Facial flushing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Facial flushing

Not sure what is causing this, but thought I'd ask you all. I've been having this sudden feeling of my head and face being very hot and my face gets all red... including my ears. It only lasts a short time and then it's done for a few days. Anyone???
    Marti

The only cure for insomnia is to get more sleep.

I have been experiencing this for months but multiple times a day. I can tell you from my experience I believe it's hot flashes as I'm going through menopause - haven't reached it yet. I'm 54 and still working on it...wish it would have happened by now. Looks like you've "been there done that" from what I see going by the "about me" section.

Comment

Interesting...I just read that menopause can last into their 60's and 70's for some.
      But it can also be a thyroid problem. Did I recall that you had some thyroid issues- can't remember exactly?
      An article about hyperthyroidism says:

Facial flushing. Hyperthyroidism increases blood flow in the extremities, which often causes the face to flush and the palms to turn red. Hypothyroidism produces the opposite effect and can leave you pale.
      https://pdxent.com/surprising-sympto...yroid-disease/

Lots of other symptoms that I didn't know about including fatigue, brain fog and anxiety to name a few!

It also lists:
      Hoarseness, mood swings, fertility problems, peripheral neuropathy, constipation, poor temperature regulation, muscle weakness, eye pain and pressure, vertigo, depression, headaches, shortness of breath and wounds that heal slowly.

I experience some of the symptoms listed myself and will be talking to my Dr when I have an appt in a month!
      1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
      Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Comment

I get that a lot in spring and summer. It can be related to steroids, high blood pressure, sun exposure (you don’t have to be sunburned), allergies, lack of sleep or all of the above at once...at least for me.

its hard to know if this is related to MS or just a confused immune system. When I first got dx I got a red rash all over my face. Went to neurologist and she said emphatically that is wasn’t MS it was an allergy.

Comment

Thanks guys. I believe this is a thyroid issue. The doctor recently changed my meds just a little, then a little more again. The flushing seems to have slowed down a little, but now the TN is kicking up again. Between MS and Thyroid disease we are hit with so many strange and unexplained annoying problems.
          Marti

Comment

This is NOT a thyroid issue. I talked with my primary and she lit up. Brought me some printed information about Red Ear Syndrome which they believe is related to MS and Trigeminal Neuralgia. I have a feeling I already told you all about this. Now I'm wondering if anyone here has experienced this. I had an "attack" of the flushing today and then later the TN kicked in. Very strange.
            Marti

Comment

Interesting, Marti. Red Ear Syndrome is rare, and to have it relating to your MS would be rarer still.

One of the possible causes is damage to the upper spine. Maybe it has something to do with a brainstem lesion? Let us know what your neuro thinks.

Here is some info about it ~

https://www.webmd.com/migraines-head...d-ear-syndrome
              Kimba

“When you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change.” ― Max Planck

Comment

Originally posted by Kimba22 View Post
                Interesting, Marti. Red Ear Syndrome is rare, and to have it relating to your MS would be rarer still.

One of the possible causes is damage to the upper spine. Maybe it has something to do with a brainstem lesion? Let us know what your neuro thinks.

Here is some info about it ~

https://www.webmd.com/migraines-head...d-ear-syndrome
                Thanks Kimba. The problem is slowing down, but the TN is speeding up and is becoming more frequent and stronger. I don't have a neuro at this time. Mine retired and I haven't asked about a new doctor yet. The flushing is uncomfortable, but it only lasts a few minutes. So I'm not really very worried about it. It just feels and looks so odd.
                Marti

Comment

Working...
                X