• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Goalposters Exercise Check-in 06-03-2021

4 checked in last week.

4 made goals.

For new Exercisers:
    Feel free to join us. You set your own goals. You can keep the same goals week-to-week, or modify them. You decide if you accomplished them. Check in once a week to let us know how you did last week.
    ~ Faith
    MSWorld Volunteer -- Moderator since JUN2012
    (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
    - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.
    - In 2008, I was back in limbo briefly, then re-dx w/ MS: JUL08

- Betaseron NOV03-AUG08; Copaxone20 SEPT08-APR15; Copaxone40 APR15-present
    - Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Goals I had set:
    - Exercise 3x (group exercise, or something else active)
    - PT at home once or twice
    - Increase steps from 1361.

Goals I accomplished:
    - Exercised 3x. 1 Silver Sneakers, 1 Senior Balance, 1 bike ride with hubby
    - PT at home 2x
    - Average steps per day: 1243.
    Made partial goals. I didn't get enough steps.

Next week's goals:
    - Exercise 3x (group exercise, or something else active)
    - PT at home once or twice
    - I'm not going to push myself to keep increasing steps right now. My goal is to average in the range of 1200-1500 steps per day. That's not as many as my pre-COVID goal of 2000, but it's possibly twice as many as some weeks during 2020. I think that it's more important that I focus on group exercise and PT at home.
    ~ Faith
    MSWorld Volunteer -- Moderator since JUN2012
    (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
    - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.
    - In 2008, I was back in limbo briefly, then re-dx w/ MS: JUL08

- Betaseron NOV03-AUG08; Copaxone20 SEPT08-APR15; Copaxone40 APR15-present
    - Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Comment

Hey Mamabug!

Originally posted by Mamabug View Post

Goals I accomplished:
      - Exercised 3x. 1 Silver Sneakers, 1 Senior Balance, 1 bike ride with hubby
      - PT at home 2x
      - Average steps per day: 1243.
      Made partial goals. I didn't get enough steps.
      Mamabug ~ I think you did fantastic with your exercise goals!

Originally posted by Mamabug View Post
      - I'm not going to push myself to keep increasing steps right now. My goal is to average in the range of 1200-1500 steps per day. That's not as many as my pre-COVID goal of 2000, but it's possibly twice as many as some weeks during 2020. I think that it's more important that I focus on group exercise and PT at home.
      I really like your assessment of what goals to prioritize. You know best what you need.

~ I was able to achieve my goals, with a few extra chores for added bonus.

My sit-to-stand is so much better. I swear that my muscles were developing amnesia for awhile there. So, I remind them what to do by telling them (out loud).

My new lift-off routine is sort of like a challenge game. When I go to stand up, with each effort at rising, I tell my body to "go up a little higher!" than the previous try. So it's like an incremental, gradual increase in the height of the rise.

So far, my very best lift-off score is 3 (3 incremental tries, each one higher than the previous one). It would be wonderful if that could be my new normal - easy as 1-2-3!

I no longer try and try for the whole enchalada (trying to stand up all the way with each effort) which used to just frustrate me and cause anxiety (which in turn made everything worse).

I don't know if this makes sense to anyone else, but I don't know any other way to describe it.

Anyways, I'm sticking with the current exercise goals for next week.

Daily: Up on feet and light activity (walk/stand) 6X a day @ 30 min each + Stretches throughout the day + Breathing exercises

4X Per Week: In-chair ab crunches (20 each time) + Arm, Leg, Core, and Back Exercises

May we be calm, patient, strong, and of good courage.

PPMS for 26 years (dx 1998)
      ~ Worrying will not take away tomorrow's troubles ~ But it will take away today's peace. ~

Comment

Hi everybody!

Mamabug, I'm with KoKo, great job... gauging what not to do is as important as deciding what to do.

Originally posted by KoKo View Post
        My sit-to-stand is so much better. I swear that my muscles were developing amnesia for awhile there. So, I remind them what to do by telling them (out loud).
        Yeah. I like to think I'm keeping the circuit open to prevent the "amnesia"... maybe even developing a new "roundabout" to get the signal to the muscle. Something positive anyhow.

My new lift-off routine is sort of like a challenge game. When I go to stand up, with each effort at rising, I tell my body to "go up a little higher!" than the previous try. So it's like an incremental, gradual increase in the height of the rise.
        Something that might lift your spirits. At times in gym, I would pass by Silver Sneaker session/room. Everyone with a chair, many much younger than I, none with MS.... Many have problems, a lot of priming-the-pump from what I could see.

