Weightloss Checkin Group: Weighin for 12/15/16

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Weightloss Checkin Group: Weighin for 12/15/16

Hi Everyone. Winter weather is truly here with ice and snow even though it isn’t even the 21st yet. I am trying my best not to get into the dark winter doldrums. That’s definitely not good for my weight. I must confess that I have been hungrier the past couple of weeks and am blaming it on the cold weather. Better to blame Jack Frost than me! LOL Additionally I am feeling the pressure to get a Christmas letter written and truly feel pressured. I don’t have anything exciting to talk about. One year I made a lot of exciting things up and of course confessed it was all a fantasy. I hope you are all coping with seasonal pressures better than I.

I managed to lose half a pound this week so weigh 113.5. I do want to lose another half pound so will try for half a pound loss again this week.

Agate, so glad you continue to hold your own. Thanks for the tip on how not to go off the deep end when facing impulsive eating. I am going to implement this strategy. Keep up your positive attitude.

Mamabug, sorry you had a gain. Those cookies will get us every time. Cookies are a true weakness for me. Keep focusing on the fact that you continue on the minus side for the year. That is truly an accomplishment. Think positive on the days to come.

Hsmaldo, very good loss! I am very impressed after hearing of all the temptations with which you are faced on a daily basis. And to only eat two of your home made cookies is truly outstanding. I just know you are going to hit the 190's by the end of the year if not before. Your trip to see your sister and tiny nephew should be lots of fun. it. Keep up the good work.

Poohb3ar, I do hope you are well and coping with the pressures of the season.

Msgijo, my goodness what a way to lose weight! I am so sorry about your medical event but glad to hear you received prompt evaluation and treatment. I do hope your husband is doing well. That is heart warming to hear what a support he was for you during your trauma just as you are for him with his problem. Blessings to both of you.

For those who may have an interest in joining our dedicated group, our members each have their own personal methods of weight loss. Some are on Weight Watchers, some on Atkins for example and some just cut calories. I personally lost quite a lot of weight in the beginning using Atkins and then just cut portions while eating everything. The method is not the most important thing, it is staying focused and following the plan.

We post weight loss, gain, stayed the same, from Thursday to Thursday and have been doing so for fourteen years. We are truly dedicated to get rid of those pesky pounds and keep them off. You don’t have to state your actual weight. It’s a matter of choice.

Tip For The Week:

The Holidays can be a wonderful time with social events celebrating Christmas and New Year. As we all know it can also be a stressful time as Christmas draws near with shopping and possibly bad weather with which to contend. Try to consciously take time out for relaxation before getting to the point of feeling overwhelmed. As we all know feeling under pressure can lead to overindulgence in eating which we want to avoid.

Weight Loss Results:

Total Loss:

3 pounds lost by three members. That is wonderful considering the time of year. It is proof positive that there is hope even during this season filled with temptations.

Total Gain:

1 pound by one member. At least one gain is inevitable this time of year. We will get through this without gaining too much.

Stayed The Same:

1 member. As we know, staying the same truly is success, including for those who are maintaining. Just keep remembering it is the time before the next loss if you have more to lose. Also staying the same is a signal that you are eating the right amount to maintain your losses.

3943.6 is the total weight loss for the past 14 years. We have hit a new milestone. We now have less than 100 pounds to reach two tons lost. That is fantastic.

LOST 1.6 LBS

Originally posted by ShrinkKaren View Post

Tip For The Week:

The Holidays can be a wonderful time with social events celebrating Christmas and New Year. As we all know it can also be a stressful time as Christmas draws near with shopping and possibly bad weather with which to contend. Try to consciously take time out for relaxation before getting to the point of feeling overwhelmed. As we all know feeling under pressure can lead to overindulgence in eating which we want to avoid.

An important tip, Karen. Thanks.

Any of you who read my various posts through the years know that I believe there is a huge connection between stress and MS. MS affects our stress (we are less able to cope well with even ordinary stressors) and stress affects our MS (it can trigger symptoms -- either pseudo-flares or even real flares).

