• Show
Clear All

The Goalposters Exercise Check-in 07-29-2021

5 checked in last week.

2 made goals
    2 made partial goals
    1 didn't make goals.

For new Exercisers:
    Feel free to join us. You set your own goals. You can keep the same goals week-to-week, or modify them. You decide if you accomplished them. Check in once a week to let us know how you did last week.
    ~ Faith
    MSWorld Volunteer -- Moderator since JUN2012
    (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
    - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.
    - In 2008, I was back in limbo briefly, then re-dx w/ MS: JUL08

- Betaseron NOV03-AUG08; Copaxone20 SEPT08-APR15; Copaxone40 APR15-present
    - Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Just partial goals again. I'm short on exercise.

Goals I had set:
    - Exercise 3x (group exercise, or something else active)
    - PT at home once or twice
    - Average in the range of 1200-1500 steps per day.

Goals I accomplished:
    - Exercised 1x at Silver Sneakers and 1x at Senior Balance. Exercised on Tuesday and Wednesday this week. But last Thursday was my second day in Kansas City and I didn't make the effort, again, to do something else this week.
    - PT at home 2x
    - Average steps per day: 1319

For the next few weeks, my goal is just to record exercise. Hopefully, I'll get adequate steps and PT. We are planning to go to Canada for 2+ weeks in mid- to late-August. It's complicated. Before we go, we need to get COVID tested (the right test, at the right time, etc) and more complications at the border, including the possibility of the trip falling through because the Canadian border officials might go on strike just days before the Canadian border opens to vaccinated, non-essential travelers. So ... , I'm being extra careful these two weeks so I reduce the risk of exposure to unvaccinated people, and vaccinated break-through cases that are asymptomatic. I'm planning to skip group exercises since I can't wear my mask while I exercise. And ... , no promises that I'll do something else instead.

My usual week's goals:
    - Exercise 3x (group exercise, or something else active)
    - PT at home once or twice
    - Average in the range of 1200-1500 steps per day. If i do better, it's a bonus.
    ~ Faith
    MSWorld Volunteer -- Moderator since JUN2012
    (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
    - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.
    - In 2008, I was back in limbo briefly, then re-dx w/ MS: JUL08

- Betaseron NOV03-AUG08; Copaxone20 SEPT08-APR15; Copaxone40 APR15-present
    - Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Comment

Originally posted by Mamabug View Post
      So ... , I'm being extra careful these two weeks so I reduce the risk of exposure to unvaccinated people, and vaccinated break-through cases that are asymptomatic. I'm planning to skip group exercises since I can't wear my mask while I exercise. And ... , no promises that I'll do something else instead.
      I don't blame you for skipping exercise classes right now, Mamabug and playing it safe. This Delta variant is scary stuff even for vaccinated people!

I was pleased to make my goal this past week:
      Babysat 2x
      In the garden weeding and harvesting vegies 4x, but due to the heat, kept time out there shorter than usual.

Blueberries too - yum!

Hope to keep my goal of 4-5x week
      Keep up with your goals, y'all.
      Last edited by Seasha; 07-30-2021, 11:53 PM.
      1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
      Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Comment

Hi everyone!

Mamabug ~ Good luck with your at-home exercising!

