Exercise Check-In for 06/01/17

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Exercise Check-In for 06/01/17

Only four people checked in this week. We hope to see some of our other regulars next week.

GOALS REACHED: Two people made their goals.

GOALS MISSED: Two people did not. We'll keep on trying. Doing something is better than doing nothing, even when we don't make our goals.

Partial goals are fine. They are better than nothing. And, listening to your body is fine, too, and taking a break from making your goal when you need to. I love the way, too, that you help each other out with encouragement and suggestions.

Exercise Tip: I don't always feel motivated to look for exercise tips. Feel free to add one, if you wish.

For new Exercisers: Feel free to join us. You set your own personal goals that are realistic for you. You can keep the same goals week-to-week, or modify them. You decide if you accomplished them. Goals may include anything from doing your physical therapy to pedometer / fitbit steps to exercise classes to WiiFit exercises or even grocery shopping, housework, yard work if it feels like a workout. Check in once a week to let us know how you did last week, and to set goals for the following week.

We're sort of flexible about determining whether you made goals -- you decide. Sometimes, if you didn't do exactly what you had planned, but something else comparable, we count it.
    ~ Faith
    MSWorld Volunteer -- Moderator since JUN2012
    (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
    - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.
    - In 2008, I was back in limbo briefly, then re-dx w/ MS: JUL08

- Betaseron NOV03-AUG08; Copaxone20 SEPT08-APR15; Copaxone40 APR15-present
    - Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Made 1 goal

One or both:
    1. Walk 3,000 steps or more 3 or more times per week, or average 2200 steps per day.
    2. Exercise 2 times this week. Could be an exercise class or WiiFit or something else.

Th: 2017; F: 1023; S:1942: ; S: 1949; M: 1705 ; T: 2265; W: 2663; Total = 13,564; Average 1938.

M: Grocery shopping
    W: Silver Sneakers class at the YMCA for 1 hour.

Next week: Same goals.
    ~ Faith
    MSWorld Volunteer -- Moderator since JUN2012
    (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
    - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.
    - In 2008, I was back in limbo briefly, then re-dx w/ MS: JUL08

- Betaseron NOV03-AUG08; Copaxone20 SEPT08-APR15; Copaxone40 APR15-present
    - Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Comment

Mamabug and all

Grateful to have accomplished goal again this week: walk/stand with rollator 35min, 3x daily.

It has gotten a little easier, but won't be ready to increase the 35 min any time soon!

Mamabug, if you don't mind my asking, what does your M/W stand for (in front of the grocery shopping and the sneakers class)?

Hope everyone is doing well, or the best they can.

Take Care
      PPMS for 26 years (dx 1998)
      ~ Worrying will not take away tomorrow's troubles ~ But it will take away today's peace. ~

Comment

Did NOT make goal of 3000 steps / day for 4 of 7 days. I think that I like your walking goal Faith - I MIGHT could meet that .
        I only made 3000 steps on 2 days last week. It seemed like no matter how much I moved on a few days I simply could not get the steps in . I did manage to get laundry done this week and re-potted a couple of flowers. I also put feed out (50 pound bags into bins) as well as the normal dailies (feed up ,wash dishes and cook). DH is still requiring a lot of attention and I have to drive him to all appointments.

All that said I am changing my goals for next week.

1. Walk 3,000 steps or more 3 or more times per week, or average 2200 steps per day.
        2. Perform my husbands PT exercises 2x week OR ride the exercise bike once for 10 minutes (I am starting low on that one on purpose - I need a little sense of accomplishment here ...).

Good luck to all .

Comment

Hi all,
          overall quite content with activity over the last week.
          Even considering Tysabri knocked me around on Sat and sun- they ran it through in 20 mins by error and it affected me more than usual.

Have been doing multiple stints on ab circle pro, when ever i think of it.
          Also making sure i change the way i use it to work different areas.
          Went riding- good but a bit sore after. Gave arms a good work out rubbing horses down and giving them general TLC.
          Got a good amount of slashing done driving tractor. Clutching and braking works legs and steering and gear changing works works upper. Bouncy seat is surprisingly less painful than car driving
          Also did acceptable walking to clear area for slashing.

Still need to do office stuff- been avoiding.. Will have to catch up this week in order to clear slate before going away for neuro apt and working holiday at farm.
          Also must mow yard and clean out pond and pack so if i keep up with ab/c/p this should be enough to cope with physically for the next week or so.

Hope every one else does well with goals and wish you all the best over the next few days.
          Caroline

Comment

I did not make my goal. Last wk I was on vac. and I got more exercise then than this wk. I got a UTI when I got home and I have felt awful, a lot of pain, weakness and stiffness in legs and also left arm.

I'm looking forward to feeling better and getting back on the bike.