Relaxation and avoiding becoming overwhelmed is also an important strategy. I often say that I'm not very good at stress management, but I've learned to be pretty good at stress prevention. I've learned to say "no" without feeling guilty. Sometimes that, unfortunately, even means saying "no" to myself when there is something I want to do, but I feel like my life is busy enough without it. Even "good stress" is stress and something those of us with chronic illness need to remain aware of.

I mostly stayed away from cookies this week, except for Sunday. There were two events I attended where I indulged in a few. However, Sunday is my "enough" day, so it worked out OK; I need to consume more calories on "enough" days and stay away from cookies on other days or they will turn into "enough" days instead of "medium" days too.

Hopefully, I can leave the cookies in the freezer until my Christmas guests arrive and have another good week this week.

Total weight lost in 2016 so far: 7.4 lbs

Monthly weights:

12/31: 134.6 lbs . . . 01/28: 132.6 lbs . . . 02/25: 131.6 lbs . . . 03/31: 132.6 lbs . . .
    04/28: 133.6 lbs . . . 05/26: 133.2 lbs . . . 06/23: 130.6 lbs . . . 07/28: 129.6 lbs . . . 8/25: 129.4 lbs . . . 10/27: 128.8 lbs . . . 11/25: 127.8 lbs

I looked back. I'd been down at 127.2 on 11/17, and had slowly been creeping back up, so I'm glad to be there again. Hopefully, the end of December will show a decrease from the end of November after Christmas. I do feel good that I weigh less now than I did at the beginning of the year. The weight has come off more slowly than my goal; I wanted to lose 12 pounds this year.

Recent weights:
    11/17:127.2 lbs
    11/25: 127.8 lbs
    12/1: 127.8 lbs
    12/6: 128.8 lbs
    12/15: 127.2 lbs
    ~ Faith
    MSWorld Volunteer -- Moderator since JUN2012
    (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
    - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.
    - In 2008, I was back in limbo briefly, then re-dx w/ MS: JUL08

- Betaseron NOV03-AUG08; Copaxone20 SEPT08-APR15; Copaxone40 APR15-present
    - Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Comment

It's getting closer to the holidays and everything is becoming much more intense! Tomorrow is the last Saturday I work overtime!! I am SO happy about that! It's gone well, but I'm certainly going to enjoy having my Saturdays back!

I'm down 2 lbs from 203.2 to 201.2!! I am incredibly excited about this!!! But I also have TWO holiday parties today--one at work and one with my ladies' group at church tonight. BUT--I brought my breakfast and snack as usual to work and will enjoy a little of the salads and sandwich fillings (I'm not eating much bread now a days which is HUGE for me--and not missing it--which is even HUGER!--not a word--but you get the idea!)

In order to stay away from all the sugar-laden desserts at lunch today, I brought in my own tea cookies made from almond flour and pyure. They are SO yummy and I even got up early this morning to bake them!

Tonight is going to be harder because I honestly have a harder time staying away from all the savory yumminess that the ladies at church make! I'm bringing those mini quiches from Costco. I LOVE them and figure I can enjoy a few without having to commit to eating the whole box this way!

We're also going out to eat at an Italian restaurant next week for our team lunch, but I've already decided what I want and am going to order the chicken dish over broccoli instead of pasta--YUM!

Hope you ladies are doing well too during this holiday season!!

Comment

Originally posted by hsmaldo View Post
        It's getting closer to the holidays and everything is becoming much more intense! Tomorrow is the last Saturday I work overtime!! I am SO happy about that! It's gone well, but I'm certainly going to enjoy having my Saturdays back!

I'm down 2 lbs from 203.2 to 201.2!! I am incredibly excited about this!!! But I also have TWO holiday parties today--one at work and one with my ladies' group at church tonight. BUT--I brought my breakfast and snack as usual to work and will enjoy a little of the salads and sandwich fillings (I'm not eating much bread now a days which is HUGE for me--and not missing it--which is even HUGER!--not a word--but you get the idea!)

In order to stay away from all the sugar-laden desserts at lunch today, I brought in my own tea cookies made from almond flour and pyure. They are SO yummy and I even got up early this morning to bake them!

