sure if Mamabug is back from vacation yet, (or recovering from it ).

Were you able to exercise during the week? Did you manage to get some stretching done?

What about household chores, grocery shopping, walking?

Make some exercise goals for next week (doable ones) and when accomplished, enjoy your success!

Let us know how you're doing, regardless.
    PPMS for 26 years (dx 1998)
    ~ Worrying will not take away tomorrow's troubles ~ But it will take away today's peace. ~

Hey everyone!

I achieved my exercise goals, and even managed a little extra credit with some more than usual moving about.

I just felt really good last week (could it be due to the holiday 'fun foods'?)

Anyways, it's wonderful when there are days that are easier, with less of a struggle.

I truly savor these times of welcome reprieve, and feel much gratitude when they show up.

Wishing many easier, smoother days for all of us.

Same exercise goals for next week.

Daily: Up on feet and light activity (walk/stand) 5X a day @ 30 min each + Stretches throughout the day + Breathing exercises

4X Per Week: In-chair ab crunches (20 each time) + Arm, Leg, Core, and Back Exercises

May we be calm, patient, strong, and of good courage.​
    ~ Worrying will not take away tomorrow's troubles ~ But it will take away today's peace. ~

Comment

Originally posted by KoKo View Post

...even managed a little extra credit with some more than usual moving about....Anyways, it's wonderful when there are days that are easier, with less of a struggle. I truly savor these times of welcome reprieve, and feel much gratitude when they show up.

Good to hear KoKo! Savor is the right word too. Kind of a double success: more moving and less struggle. Nice way to begin another year. Congratulations!

My week was fine although there were a few mornings where the first dozen steps or so were very painful. Excessive use of bad leg is my best guess. Muscle contracts while sleeping (or attempting to sleep) to such an extent that the entire leg upon standing wants to collapse. It doesn't last long but is disconcerting.

Still applying myself to establishing routines but realizing that the spontaneity that came with moving in itself may hold the reward of being able to shift gears which are still part of my new life. I may have been overly disciplined, intent in focus as to exercise, that the change-up life often demands was neglected.

So I'm going with the flow and despite the rough mornings at times, manage to feel accomplished at the end of the day.

Eased off pool this week due to leg. Did stretching four 4 days, 80 minutes total. So-so.

About 3 hours total at gym, upper body (including upper / lower back & core) mostly but did do some limited leg work.

And a lot of cautious, slow walking. FWIW... stairs near apartment are now used once a week!

Let's keep at it!

Comment

Originally posted by 502E79 View Post
        My week was fine although there were a few mornings where the first dozen steps or so were very painful. Excessive use of bad leg is my best guess. Muscle contracts while sleeping (or attempting to sleep) to such an extent that the entire leg upon standing wants to collapse. It doesn't last long but is disconcerting.
        Glad that doesn't last very long.

Still applying myself to establishing routines but realizing that the spontaneity that came with moving in itself may hold the reward of being able to shift gears which are still part of my new life. I may have been overly disciplined, intent in focus as to exercise, that the change-up life often demands was neglected.
        Rigid routines are not easy to follow (for us).

Eased off pool this week due to leg. Did stretching four 4 days, 80 minutes total. So-so.

About 3 hours total at gym, upper body (including upper / lower back & core) mostly but did do some limited leg work.

And a lot of cautious, slow walking. FWIW... stairs near apartment are now used once a week!
        Great effort, Jer!

And these stairs go to where?

Comment

And these stairs go to where?
          Stairs are at the end of each building wing, elevators at center. My apartment is very close to stairwell. If my destination is in that direction it is easier than heading to elevator and backtracking on a different level.

For me there are 2 restaurants and a in-house market in the stairwell direction.

Thanks for your comments KoKo, The Goalposters tradition lives! Hey Mamabug how are you?

Comment

Stairs are at the end of each building wing, elevators at center. My apartment is very close to stairwell. If my destination is in that direction it is easier than heading to elevator and backtracking on a different level.

For me there are 2 restaurants and a in-house market in the stairwell direction.

Gotcha! Thank you for expounding Jer.

Thanks for your comments KoKo, The Goalposters tradition lives!

Yes, it still lives. Hopefully Boudreaux, Mamabug, and Seasha (and any newcomers) stop by for a report on how they're doing, and if they're able to get some physical activity achieved (in line with their own personal abilities).

Comment

My report isn't good. Other than occasional PT exercises at home, I haven't done any exercise for a few weeks. I'm also not sure what I want my goals to be, going forward. I'm concerned about group exercise, with COVID numbers up again, and not wearing a mask while exercising.
              ~ Faith
              MSWorld Volunteer -- Moderator since JUN2012
              (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
              - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.
              - In 2008, I was back in limbo briefly, then re-dx w/ MS: JUL08

- Betaseron NOV03-AUG08; Copaxone20 SEPT08-APR15; Copaxone40 APR15-present
              - Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Comment

Hi Mamabug!

Originally posted by Mamabug View Post
                I'm also not sure what I want my goals to be, going forward. I'm concerned about group exercise, with COVID numbers up again, and not wearing a mask while exercising.
                Glad that you checked-in Mamabug.

Maybe create a plan for in-home exercises?

Use a canned good as a dumbbell for arm exercises, take steps inside the house, in-chair ab crunches, in-chair leg lifts, etc.

The possibilities for simple exercises are practically endless.

Good luck!

Comment

Originally posted by Mamabug View Post
                  My report isn't good. Other than occasional PT exercises at home, I haven't done any exercise for a few weeks. I'm also not sure what I want my goals to be, going forward. I'm concerned about group exercise, with COVID numbers up again, and not wearing a mask while exercising.
                  Hi Faith!

Glad you posted & are back from the holiday festivities.

Your concerns are everyones concerns when it comes to Covid variations and the current uptick. I could quote the latest but where you live it may be different.

When I exercise now, everyone is masked as requested. Where I last lived... no one. Aside from political statement or conspiracy theory stands exercise itself. We need to use what we have.

KoKo's right; possibilities for simple exercises are endless. We can exercise with a mask on (even if others aren't considerate), or do something / anything alone!

We aren't in training for a marathon, we're just being active not passive. Steady breathing: yes, Getting winded and panting: no.

Again, welcome back Mamabug!

Comment

Maybe create a plan for in-home exercises?

Use a canned good as a dumbbell for arm exercises, take steps inside the house, in-chair ab crunches, in-chair leg lifts, etc.

The possibilities for simple exercises are practically endless.

Good luck!
                    None of these are new ideas to me. I don't need to use canned goods; I have weights. I have lots of YouTube links. I have PT exercise ideas from a physical therapist.

I don't need ideas. If you could bottle some motivation and ship it to me, that's what I need.

~ Faith
                    MSWorld Volunteer -- Moderator since JUN2012
                    (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
                    - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.
                    - In 2008, I was back in limbo briefly, then re-dx w/ MS: JUL08

- Betaseron NOV03-AUG08; Copaxone20 SEPT08-APR15; Copaxone40 APR15-present
                    - Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Comment

Working...
                    X