Keep up the good work everybody.
            God Bless Us All

Comment

Originally posted by REG53 View Post
              I got a UTI when I got home and I have felt awful, a lot of pain, weakness and stiffness in legs and also left arm.
              Hope you feel better soon!

Take Care
              ~ Worrying will not take away tomorrow's troubles ~ But it will take away today's peace. ~

Comment

Originally posted by Carolinemf View Post
                overall quite content with activity over the last week
                You sure ought to be content - you worked out a lot with those activities!

Good for you!

Take Care

Comment

Getting back on track, a different track, but I'm on it

I'm in a slightly better place than last week. Slightly. I still can't walk while bending my knee, so I look like a peg-legged pirate. Exhausting.
                  I finally had the knee MRI yesterday, waiting now for word from my doc ~sigh~
                  I did exercise a bit, sit-ups & push-ups, so my knee wasn't involved. I had to do push-ups on one foot, kinda wobbly, but I did my 25!! Finishing that made for a ego-lift. I'll keep sit-ups & push-ups as my goal for next week.
                  "Hope for the best and plan for the worst. That way, all your surprises will be pleasant."
                  Verin Mathwin, The Wheel of Time by Robert Jordan

Comment

Thank you KoKo.

Tina, I'm glad you were able to do some exercise this wk.
                    God Bless Us All

Comment

Originally posted by TinaP303 View Post
                      I did exercise a bit, sit-ups & push-ups, so my knee wasn't involved. I had to do push-ups on one foot, kinda wobbly, but I did my 25!! Finishing that made for a ego-lift. I'll keep sit-ups & push-ups as my goal for next week.
                      Good for you, Tina!

Hope your knee MRI news goes well too.

Take Care

Comment

Thanks for the encouragement koko
                        I'm still trying to shake my 'don't give a damn about anything' attitude thats been hovering over me for months. The little interactions i have on here dent it briefly so again thanks, but i also know i NEED to feel i'm accomplishing something too.
                        I was wondering-Is there an activity YOU would LIKE to do that may help with your fitness?
                        Caroline

Comment

I was wondering-Is there an activity YOU would LIKE to do that may help with your fitness?
                          Caroline

Yes, many things I would like to do. I played tennis and went bike riding around town almost daily, until those activities became more and more difficult as time went on.

Then I had a Nordic Track exercise chair (with arm and leg resistance pulleys) which I also used daily, until I couldn't anymore.

I used to walk with my rollator outside around my apartment and down the sidewalks for an hour, until gradually that wasn't doable.

Also, I have been using a stationary recumbent bike for several years, which is becoming more difficult to get on - my brother-in-law is going to adjust the seat to see if that helps.

I live alone, so doing my ADL's (activities of daily living) keep me busy, as well as light housekeeping.

Sorry to ramble on! Anyways, to answer your question, yes I have many activities that I would love to do again, and that I truly miss. But I keep moving in whatever ways I am still able and very grateful for that.

Take Care

Comment

Hi again Koko,

Sorry wasn't meaning to be negative about things you used to do but no longer can.
                            That would be very insensitive of me so, sorry.

My query was made based on your posts about your goals now.
                            I admire your dedication to your exercises.
                            I find it hard to exercise just for exercise sake I need to be engaged and feeling productive with what i'm doing.
                            You may not be like me an get satisfaction from the workout itself and i'm glad for you if this is the way you feel.
                            You just sound very alone when you describe your goals and i was wondering if it could ,in some way , be enjoyable rather than something you do to keep yourself moving.

Do you like music? I don't do it often , but sometimes i have put it on, and twisted my top half and lifted my legs (while seated) for a few songs (my version of dancing) and this is can be more enjoyable.

I also love gardening but find i can't dig any more . so Its enough sometimes to plant in a couple pots and maintain them. I enjoy the end product and it gives my arms a bit of a work out.

These are just a couple examples of what i was thinking of and i hope they come across with the good wishes i mean to convey.

Just my bumbley way of encouraging you.
                            Caroline.

Comment

Hi Caroline

Sorry wasn't meaning to be negative about things you used to do but no longer can.
                              Not to worry, I didn't think for a minute that you were being negative. I guess I just got carried away with reminiscing!

My query was made based on your posts about your goals now.
                              I admire your dedication to your exercises.
                              I find it hard to exercise just for exercise sake I need to be engaged and feeling productive with what i'm doing.
                              You may not be like me an get satisfaction from the workout itself and i'm glad for you if this is the way you feel.
                              You just sound very alone when you describe your goals and i was wondering if it could ,in some way , be enjoyable rather than something you do to keep yourself moving.
                              Yes, I do get great satisfaction from most anything that I am physically able to do, and I feel very productive when I can accomplish even the simplest things.

We're at different stages of MS, different physical abilities, so I understand that your trying to be encouraging and helpful. I do appreciate your thoughtfulness.

Take Care

Comment

Working...
                              X