• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Exercise Check-In for 02/23/17

Five of us checked in this week.

GOALS REACHED:

I counted four.

GOALS MISSED:
    I think two missed their goals. But, Reg, you sounded close. And, Karen, you have a long history or exercising. You'll get back to it next week.

Exercise Tip:

Instead of an exercise tip this week, I'm simply going to say this again:

If you are having trouble meeting your goal, set a new one.
    One of the first things tips included being realistic. If you're not meeting your goal, then, for some reason, it is not currently realistic for you.
    It might be because it's physically too difficult. It might be because you lack motivation.
    Whatever.
    Just set a new goal, and make it realistic for you. You can always come back to this goal later. Set a goal, this week, where you can aim for success.

Also:

Feel free to be a little bit flexible about how you report your exercise week or whether you met your goals. For example, like Pooh -- if you didn't meet your "regular" goal, but did something else instead, consider it comparable and consider your goal met.
    After all, you're probably doing more than you used to do, since you are setting goals and reporting them. So, let's not be legalistic.

For new Exercisers:

Feel free to join us. You set your own goals. You can keep the same goals week-to-week, or modify them. You decide if you accomplished them. Check in once a week to let us know how you did last week, and to set goals for the following week.

I'll report my exercise tomorrow.
    ~ Faith
    MSWorld Volunteer -- Moderator since JUN2012
    (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
    - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.
    - In 2008, I was back in limbo briefly, then re-dx w/ MS: JUL08

- Betaseron NOV03-AUG08; Copaxone20 SEPT08-APR15; Copaxone40 APR15-present
    - Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Goals for last week:
    1. Walk 3000 or more steps on my pedometer 3-5 days per week.
    2. Exercise 3 or more days per week. This could include WiiFit in my basement. Or it could include attending a fitness class at the YMCA, etc.

I'm going to change my goal just a little bit.

Goals for next week:
    1. Walk 3000 or more steps on my pedometer 3-5 days per week.
    2. Exercise 3 or more days per week. This could include WiiFit in my basement. Or it could include attending a fitness class at the YMCA, etc. OR Exercise 2 hours or more per week.

Goal 1:
    W: 3055
    steps
    T: 2175
    steps
    M: 1539
    steps
    S: 2503
    steps
    S: 3015
    steps
    F: 2606
    steps
    Th: 3460 steps
    3 days over 3000 steps. total = 18,353

Goal 2:
    F: Yoga class, 1 hour
    W: Silver Sneakers, 1 hour
    :-( Exercised 2 days. I didn't meet last week's goal of exercising 3 days.
    Exercised 2 hours. Although this wasn't last week's goal, I'm going to count it, and here's the reason.

In keeping with the flexible reporting that I am advocating for others, I'm going to use it for myself. I altered my goal today, and, since I attended 2 one-hour exercise classes, I actually exercised more than when I attend only 1 one-hour class and only do a little bit of Wii Fit. So, I decided it's OK to say that I made my goal.

Since starting this weekly thread, I am exercising more than I used to. I walk more steps daily since I started wearing my pedometer again. And, I spend more weekly minutes/hours at The Y than I used to at Curves.

I hope this is motivating for others of you, as well. Whether you are meeting your "stated" goals or not, moving more is likely also a goal of yours. Pat yourself on the back if you see improvement.

Last edited by Mamabug; 03-31-2017, 01:30 AM.
    ~ Faith
    MSWorld Volunteer -- Moderator since JUN2012
    (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
    - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.
    - In 2008, I was back in limbo briefly, then re-dx w/ MS: JUL08

- Betaseron NOV03-AUG08; Copaxone20 SEPT08-APR15; Copaxone40 APR15-present
    - Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Comment

As expected I was still under the weather and did not exercise again. I am feeling better and my goal is to return to my regular schedule. This means four days of exercise using arm and leg weights for most exercises each with 20 repetitions. It also includes 2 balancing exercises without weights, 20 repetitions each. Also will do weight lifting, 5 different lifts with 20 repetitions each. Four days of marching in place for 30 minutes, ugh, [I hate it].

I congratulate you all for your efforts. And thank you Mamabug for creating this forum. And congratulations for meeting your goal. Karen

Comment

I rode my stationary bike 3 times this wk. I think I will change my goal to 3 times a wk. Because my bike has a lot of resistance, it is causing more problems with my legs. In the past when I exercised it would strengthen my muscles, not anymore.

ShrinKaren- I'm sorry you are still under the weather.

Mamabug - You amaze me. Good Job.
        God Bless Us All

Comment

I finally get to say, yay I did it! I am wondering if I did not set my sights a little too high. So this coming week my goal is going to be resistance bands two times and dumbbells two times and if the weather is nice I would like to sweep the garage out one time.
          hunterd/HuntOP/Dave
          volunteer
          MS World
          hunterd@msworld.org
          PPMS DX 2001

"ADAPT AND OVERCOME" - MY COUSIN

Comment

Another good week, I think.
            I was very active all week, except on Sunday. I averaged 6300 steps on the 4 days before I misplaced my pedometer I can NOT find the silly thing, but I have a 3 year old granddaughter who loves to "help put things away". With any luck I'll find it inside an odd shoe or behind the bookshelf (yeah, looked there, hints where to look???). Still, I'm counting the week as a goal win, I know I walked a LOT each day, so I must have reached my 6000 step goal.
            I'll figure out another goal for next week. I'm really trying for increased stamina. I've got my mile run/walk to complete in late July for my Black Belt testing. Technically no time limit, but I really need to get it under 20 minutes. Wish me luck.
            "Hope for the best and plan for the worst. That way, all your surprises will be pleasant."
            Verin Mathwin, The Wheel of Time by Robert Jordan

Comment

Originally posted by TinaP303 View Post
              Another good week, I think.
              I was very active all week, except on Sunday. I averaged 6300 steps on the 4 days....
              I'll figure out another goal for next week. I'm really trying for increased stamina. I've got my mile run/walk to complete in late July for my Black Belt testing. Technically no time limit, but I really need to get it under 20 minutes. Wish me luck.
              WOW! Am i impressed! plus if you're watching that young of a grandchild, i KNOW you're getting plenty of exercise.

i made my goal!
              Sat. i mixed up Wii sports & exercise with housecleaning. Mon. Wii with walking. Tues. my chasing 3 & 4 years olds from 9 to 12 at our preschool. Wed. 20 mins. on the Wii.

i feel pretty good about my exercising and this nice weather has helped a lot. i've already got two walks in toward this next week's check-in.

just keep moving everyone!

God bless you as you strive to stay healthy!
              poohb3ar
              "All things are possible for those who believe." Jesus

Comment

Sheesh Add one more brain-dead moment to my ever-growing list.
                I mentioned my missing pedometer to my dil & she assured me she'd be on the look-out for it.
                She found it. That day. On top of the washing machine.
                My most beloved hubby must have emptied one of my pockets while doing our laundry (he took over that chore years ago). He obviously forgot to bring it up from the basement. I honestly can't remember the last time I didn't empty my pockets , so never even thought to look through laundry.
                I'd be lost without all my family around. It's me & the hubby, son & dil, and their 3 kids ages 14, (almost)12 and 3 all living in my big beautiful house. Our other children & the other 6 grandkids all live within 5 miles of our home. I love my life, even with this crazy MS trying to drag at me.
                "Hope for the best and plan for the worst. That way, all your surprises will be pleasant."
                Verin Mathwin, The Wheel of Time by Robert Jordan

Comment

Working...
                X