Clear All

The Goalposters Exercise Check-in for 04-15-2021

5 checked in last week.

5 made goals.
    ~ Faith
    MSWorld Volunteer -- Moderator since JUN2012
    (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
    - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.
    - In 2008, I was back in limbo briefly, then re-dx w/ MS: JUL08

- Betaseron NOV03-AUG08; Copaxone20 SEPT08-APR15; Copaxone40 APR15-present
    - Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Hello everyone

Another week has gone by. Can't believe how time seems to pass so quickly for me.

I'm grateful to report that overall, I had a good week.

Not quite as smooth as the past 2 1/2 weeks have been, but I'm ok with that.

A physical challenge, that I'm pretty sure can be improved upon, is my sit-to-stand.

I'm going to try a few different strategies this week. I'm determined to retain this precious ability, for as long as possible.

So, in addition to my current goals, I will be working on my sit-to-stand techniques.

Daily: Up on feet and light activity (walk/stand) 6X a day @ 30 min each + Stretches throughout the day + Breathing exercises

4X Per Week: In-chair ab crunches (20 each time) + Arm, Leg, Core, and Back Exercises

Practice Sit-to-Stand Techniques

May we be calm, patient, strong, and of good courage.

PPMS for 23 years (dx 1998)
    ~ Worrying will not take away tomorrow's troubles ~ But it will take away today's peace. ~

Comment

Hi Mamabug and KoKo!

Yeah another week passed. They are moving very quickly and I try to keep up. Probably could call that exercise too!

M, Have been following your other post and continue with prayers for something positive to surface soon!

K, regarding sit-to-stand, which I do also. My trainer introduced a 6-8" inflated ball, held between knees. The reason was to prevent poor right leg from "caving" into good leg upon rising. Made sense, and I still employ this.

I'll say successful week. More time spent, more distance (steps) without clock checks! and fair to good success regardless of exercise. Many reasons: empty gym, mental attitude near top of list.

Have confirmed that strength exercise for arms effect ROM stretching the following day. No brainer really, but takes humility to realize that the "new" me gets a choice and not both. So, to quote a sage... I'm ok with that!

Biggest benefit has been the mental attitude. I also believe that prayers, maybe more this week than normal, takes my mind off my problems and puts them in better hands. Proper exercise, no longer having to concern myself with form and position, opens the mind and heart to the concerns of others, yet another learning experience!

Let's keep at it.

Comment

Yay! Glad you made your goal, Jer and KoKo and had a good week! I have the sit-to-stand problem too, especially when I;ve been sitting for a long period of time. Wonder what techniques/exercises you use to help with that?

I made goal:
        Help with childcare 3 times 3/hrs each
        Worked out in garden - crawling on hands and knees - and planted a row of sugar snap peas!
        Light housework

Hoping for another week of some form of exercise 3/4 times

1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
        Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Comment

Originally posted by Seasha View Post
          Yay! Glad you made your goal, Jer and KoKo and had a good week! I have the sit-to-stand problem too, especially when I;ve been sitting for a long period of time. Wonder what techniques/exercises you use to help with that?

I made goal:
          Worked out in garden - crawling on hands and knees - and planted a row of sugar snap peas!
          Light housework

Hi Seasha!

Take care with the 3/3x childcare, if I remember the 2 times a week was a good fit. There is something to be said about crawling around in the dirt that brings a smile to my face! Thank you!

Regarding sit-to-stand: First try not to sit too long and use a straight back chair (higher seat).

Begin by checking foot position equidistant to edge of seat, lean forward and rise, pressing heels down. Center of gravity located directly over feet. Practice. Use support for balance or arm strength while rising. Use a ball or yoga block to space knees properly if necessary. Do 3 or 4 (more?) and rest.

To make more challenging lower height of seat, increase reps or try using leg strength only... leg balance only?

KoKo probably has a link for just this kind of thing!

If there is a secret it is having the humility to be willing to practice something that the rest of the world takes for granted.

Comment

Originally posted by 502E79 View Post
            Begin by checking foot position equidistant to edge of seat, lean forward and rise, pressing heels down. Center of gravity located directly over feet. Practice. Use support for balance or arm strength while rising. Use a ball or yoga block to space knees properly if necessary. Do 3 or 4 (more?) and rest.
            Thanks Jer. My problem is mostly in the evening after dinner, watching TV or movies and the coffee table is in the way of my walker for balance support, but I can always practice this exercise from a different chair!

