• Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Goalposters Exercise Check-in 01-29-2021

4 checked in last week.

4 made goals.

Awesome job!

For new Exercisers:
    Feel free to join us. You set your own goals. You can keep the same goals week-to-week, or modify them. You decide if you accomplished them. Check in once a week to let us know how you did last week.
    ~ Faith
    MSWorld Volunteer -- Moderator since JUN2012
    (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
    - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.
    - In 2008, I was back in limbo briefly, then re-dx w/ MS: JUL08

- Betaseron NOV03-AUG08; Copaxone20 SEPT08-APR15; Copaxone40 APR15-present
    - Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

You all did an awesome job last week. I didn't set a goal for last week, and I won't, again, for this week. Still recovering.

Here's an update. Following appointments with my PCP, a weekend visit to the ER because I was worried, and an appointment with my functional medicine doctor, things continued to get worse.

I was taking pain pills round the clock. My leg looked horrible; it had large infections, was scabby and "crusty". I had some possible dx of cellulitis and yeast infections. Whatever was going on had spread to my face, neck and chest. They were very dry, very red and blotchy. Treatments of antibiotics and anti-yeast were not helping.

My PCP was concerned when things looked worse, instead of better, at a second appointment. He referred me to a dermatologist. She said that she didn't "know what was going on", but she wanted to "go in a different direction". Instead of continuing on other treatments, she rx topical steroids and had me d/c some natural moisturizers (coconut oil, etc) that I'd been using, in case they were irritating my infections. She wants me to use Vaseline instead. I objected somewhat, because it's a petroleum product and petroleum is toxic. She gave me some samples of something else I could try, but it doesn't spread as easily and doesn't seem to work as well, so I'm doing it her way.

I saw her last Thursday, a week ago. My face was almost better the next day, even though the pharmacy didn't have the facial topical steroid available until a day later. Neck and chest are improved, less red (dark pink instead of bright red), less dry, pain is gone. My leg infection looks gone. It is still worse than my neck. Only occasional pain, and still pretty large red spots, but not scabby, infected and crusty anymore.

Next appointment is next week Thursday.

~ Faith
    MSWorld Volunteer -- Moderator since JUN2012
    (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
    - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.
    - In 2008, I was back in limbo briefly, then re-dx w/ MS: JUL08

- Betaseron NOV03-AUG08; Copaxone20 SEPT08-APR15; Copaxone40 APR15-present
    - Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Comment

Continued recovery for you, Mamabug! What an ordeal, but glad you are on the mend.

I made a partial goal. I didn't get a chance to get outside for a walk as it's been too cold for me!
      I did babysit twice,did some household cleaning and PT exercises for my wrist, but spent most of the week doing computer and paper work.

Weather permitting, will try for a walk
      Hope you all accomplished goals!
      1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
      Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Comment

Hi everyone

Mamabug, I'm glad that you are improving. Hope you're all healed up very soon.

Originally posted by Seasha View Post
        I made a partial goal. I didn't get a chance to get outside for a walk as it's been too cold for me!
        I did babysit twice,did some household cleaning and PT exercises for my wrist, but spent most of the week doing computer and paper work.
        Seasha, Terrific job on your partial goal activities!

I accomplished my exercise goals, which went well. Very thankful for that.

I had some predicaments to deal with, and had to call my sister to come over to help me. Been playing 'whack a mole' lately with MS related situations. This causes some nervous tension, which never helps. Been really working alot on my meditation and breathing practices.

Taking things one day at a time.

I'll stick with the current goals for next week.

Daily: Up on feet and light activity (walk/stand) 6X a day @ 30 min each + Stretches throughout the day + Breathing exercises

4X Per Week: In-chair ab crunches (20 each time) + Arm, Leg, Core, and Back Exercises

Good energy, good health, and peace of mind to all.
        PPMS for 26 years (dx 1998)
        ~ Worrying will not take away tomorrow's troubles ~ But it will take away today's peace. ~

Comment

Hi Everyone!

I read your post yesterday Mamabug, just before leaving for the gym. In 2012 I had something similar but far less involved. A motley rash (?) develop on the left side of my face, quite red, blotchy, with dry spots mixed in... found a tube of Metronidazole scripted by my OD. It worked very well. Back to normal within a few days. Well... like Seasha and KoKo, glad you too are getting back to normal or what passes for normal these days.

Amazingly achieved success despite brutal cold the last half of the week. Will skip the details but once again MS defies all expectations... some hard to do things went well, some expectations of partial success worked out better than I expected. KoKo's comments on stretching vs. strengthening muscle routines and spasticity were also in play.

More time was spent doing everything this past week, maybe because we are under the threat of a decent snow Monday - Tuesday and that will mean home workouts for a couple of days.

Well... good luck with the planned stroll Seasha. And KoKo I know what you mean about nervous tension which can freeze me just as effectively as cold weather. Thoughts & prayers K!

Hey Boudreaux... How did the 5x50 go this week?

