Weightloss Checkin Group: Weighin For 1/25/18

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Weightloss Checkin Group: Weighin For 1/25/18

Hi Everyone. We are in a deep freeze again. I hope this inclement weather is not having a negative impact on peoples’ enthusiasm for getting rid of those unwanted pounds. Try closing your eyes and fantasizing a warm sunny day which in fact will be here before we know it. Ice and snow really will not last forever.

I am back to 113.5 which is a 1.5 pound loss. I can’t get too excited however because I am currently low in sodium. If I ate a meal even moderately high in sodium I would gain at least 1.5 pounds or more. I will try to lose a half a pound this coming week.

Agate, once again I am really concerned about you not appearing again this week. I do hope you are o.k. Please let us know.

Mamabug, it’s great to see you back. Sorry about your gain but glad to hear what a wonderful time you have been having. I’m sure you will be back in the weight loss groove soon. Keep the faith.

Hsmaldo, so glad to see you back. I’m sorry about the gain but glad you feel motivated to try to get rid of some pounds. I hope the new photo equipment won’t be too much of a burden to lug around. I’m sure it will be worth it. Think of losing the amount the equipment weighs. The truth is that external or internal weight can cause a strain. Good for you for walking and a good amount at that. Keep up the good work.

Msgijo, sorry about your gain but it can happen to the best of us. That is great your husband is weighing with you. You can be good support for each other. I do hope your thyroid is back to normal and will stay that way. Have a great week.

Poohb3ar, sorry to miss you and hope all is well. I hope the New Year is treating you well.

abidingjones, sorry to miss you this week and hope we will see you soon.

For those who may have an interest in joining our dedicated group, our members each have their own personal methods of weight loss. Some are on Weight Watchers, some on Atkins for example and some just cut calories. I personally lost quite a lot of weight in the beginning using Atkins and then just cut portions while eating everything. The method is not the most important thing, it is staying focused and following the plan.

We post weight loss, gain, stayed the same, from Thursday to Thursday and have been doing so for over 15 years. We are truly dedicated to get rid of those pesky pounds and keep them off. You don’t have to state your actual weight. It’s a matter of choice.

Tip For The Week:

Dr. Oz says: “If you're trying to lose weight with your significant other, pack each other's lunches. The lunchbox surprises will keep the both of you motivated.”

Weight Loss Results:

Total Loss:

0 pounds. Not one of our stellar weeks. Better luck next week.

Total Gain: 5.2 pounds by four members. This is not one of our shining hours. May we all be in the loss column next week.

Stayed The Same:

0 members. As we know, staying the same truly is success, including for those who are maintaining. Just keep remembering it is the time before the next loss if you have more to lose. Also staying the same is a signal that you are eating the right amount to maintain your losses.

4056.21 is the total weight loss for the past 15+ years. We hit a new milestone. We now have lost over two tons for which we should be proud. That truly is phenomenal.

Lost 0.6 lbs

Recent weights:
    01/19/18: 136.8 lbs
    01/25/18: 136.2 lbs
    ~ Faith
    MSWorld Volunteer -- Moderator since JUN2012
    (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
    - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.
    - In 2008, I was back in limbo briefly, then re-dx w/ MS: JUL08

- Betaseron NOV03-AUG08; Copaxone20 SEPT08-APR15; Copaxone40 APR15-present
    - Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Comment

Lost 0.7 pounds.

1/19 120.2
      1/25 119.5

Still out of range (117 +/- 2 pounds) but on the correct trend and pleasantly surprised that I lost as much as I did this week - I have eaten too many foods with soy sauce this week. (maybe that will help with a good loss for next week )

I will attempt to lose half pound in the coming week.

Karen - I am almost concerned about you weighing too little. Are you certain that loosing more is good for you? I know that my goal of 117 is actually considered as too little weight for my height, but it is not like I am looking malnourished - just skinny. It gives me a little 'wiggle room' in the weight fluxuations, so I try to stay with that weight. Even I was concerned when I dropped to 115 pounds. Just asking because I am concerned, but if your height allows it then I am all for supporting your continued loss .

Faith - Great job . You remind me of the turtle that wins the race - slow and steady does it! MUCH better than my 'jackrabbit' way of leaps into bogs that it takes SO much to leap out of again . You are going to win this!

Wishing everyone a warm and safe week with NO flu bugs.

Comment

I'm so sorry to have been missing! There has just been entirely too much going on here lately.

I'm staying at 120--no loss but no gain either.

I bought a new pair of pants recently and was glad to be able to buy the same size as my previous pants. I'd have been unhappy if I'd had to go up a size.
        MEMBER OF MS WORLD SINCE 4/03.

SPMS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2002-2005. Copaxone 6/4/07-5/15/10. Glatiramer acetate 40 mg (= Copaxone) 2021- 3/16/24

Comment

Lord Help me I am huge

Hi! *waving*

Can I join? My weight climbed from 103 (6/2013) to 163 (11/2017). I am down to 148 and just feeling shame, disappointment, and just blech. My healthy weight range for my height is 97-127. I love this checking in post. Keeps me honest. I went off a lot of medications and the weight has been easier to shed. Work in Progress!!!!!
          Dx: 2/3/12. 6-8 lesions right medulla/cervical spine. GLATIRAMER ACETATE 40 mg 1/19, medical marijuana 1/18. Modafinil 7/18, Women's multivitamin, Caltrate + D3, Iron, Vitamin C, Super B Complex, Probiotics, Magnesium, Biotin.

Comment

Hi Lisa,
            I can really understand what you're going through--having MS and excess weight too. I was like that for several years. I was even afraid to mention health issues to doctors for fear I'd be told that my only problem was being overweight.