I no longer try and try for the whole enchalada (trying to stand up all the way with each effort) which used to just frustrate me and cause anxiety (which in turn made everything worse).

I don't know if this makes sense to anyone else, but I don't know any other way to describe it.
        I may do 60 reps of this... 40 reps of that but as my trainer would say, break up the sets if need be. The journey is as important as the destination.

I don't have time to publish my week, was on phone for a while since beginning my reply. More to come.

Comment

Look at Mamabug on the comeback. Nice work.

That mind-muscle connection is important Koko.

I'm still in a bit of rest phase right now....taking it light....staying active but not really setting goals. Keep it going!
          The future depends on what you do today.- Gandhi

Comment

I'm back. All is well but a varied schedule this past week and this coming week too.

First ....welcome back Boudreaux! Not a single thing the matter with rest.

Last week overall was partial as to goals but rewarding regardless. The stretching routines were the same in length, about 120 minutes minutes over 5 days. Order of the routine now has overhead pole stretching near end. Working out better than previous week so I'll take it.

Core work solid, no change. Less cardio time, an hour + (stepper, elliptical, treadmill) but maintained good wind. Normal time spent (90 minutes?) with upper body sessions went well enough because it didn't effect next days pole stretching. Hooray!

Low point was leg work. Poor leg may be worse & good leg, fine in cardio room, falters on strength equipment. I didn't push it.

This coming week looks to be similar with time being limited. Let's keep at it.

Hey Seasha, waaasss up?

Comment

Originally posted by 502E79 View Post
              Hey Seasha, waaasss up?
              Hey all! I was out of town for a couple days visiting some family members, but glad to hear you've all been staying active.

I only made a partial goal and found even that was challenging. I will continue to do what I can, but not setting goals right now, as it's causing some anxiety- not a good thing for me right now.

Good week ahead team!!
              1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
              Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Comment

Hey Boudreaux!

Originally posted by Boudreaux View Post
                I'm still in a bit of rest phase right now....taking it light....staying active but not really setting goals. Keep it going!
                Active-lite! Sounds like a good plan, Boudreaux.

Originally posted by Boudreaux View Post
                That mind-muscle connection is important Koko.
                Yes, you're right-on about that. Plenty of opportunities for working on it!

Also, forgot to mention that I have been using visualization too. It's pretty amazing.
                ~ Worrying will not take away tomorrow's troubles ~ But it will take away today's peace. ~

Comment

Hey Jer!

Originally posted by 502E79 View Post

Last week overall was partial as to goals but rewarding regardless. The stretching routines were the same in length, about 120 minutes minutes over 5 days. Order of the routine now has overhead pole stretching near end. Working out better than previous week so I'll take it.

Core work solid, no change. Less cardio time, an hour + (stepper, elliptical, treadmill) but maintained good wind. Normal time spent (90 minutes?) with upper body sessions went well enough because it didn't effect next days pole stretching. Hooray!

Low point was leg work. Poor leg may be worse & good leg, fine in cardio room, falters on strength equipment. I didn't push it.
                  Glad to hear that your pole stretching is going better since the change in routines.

Regarding your leg work, are you doing the strength training on the same day as stepper, elliptical, and treadmill? Might be too much?

In any case, you had a rewarding week, Jer!

Comment

Hey Seasha!

Originally posted by Seasha View Post

Hey all! I was out of town for a couple days visiting some family members, but glad to hear you've all been staying active.

I only made a partial goal and found even that was challenging. I will continue to do what I can, but not setting goals right now, as it's causing some anxiety- not a good thing for me right now.
                    I would surely need recovery time from going out of town visiting.

Take good care of yourself, Seasha. Anxiety is awful to deal with, as I know all too well.

Comment

Regarding your leg work, are you doing the strength training on the same day as stepper, elliptical, and treadmill? Might be too much?
                      Hi KoKo,

Sorry to be late getting back to your question. This week is as busy as I thought it could be and we are looking at Tuesday! Yikes.

I do two or sometimes all three (stepper, elliptical, and treadmill) 3 times a week (25 minutes or just over 1.75 miles per)

Last week was the first time I skipped the cardio warm up and went straight to core work followed by legs for remainder of session. Leg (s) were not as responsive as one would have thought. Jury still out.

This week has many twist and turns... It's only Tuesday and I know we are talking partial.

J

Comment

Working...
                      X