Comment

Hey there, Jer

Originally posted by 502E79 View Post
            Amazingly achieved success despite brutal cold the last half of the week. Will skip the details but once again MS defies all expectations... some hard to do things went well, some expectations of partial success worked out better than I expected.
            Super! Glad you achieved some unexpected success with your physical activities. Love when that happens.

Originally posted by 502E79 View Post
            I know what you mean about nervous tension which can freeze me just as effectively as cold weather. Thoughts & prayers K!
            Freeze! You sure do get it, Jer! I use that word, (talking to my sister) to describe what happens to my muscles when nervous tension creeps into a predicament.

Many thanks for your thoughts and prayers.

~ Worrying will not take away tomorrow's troubles ~ But it will take away today's peace. ~

Comment

KoKo and Jer, So glad you met goals, despite limitations! I understand the muscle freeze you describe with cold weather, but what do you mean by nervous tension in muscles when active or in a predicament? Just curious...

Comment

I understand the muscle freeze you describe with cold weather, but what do you mean by nervous tension in muscles when active or in a predicament? Just curious...
                Just like fight or flight, freezing is an automatic, involuntary response to a threat. In a split second, the brain decides that freezing (rather than fighting or running away) is the best way to survive what’s happening. Sometimes when they freeze, people dissociate and feel like they’re watching themselves from outside their own body. Or, their body may go rigid or limp, so they can’t move.

When someone freezes, their body is trying to protect them. Freezing is an evolutionary survival tactic, similar to when an animal plays dead. It’s not a conscious decision, but something out of anyone’s control. It doesn’t matter if you’re trained in self-defense, or bigger or stronger than your attacker. Anyone can freeze.

What You Need to Know About the Freeze Response (teenhealthcare.org)

Keep in mind, with MS impaired nerve signaling, this response is probably even more intense than in healthy people.

Comment

Thanks, KoKo. Interesting. I have a better understanding and can see that breathing/meditation methods would help. Glad you are finding that this works for you!

Comment

Originally posted by KoKo View Post
                    Keep in mind, with MS impaired nerve signaling, this response is probably even more intense than in healthy people.

Hi KoKo (And Seasha),

After reading the article, the "deer in the headlights" idea came to mind, and although I understand it, the "freezing" described isn't what I experience.

My anxiety is maxed out while driving unfamiliar roads or poor road conditions (argumentative people to a lesser extent). This anxiety results in muscle behavior (on MS spasticity effected side only!) equal to a vigorous workout.

After a vigorous workout I find it necessary to wait before driving, my spastic right leg doesn't respond properly. Frozen.

Current thinking: during workout the expansion / contraction of muscle decreases ROM to such an extent that the range appears frozen. AND... High anxiety creates spasticity (excessive contraction in my case)... appears just as frozen on my MS effected right side only!

I have been teaching myself to drive with 2 feet since I dumped the stick shift. But the left cluch foot doesn't have the finesse a break peddle requires. However, the left leg is normal not frozen or effected by road conditions or as a result of any workout.

You know, as I've gotten older, I have grown more conservative but in this case I'm leaning left!

Comment

I guess there's instant freeze-up (sudden, unexpected threat), and then there's slow freeze-up (prolonged anxiety).

And then there's your typical MS spasticity fluctuations, due to certain conditions.

In any case, anxiety and nervous tension doesn't help, and can affect our muscle tone and our ability to move.

Been working diligently on breathing and meditation practices.

Comment

Hello everyone.....Sorry for the late check in. I have started to reply to this message a number of times but had to abandon said reply for various reasons....

Looking forward to see you report soon Mamabug and hope for your continued progress with your recovery.

Great job on the partial goals Seasha. Warmer weather is right around the corner...

Awesome job working through those MS related predicaments to accomplish your goals Koko.

Solid work pushing those expected partials into the accomplished realm Jerry. I wasn't as productive on the 5x50 as I had hoped but we'll see what the future brings.

I'll report partial goals..

2 nights of Jiu Jitsu....... only got 1 in
                        2 runs at 3 miles each.....done
                        stretch goals were not met...totally neglected
                        daily 5 x 50.... did 2 days worth

Busy with other things but no excuses, I could have utilized my time better....I was also on a seafood diet last week.... I've got some tightening up to do. Keep it going.

The future depends on what you do today.- Gandhi

Comment

Boudreux - partial goals are always good, and better than nothing!
                          And how about that seafood diet? It sounds delicious!

Comment

Originally posted by Boudreaux View Post

I'll report partial goals..

2 nights of Jiu Jitsu....... only got 1 in
                            2 runs at 3 miles each.....done
                            stretch goals were not met...totally neglected
                            daily 5 x 50.... did 2 days worth

Busy with other things but no excuses, I could have utilized my time better
                            Hi Boudreaux

You were able to get some partial goals accomplished, so good for you!

Good luck with time management next week (I'm sure that's not always easy) - hope you find more time than you expected.

Comment

Boudreux - partial goals are always good, and better than nothing!
                              And how about that seafood diet? It sounds delicious!
                              Its actually see food....as in I see food and I eat it.
                              The future depends on what you do today.- Gandhi

Comment

Working...
                              X