Seasha ~ Terrific job on accomplishing your exercise goals!

~~~ My exercises went well, and I achieved my goals.

Stretching throughout the day is a must-do for me, as staying loose improves my ability to move my arms and legs.

Being up on my feet (walk / stand) for 30 min - 5X a day is also very important for many reasons. It is beneficial for blood circulation, respiratory function, digestive system - to name a few.

The exercises that I do are not heavy-duty, or exhausting - but they are valuable to my well-being, nonetheless.

I am extremely grateful for the abilities that I do have, at this time.

Same exercise goals for next week.

Daily: Up on feet and light activity (walk/stand) 5X a day @ 30 min each + Stretches throughout the day + Breathing exercises

4X Per Week: In-chair ab crunches (20 each time) + Arm, Leg, Core, and Back Exercises

May we be calm, patient, strong, and of good courage.​

PPMS for 26 years (dx 1998)
        ~ Worrying will not take away tomorrow's troubles ~ But it will take away today's peace. ~

Comment

Mamabug! I hope your trip goes smooth and exercise can certainly take a back seat when relationships are involved. Good luck with your planned routines regardless! At times I wonder if this pandemic will ever end.

Seasha... Blueberries too - yum! Got my attention... and you already know how I feel about weeding. Keep it going! You too KoKo; "... {exercises} are valuable to my well-being, nonetheless. I am extremely grateful for the abilities that I do have, at this time." Says everything.

There are going to be a lot of weeks in the near future that exercise accomplishments will be partial but to echo KoKo, I'm grateful to be cognizant of emotional and mental aspects of doing all that needs doing as to my upcoming plans (moving, prepping house for sale and all that goes with it). ADL? I think it qualifies. And things are getting done as well as some exercise. Win - win!

In a way these last weeks have brought me to the "me" of 20 years ago. Add to it the maturity MS forces on us! I feel alive. Like a good exercise session, you do it and get a feeling of overall improvement.

Life will not always be as uplifting but I may have begun to yield more. Like it.

Comment

Hey there Jer!

Originally posted by 502E79 View Post
            MamabugThere are going to be a lot of weeks in the near future that exercise accomplishments will be partial but to echo KoKo, I'm grateful to be cognizant of emotional and mental aspects of doing all that needs doing as to my upcoming plans (moving, prepping house for sale and all that goes with it). ADL? I think it qualifies. And things are getting done as well as some exercise. Win - win!

In a way these last weeks have brought me to the "me" of 20 years ago. Add to it the maturity MS forces on us! I feel alive. Like a good exercise session, you do it and get a feeling of overall improvement.

Life will not always be as uplifting but I may have begun to yield more. Like it.
            Your insights and perspectives are inspiring, Jer. Love your posts!

You do, (and will as time goes on), have quite a bit of important (and stressful) things to deal with.

Wishing you calm, patience, stamina, wisdom, (and anything else that you may need), taking things one day at a time!

~ Worrying will not take away tomorrow's troubles ~ But it will take away today's peace. ~

Comment

Jer and KoKo - you both have been such a great inspiration for me! You both send good reminders that whatever we can achieve on a daily basis depends so much on attitude and perspective.

I got into a semi-dire situation last night and I thought to you both of practicing deep breathing and patience to get me though the worst of it. Much better than wallowing in tears!
              1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
              Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Comment

Hi Seasha!

Originally posted by Seasha View Post
                Jer and KoKo - you both have been such a great inspiration for me! You both send good reminders that
                whatever we can achieve on a daily basis depends so much on attitude and perspective.

Thanks Seasha.

]I got into a semi-dire situation last night and I thought to you both of practicing deep breathing and patience to get me though the worst of it. Much better than wallowing in tears!
                Good to know that you made it through your situation.

The evolution of my breath work, meditation practice, prayers, and self-talk was truly born out of necessity!

With the frequent 'predicaments' that I was getting myself into, I was heading for an existence of severe anxiety and being frightened out of my wits, on a daily basis!

Comment

Originally posted by KoKo View Post
                  Hey there Jer!

Your insights and perspectives are inspiring, Jer. Love your posts!

You do, (and will as time goes on), have quite a bit of important (and stressful) things to deal with.

Wishing you calm, patience, stamina, wisdom, (and anything else that you may need), taking things one day at a time!

Thank you KoKo.

Comment

Jer and KoKo - you both have been such a great inspiration for me! You both send good reminders that whatever we can achieve on a daily basis depends so much on attitude and perspective.

I got into a semi-dire situation last night and I thought to you both of practicing deep breathing and patience to get me though the worst of it. Much better than wallowing in tears!

Seasha! Amen on the breathing and nix to the wallowing.

Comment

Working...
                    X