Tonight is going to be harder because I honestly have a harder time staying away from all the savory yumminess that the ladies at church make! I'm bringing those mini quiches from Costco. I LOVE them and figure I can enjoy a few without having to commit to eating the whole box this way!

We're also going out to eat at an Italian restaurant next week for our team lunch, but I've already decided what I want and am going to order the chicken dish over broccoli instead of pasta--YUM!

Hope you ladies are doing well too during this holiday season!!
        It looks like you'll do fine. You are planning ahead, and you are not so extreme that you will be likely to feel deprived and toss the dietary plan and go crazy.

I lost 60 pounds 5 years ago, and those were some of my strategies as well. If bringing your own treats to events begins to feel like deprivation, another strategy is just to plan to treat yourself to a limited number of goodies at the party. And stick to it.
        ~ Faith
        MSWorld Volunteer -- Moderator since JUN2012
        (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
        - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.
        - In 2008, I was back in limbo briefly, then re-dx w/ MS: JUL08

- Betaseron NOV03-AUG08; Copaxone20 SEPT08-APR15; Copaxone40 APR15-present
        - Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Comment

hsmaldo - I knew you would pull through it and start loosing! You have some wonderful strategies in place. Enjoy the holidays and be amazed on Jan 1st.

Faith - great loss . The freezer is like my best friend now days . I made a pie for thanksgiving and divided it up into single servings and froze them. So now I can just pull out ONE slice of pie to eat whenever I feel the need to indulge. And that the food is frozen ensures that I have to wait for it to thaw before eating, which makes it seem more special.
          And yeah, preparing stuff before time for it is a great way to enjoy the holidays without running around at the last minute wearing ourselves out.

Agate - I like that trick of yours . I use that whenever I eat nuts. Yeah they are kinda good for us. As long as we only eat a small handful. So I pour some into a lid, and when it is empty the lid is screwed back on the container. (I do have a small amount of willpower ). But for the more yummy stuff yeah it has to be separated into single servings and put away.

Karen - nice loss. You are in a good place heading into Christmas week.
          Christmas letter - ugh. I think that I would just be tempted to write about the ups and downs of your weight loss journey. How you were inspired by your daughter and how trying to help her helped you. How the simple act of eating cereal one night set you back.
          IMO we don't give our own stories enough credit. No we may not have been on a cruise recently, but I know that when I am talking to friends and family they can actually relate to the enjoyment that I felt at seeing a cardinal at my bird feeder today.

I weighed this morning, but got busy and just now sat down to read / post on here . I am feeling much better than last week this time and am finally able to get back into my routines (mostly anyways).

DH was such a sweetheart this week. He took on all of my stuff (cooking, feeding up and even washing the dishes) that I ate whatever he prepared. I say it like that because even though he is a diabetic he does not eat properly. Vegs are for bunnies. Fat is good. Pastries are okay for breakfast - and lunch and after supper snacks too.

I am back to cooking, so meals will be better this week. I am going into Christmas in good shape even though I gained 2 pounds this week.

2/9 114.6
          2/16 116.6

There are still doctor appointments, last minute shopping to be done, gifts to wrap, and food bank duties next week, so I should be busy enough to not overeat.
          But I am thinking about that pie that I froze - into single serving slices. Oh my .

Best of luck to all. Stay warm and stay safe.

Comment

Holding at 118 again this week.

It's good to know about the weight people have lost--what an achievement at this season when there are so many goodies being offered, from chocolate to fruit cake to holidays cookies and mince pie.

It's hard to get away from these temptations--or to pass them by. I don't go to many social events but I do remember how difficult it is at a party when a hostess thrusts a plate of fancily decorated cupcakes or cookies under your nose. You hate to hurt her feelings, and they look good, and it's a long time until dinnertime...

By now I'm in the habit of saying, "No thanks--I just ate" or sometimes "No thanks, I can't eat that," but that leads to a discussion and I end up feeling pathetic. Usually just "No thanks but they look delicious" works fine.
            MEMBER OF MS WORLD SINCE 4/03.

SPMS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2002-2005. Copaxone 6/4/07-5/15/10. Glatiramer acetate 40 mg (= Copaxone) 2021- 3/16/24

Comment

Working...
            X