DIET and MS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DIET and MS

Hi... I was diagnosed with MS in 1997. It has been a very bumpy road... many ups and downs. Having to use a scooter, a cane etc. But everything has changed in the past three years. First three years ago - due to physical problems - I became gluten and dairy free. This solved my problems (was having a hard time swallowing). After a while (3 months) I noticed I didn't have the awful pain I was use to dealing with (probably because a lot of my inflammation problems lessened) Eventually I was able to get off of Neurontin and the Codeine (with help of neurologist) - which really helped my walking ability.

For one year I became a vegetarian [I](to cleanse out my liver and kidneys).[/.I] .. I noticed I didn't need my scooter anymore for trips like Disneyland or shopping. I was able to walk without pain in my hip. I began adding turkey/chicken/fish to my diet (no beef or pork). I have to say this has made all the difference in the WORLD for me! I notice I have more energy that I use to also! Just this last vacation I walked six miles along with my family in the heat and didn't have any side effects at all (spasms/weakness).

I eventually was able to let go of all medications except my Tecfidera (which I started 2 years ago) and my Thyroid med. Has anyone else experienced this? I mean better now with my MS and symptoms than I have been in years. I started the diet change while I was on REBIF, but then I switched to Tec... so I think it's the way I eat now (and I exercise every day too).

Please share your experiences with me... because I am really jazzed about this. I can honestly say that I do not have any Pain anymore, no more nightly spasms, no pinging or vibration feelings (well I do get that if I really push myself, but if I lay down for an hour... it goes away).

YES, healthy food and excercise are key! a few very essential supplements also. magnesium is very important, it relaxes nerves

Comment

MSer,

Thank you for sharing your story!

I too believe diet and exercise are huge in this fight. Several years ago I was following a modified Jelenik/Swank diet and was doing well. At the same time I was dealing with lots of stress with a move to a new state and other issues. I started to slip from my diet the last year or so and am feeling the effects. Slowly getting back on track and your post really struck a chord with me.

Please keep posting! 3-4 years ago or more this board was more active and filled with more diet/nutrition discussions. There was a nutritionist who posted and answered questions as well. It helps keep me motivated to hear of others eating clean and doing well.

Take care!
      Meet me in a land of hope and dreams. -Bruce Springsteen

Comment

Working...
      X