Exercise Check-In for Week of 01/12/17

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Exercise Check-In for Week of 01/12/17

I am re-starting a weekly exercise thread. This week, this is a place to share your exercise goal or goals for next week.
    You can choose your own exercise goals that are appropriate for you. You may have just one goal, or more than one.
    Your goals could be:
    • the number of days that you will exercise,
    • how many minutes you will exercise this week,
    • how many average steps per day you wish to put on a pedometer,
    • how many laps you swim in a pool,
    • how many days you participate in an exercise class at a local fitness center,
    • some physical therapy that you do,
    • many minutes of housework you do,
    • whatever you consider exercise or healthy movement.

Each week, I will try to report the following information.
    GOALS REACHED:
    The number of people who reached or exceeded their goals.

GOALS MISSED:
    The number of people who missed their goals. This won't be a place to berate you when, or if you miss your goals. Just a place to encourage you for next week.

TIP FOR THE WEEK:

I'll also try to post an exercise tip for the week. Here is this week's tip:
    Consider setting a S.M.A.R.T. goal.
    S: Specific. A specific goal has a much greater chance of being accomplished than a general goal. A general goal would be, "Get in shape." But a specific goal would say, "Join a health club and workout 3 days per week.
    M: Measurable. When you measure your progress, you stay on track. It should include how much or how many. For example, "3 days per week" or "30 minutes per day".
    A: Attainable. Your goal should be realistic for you; something you can attain. Don't be overly ambitious or too extreme, but choose a goal that is realistic for you.
    R: Relevant. Set goals that are important to where you are in your life right now. A goal that might have been relevant five years ago may no longer be a good "fit" for you.
    T: Time-Bound. Since we are reporting on a weekly basis, this is sort of already built in to our goals. Please report on your exercise from Thursday through Wednesday. Sometimes, a time-bound goal relates to a planned completion date of a long-term goal.

Last edited by Mamabug; 01-12-2017, 10:57 AM.
    ~ Faith
    MSWorld Volunteer -- Moderator since JUN2012
    (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
    - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.
    - In 2008, I was back in limbo briefly, then re-dx w/ MS: JUL08

- Betaseron NOV03-AUG08; Copaxone20 SEPT08-APR15; Copaxone40 APR15-present
    - Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

My goals for next week

1. Walk 3000 or more steps on my pedometer 4 days or more per week.
    2. Exercise 3 or more days per week. This could include WiiFit in my basement. Or it could include attending a fitness class at the YMCA, etc.

Next week, I'll report my results. I'll also post my goals again. They may remain the same, or I might change them.

Please feel free to join in with your initial goal-setting. Make any additional comments you'd like to add.

Just some comments, to kind of report what I've been doing recently.
    • I used to go to Curves once or twice a week, modifying the work-out as necessary and exercising 15-30 minutes. Curves closed last month, so I'm looking for replacement exercise activities.
    • A year or more ago, I used to wear a pedometer daily, walking usually between 2000-4000 steps per day. I'd quit wearing one, and when I started again last week, I was only walking between 1000-2999 steps per day. Three days this week, I worked at increasing that, and was able to get up past 3000 steps. I'd like to make that a habit. It takes being intentional about it, because otherwise, I don't have enough activity to get that high without planning it.
    • I joined the YMCA yesterday. They opened, just recently, in our community, and their competetion is the reason Curves went out of business. Today, I attended one of their Silver Sneakers classes. I started out OK, but, 40 or 45 minutes into the 60-minute class, I was pretty tired. Still feeling semi-exhausted, four hours later.
    Last edited by Mamabug; 01-12-2017, 10:58 AM.
    ~ Faith
    (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
    - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.

- Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Comment

Great idea. I plan on attending an aquatics fitness class 3x/week. But right now, I can't until this cough goes away. If I do anything but leisurely walk pace, start coughing away.

Look forward to participating. This will help me obtain my initial goal of just getting there 3x/week. Will let you know when I start!
      Kathy
      DX 01/06, currently on Tysabri

Comment

I would like to join. For years I have exercised regularly, exercises prescribed by a physical therapist. I have fallen off in the last month due to pressures and not feeling my best. I have had to modify them for the time being. I usually exercises mostly with weights. In the last week I have been doing the same exercises but without weights. My goal is to resume using weights but for at least a week sans weights. Good luck to all. Karen

Comment

I have decided to post here in an attempt to keep accountable, and to find out what others are doing for exercise (surely there are other 'lazy' folks here that have to do something to exercise?).

