• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Goalposters check-in thread 12-09-2021

3 checked in last week.

2 made goals
    1 didn't make goals.

Hey -- I STILL miss hearing from our other regulars. Even if you aren't setting goals.
    ~ Faith
    MSWorld Volunteer -- Moderator since JUN2012
    (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
    - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.
    - In 2008, I was back in limbo briefly, then re-dx w/ MS: JUL08

- Betaseron NOV03-AUG08; Copaxone20 SEPT08-APR15; Copaxone40 APR15-present
    - Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

I'll say that I made goal.

1 Silver Sneakers
    1 Senior balance Some days I probably had more steps than normal because I was busy.

2 PT at home
    ~ Faith
    MSWorld Volunteer -- Moderator since JUN2012
    (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
    - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.
    - In 2008, I was back in limbo briefly, then re-dx w/ MS: JUL08

- Betaseron NOV03-AUG08; Copaxone20 SEPT08-APR15; Copaxone40 APR15-present
    - Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Comment

Hey Mamabug ~ nice job on achieving your exercise goals!

~~~ I accomplished my exercise goals too.

I had a good week, with no predicaments to wriggle out of.

My walking, and overall physical activities, went A-OK.

Challenging per usual, but no complaints.

Working daily on acquiring and maintaining an inner calm, even if the waves appear and my boat wants to start rocking.

It's a very interesting endeavor.

My thinking, my mood, my attitude, and my physical abilities are all at their best when I'm calm inside.

I haven't found any benefits to being nervous and tied-up in knots on the inside.

My exercise goals for next week will remain the same.

Daily: Up on feet and light activity (walk/stand) 5X a day @ 30 min each + Stretches throughout the day + Breathing exercises

4X Per Week: In-chair ab crunches (20 each time) + Arm, Leg, Core, and Back Exercises

May we be calm, patient, strong, and of good courage.​

PPMS for 26 years (dx 1998)
      ~ Worrying will not take away tomorrow's troubles ~ But it will take away today's peace. ~

Comment

Hi KoKo & Mamabug!

Well, I'll make it three... as to making goals this past week! My goal was to return to routines interrupted by my move. Not there yet but a good effort without any predicaments as KoKo mentioned.

4 days of morning stretching in apartment at 20 minute each. Not at past benchmarks but ok, coming along.

2 early afternoons at gym. Cardio both times but half the distance & time... .6 mile, 10 minutes?

Upper body mix with leg work / core stuff. 50 to 60 minutes. May be getting a better idea of equipment usage but still shying away from some leg stuff due to walking distance returning to apartment. I believe walking is being tested here and remain very cautious as to overdoing it.

1 mid-afternoon at pool. The highlight. 50 minutes only but I had a routine in mind and stayed with it. Balance so-so but was working at 5'+ due to water walkers in shallower area. Made a note to self to try to be more social with others and not lose focus on my routines. Never believed in multi-tasking but will try.

Originally posted by KoKo View Post

Working daily on acquiring and maintaining an inner calm, even if the waves appear and my boat wants to start rocking.

It's a very interesting endeavor.

My thinking, my mood, my attitude, and my physical abilities are all at their best when I'm calm inside.

I haven't found any benefits to being nervous and tied-up in knots on the inside.

K, I've thought about these things often. And I agree totally. I might get blow-back from this but here goes....

We read and hear others say a variation of "I might have MS, but MS doesn't have me." Well you have MS and it does have you. It will take whatever course it will take. Some may find relief for sx. Others may feel they have delayed the disease by choosing a course of treatment(s). We Goalposters think that applying ourselves through exercise helps us to maintain or even improve our abilities.

Each of us finds our own way to continue. But we continue with the monkey. He's our monkey! Fighting fire with fire gets you nothing but ashes. Compromise is more encompassing and I think defines KoKo's inner calm. If today something isn't doable it's not doable, maybe tomorrow.

And maybe not.

This is when we need yield. We continue to try, but by accepting our smaller world we become richer.

There is strength in knowing you are weak.

Let's all keep at it!

Comment

Hello Jer!

Originally posted by 502E79 View Post
          4 days of morning stretching in apartment at 20 minute each. Not at past benchmarks but ok, coming along.

2 early afternoons at gym. Cardio both times but half the distance & time... .6 mile, 10 minutes?

Upper body mix with leg work / core stuff. 50 to 60 minutes. May be getting a better idea of equipment usage but still shying away from some leg stuff due to walking distance returning to apartment. I believe walking is being tested here and remain very cautious as to overdoing it.

1 mid-afternoon at pool. The highlight. 50 minutes only but I had a routine in mind and stayed with it. Balance so-so but was working at 5'+ due to water walkers in shallower area.

Super effort on your exercise goals!

It sure hasn't taken you very long to get back at it! I really like your steadfastness and perseverance, Jer.

May your rewards be plentiful.

Made a note to self to try to be more social with others and not lose focus on my routines. Never believed in multi-tasking but will try.

Well, lots of luck with that, Jer!

I try, but still have to tell others not to say anything important, or ask me any questions, and that's just while I'm focusing on my walking rhythm.

We read and hear others say a variation of "I might have MS, but MS doesn't have me." Well you have MS and it does have you. It will take whatever course it will take. Some may find relief for sx. Others may feel they have delayed the disease by choosing a course of treatment(s). We Goalposters think that applying ourselves through exercise helps us to maintain or even improve our abilities.

Each of us finds our own way to continue. But we continue with the monkey. He's our monkey! Fighting fire with fire gets you nothing but ashes. Compromise is more encompassing and I think defines KoKo's inner calm. If today something isn't doable it's not doable, maybe tomorrow.

And maybe not.

This is when we need yield. We continue to try, but by accepting our smaller world we become richer.

There is strength in knowing you are weak.

Very profound, oh wise one!
          Last edited by KoKo; 12-11-2021, 07:24 AM.
          PPMS for 26 years (dx 1998)
          ~ Worrying will not take away tomorrow's troubles ~ But it will take away today's peace. ~

Comment

Working...
          X