If they had said that, they'd have been right some of the time. When diabetes was diagnosed I was told that if I wanted to avoid taking medicine or shots for the diabetes, I should lose weight. I revised my diet completely and lost 100 lbs. It took a year but I actually did it and ended up at the low end of the normal weight range.

That gave me some wiggle room, and over the years I've added a few pounds but still am within the normal range. I don't ever stop counting calories though.

It's a battle because there are a lot of temptations out there--people, stores, restaurants all offering food. I often have to say No.

When I get tempted, I try to think back on how I felt when I was carrying too much weight. I got tired much more easily, and in fact was taking two naps a day in addition to sleeping 7-8 hours at night. My mobility was much worse.

There are many many advantages in keeping your weight in the normal range if you have MS. MS creates plenty of problems without adding on the problems caused by excess pounds.

Looks as if you've already lost 15 pounds since November. I'd say that's fantastic! I've heard that you're better off and less likely to regain the weight if you don't take it off too fast. The doctor told me to aim for losing 2 lbs. a week but I had much more weight to lose than you do.

SPMS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2002-2005. Copaxone 6/4/07-5/15/10. Glatiramer acetate 40 mg (= Copaxone) 2021- 3/16/24

Comment

My mobility is certainly compromised with this excess weight. You have accomplished a lot with that weight loss...and you did it naturally. And you look fit and happy in your picture. I know several people who had weight loss surgery and none of them have been the same GI-wise. Two even gained a ton of weight back. I have a food addiction, and I am facing this now. I should mention that I went off a bunch of medications, some caused 'increased appetite'. The weight is coming off probably due to that, and I am a few weeks past my prednisone oral 2 week treatment I was on. I posted this in another forum, but did not realize there was so little activity there. I have been through so much, so so much. Marriage trouble, employment issues, health problems, bad Neurologist. But I have come a long way. Below is what I posted in the introduce yourself forum.

Hello, I am a returned member with a new life. I have taken many steps to change and improve my lifestyle and health. This includes leaving a marriage to an abusive, self-centered, mentally ill man. This includes having 2 jobs where I was harassed daily until I found this awesome, new one.

Recently, I dumped my old Neurologist, because he was very old, contrary and difficult to work with. He was insistent that the more drugs for MS symptoms, the better. I was so doped up on Baclofen, Trileptal, Ritalin, Citalopram and some migraine med- I could not think straight. I also had horrible reactions to Tecfidera and Aubagio-which he disputed. When I asked about medical marijuana (legal in my state, and MS is at the top of the list of conditions), he scoffed. When I asked about holistic approaches and anti-inflammatory lifestyle, he scoffed. But he threw all that other stuff at me. I took control last summer and began safely stepping down all those drugs. The withdrawal was horrifying, it took 6 months to get off all that. I learned I am too sensitive to medications.

I stumbled upon a Pain Management Clinic a few miles from my house that supports holistic, natural ways to respond to pain and also prescribes medical marijuana. This guy is the coolest. He is a spunky Middle Eastern guy who directed me to try guided meditation on Spotify and buy a light therapy box for my seasonal depression. Who would have thought that medical marijuana and CBD Oil could combat anxiety, headaches, spasticity, Trigeminal Neuralgia and other nerve pain? I had no idea. He suggested Epsom Salt baths and using magnesium for spasticity and muscle pain.

I have found a young, hip Neurologist who agrees that combining holistic with pharmaceutical is the best way to go to treat MS. She is the coolest, she has a degree in Mechanical Engineering and then went to Med School. The motto at their office is 'Neurology is both Art and Science'. She is Indian and vegan, and did not laugh at me when I mentioned I was going to adopt an anti-inflammatory lifestyle, learn to meditate and try yoga as part of my MS treatment. I already use vitamins and supplements to combat symptoms and they help. I am very happy with my Copaxone 40 mg.

I recently had an accidental New Year's goal to reduce anxiety, avoid toxic people and treat my mild depression naturally. At work, I began streamlining, and I learned to say 'NO'. Coworkers were taking advantage of my goodwill, and were draining me by not taking initiative for themselves. I dropped a 'friend' who drinks too much, is a backstabbing, negative person and is very gossipy. This makes me uncomfortable, and I do not wish to associate with her. I stopped drinking alcohol because it doesn't mix well with medical marijuana, and lo and behold I have less headaches. Those 2 or 3 martinis a week don't sound like much, but alcohol is very inflammatory, and I was unaware it was affecting me that way. I am in weekly therapy with a counselor and I love it.

I am actually now trying to climb out of a relapse. Going off those drugs and stress at work caused it. I took 2 week oral prednisone, which helped but I'm not out of the woods. Also I have a cold, which disappoints me, as it will set me back.

My new goals are to lose all this extra weight. 50 pounds. Commit to anti-inflammatory diet. Drink 64 ounces of water every day. Start stretching and yoga. Go back to acupuncture. Catch up on housework and home maintenance. The drugs my old Neuro had me on caused apathy and lack of ambition, so nothing got done in forever. I need to take it slow, and not try to do too much. I need to also pay better attention to my boyfriend, because all of this has affected our relationship, hopefully not permanently. I may actually lose him due to all of these issues over the last years. This has been very difficult for him.
              Dx: 2/3/12. 6-8 lesions right medulla/cervical spine. GLATIRAMER ACETATE 40 mg 1/19, medical marijuana 1/18. Modafinil 7/18, Women's multivitamin, Caltrate + D3, Iron, Vitamin C, Super B Complex, Probiotics, Magnesium, Biotin.

Comment

Those sound like sensible, realistic goals. I dislike goals because it can be so devastating not to reach them but with weight loss you almost have to set some goals.

Cutting loose from any toxic relationships sounds good.

Weekends can be slow on the board, particularly big game weekends. You'll probably get more responses soon.

Comment

Working...
                X