About the only 'exercise' that I do on a regular basis is walk, so I convinced my dh to purchase a fitness band for me. I also like the sleep function which monitors the quality of my sleep . I set my step goal for 4,000 a day and until last October I only met that goal occasionally. BUT in October I noticed that I met / exceeded that goal almost every day. Yeah I had stuff going on that 'helped' me, but it was great to see that I could actually do it .

For the months of October, November and December I exceeded my goal (the program averages the steps by week or month OR gives you the steps taken each day ). But this year I have slowed down - things are back to 'normal'. I was disheartened to see that I missed meeting my daily goal last Tuesday by only 7 steps .Maybe it will average out, but I see that I am meeting the step goal only 3 or 4 days each week.

That said, my first goal is to meet / exceed my step goal of 4000 steps a day for at least 5 days each week.
          This week I met that goal for only 4 days. Of course I missed my goal by by 7 steps one day . But bottom line - I did not meet my goal this week .

I am looking forward to see what others are doing for exercise. And yeah I do intend to add other goals here.

Comment

Hello everyone, I have been riding a stationary bike with arm bars that move and exercise my arms. I try to ride it 3 days a wk sometimes 4 for 30mins and sometimes not at all. I am hoping this thread will keep me motivated. If I can do it 4 times a wk every wk that would be great for me.
            God Bless Us All

Comment

Next Weeks Goals

This is perfect timing. My pedometer had finally stopped functioning about 5 weeks ago & it's replacement came today.
              My goals for next week are
              6000 steps daily at least 5 days
              1 or more day on the elliptical
              Participate in most of karate class (that 2 hours can be simply too much)
              "Hope for the best and plan for the worst. That way, all your surprises will be pleasant."
              Verin Mathwin, The Wheel of Time by Robert Jordan

Comment

I'm going to join in. I need to get moving. My goal is to do 5000 steps daily. I usually average 2500 without incentive. Today I walked from one end of the house to the other (inside) Whatever it takes! lol 600 to go for the day.
                Sx 06/2005
                Dx 10/2006
                Rebif 12/2006

Comment

I need to get back on a schedule and be held accountable, this is the perfect way to do that!
                  So, NEXT WEEK'S GOALS;
                  I would like to exercise with free weights ( dumbbells) 3X
                  I would like to exercise with resistance bands 2X
                  hunterd/HuntOP/Dave
                  volunteer
                  MS World
                  hunterd@msworld.org
                  PPMS DX 2001

"ADAPT AND OVERCOME" - MY COUSIN

Comment

BRAVO!!!

thank you mamab for starting this thread back!!! i NEED it!!!!

i have been lazy since my granddaughter left.
                    gonna have to start slow to get back into things.

my goal this week will be to do Wii Fit 3-4 times this week 20 to 30 minutes minimum.

Hopefully, will be moving lots more soon!

I miss walking my neighborhood. It's a perfect mile from my sidewalk, but not so good in below freezing weather in ice and snow

Good luck everyone! Keep moving!

God bless ya'll!
                    poohb3ar
                    "All things are possible for those who believe." Jesus

Comment

I'm in

I will be starting today to get more exercise. I weighed myself so will use this site to keep myself accountable. More to come!

Comment

Water Exercise

Dear Movers,
                        I exercise in the pool for 1 1/2 hours every day (except busy Sunday). My balance is too "iffy" for big exercise movements on land without a spotter, but in the water, I can explore a great range.

Each day I focus on a particular issue. For example, today I concentrated on keeping my midline center when traveling. It's a struggle. But I felt that I learned something useful about how I transfer my weight, even given the weakness of my right side. I am hopeful that eventually I can reroute around my lesions and walk less "tippy."

Good luck to everyone, and keep up the good work.
                        Stay lifted,
                        Susan
                        "Life is short, and we have but little time to gladden the hearts of those who travel with us; so let us be swift to love, and make haste to be kind."
-Henri Amiel

Comment

I do my daily exercise routine, mostly stretches prescribed by the latest course of PT. I try to do those exercises without fail. There are some that get done only MWF, and sometimes I cheat by skipping one or two of them on one of those days but making them up the next day.

I've been tracking my steps with a pedometer for a couple of years now. For 29 days in December the average number of steps I took came to 1568.

That's better than the previous 6 months or so when I was getting over a fall. I hope to do over 2,000 steps on more days during the month. 3,000 would be much better but I've never done that many.

Faith, thanks for starting this thread.
                          MEMBER OF MS WORLD SINCE 4/03.

SPMS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2002-2005. Copaxone 6/4/07-5/15/10. Glatiramer acetate 40 mg (= Copaxone) 2021- 3/16/24

Comment

New exercise thread posted.
                            ~ Faith
                            (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02

Comment

Working...
                            X