If there is a secret it is having the humility to be willing to practice something that the rest of the world takes for granted.
            Isn't that the truth!!

Comment

Not much energy to report ver comprehensively. Probably made goal. PT some days. Trainer often cancels; came once. I did a few exercises.
              Last edited by Mamabug; 04-17-2021, 10:54 AM. Reason: Typo
              ~ Faith
              MSWorld Volunteer -- Moderator since JUN2012
              (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
              - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.
              - In 2008, I was back in limbo briefly, then re-dx w/ MS: JUL08

- Betaseron NOV03-AUG08; Copaxone20 SEPT08-APR15; Copaxone40 APR15-present
              - Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Comment

Hi there Jer!

K, regarding sit-to-stand, which I do also. My trainer introduced a 6-8" inflated ball, held between knees. The reason was to prevent poor right leg from "caving" into good leg upon rising. Made sense, and I still employ this.

Thank you for sharing your tip, Jer.

I'll give that a try, as my knees do cave in and bump up against each other, while rising from the seated position.

I'll say successful week. More time spent, more distance (steps) without clock checks! and fair to good success regardless of exercise. Many reasons: empty gym, mental attitude near top of list.

Magnifique! Mental attitude is so important, and in my case, (with anxiety and nervousness always poised to swoop in) needs to be adjusted often!

Biggest benefit has been the mental attitude. I also believe that prayers, maybe more this week than normal, takes my mind off my problems and puts them in better hands. Proper exercise, no longer having to concern myself with form and position, opens the mind and heart to the concerns of others, yet another learning experience!

Let's keep at it.
                Always appreciate your inspirations, Jer.

~ Worrying will not take away tomorrow's troubles ~ But it will take away today's peace. ~

Comment

Originally posted by Seasha View Post
                  I made goal:
                  Light housework

Terrific exercise week for you, Seasha!

Crawling on hands and knees is actually great exercise, and I remember an article that recommended it for people with MS, if they were able to do so.

Comment

Hello Mamabug!

Originally posted by Mamabug View Post
                    Not much energy to report ver comprehensively. Probably made goal. OT some days. Trainer often cancels; came once. I did a few exercises.
                    Mamabug, you've probably been under alot of stress lately.

Exercising may help to relieve some of that. Just doing some of your step goals might help.

In any case, wishing you some good luck!

Comment

Good to see you guys showing up to get after it. I've been on the mend lately. I thought I may have strained a hip adductor but once I had a little while to let it settle in I realize it's just my good old friend spacisity paying me a visit. My whole left side is tight with my lower body being the worst.. Went to neuro and got an order for PT and did that twice last week with more to come as schedule allows.

No runs....No Jiu Jitsu.......No worries.....
                      Life is good. Keep it going.
                      The future depends on what you do today.- Gandhi

Comment

Originally posted by Boudreaux View Post
                        Good to see you guys showing up to get after it. I've been on the mend lately. I thought I may have strained a hip adductor but once I had a little while to let it settle in I realize it's just my good old friend spacisity paying me a visit. My whole left side is tight with my lower body being the worst.. Went to neuro and got an order for PT and did that twice last week with more to come as schedule allows.

No runs....No Jiu Jitsu.......No worries.....
                        Life is good. Keep it going.
                        Hi Boudreaux!

Bummer to learn about your left side spasticity.

Glad that you're going to PT, and hopefully getting some relief.

I'm sure you don't want to be away from JJ for too long.

Wishing you a speedy time on-the-mend, Boudreaux!

Comment

Originally posted by Boudreaux View Post
                          I had a little while to let it settle in I realize it's just my good old friend spacisity paying me a visit. My whole left side is tight with my lower body being the worst.
                          Order of the day: gentle stretching.... best I've got. If the PT has better, please share!

Glad you're back Mike!

Comment

Take care, Boudreaux! Spasticity is not our friend
                            Good luck with the PT- it should help along with the stretching that Jer suggests.

Comment

Working...
                            X