Weightloss Checkin Group: Weighin for 4/2/15

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Weightloss Checkin Group: Weighin for 4/2/15

Hi Everyone. I hope everyone is doing well. I had a couple of days in the hospital after collapsing and losing consciousness. Paramedics were called and my BP was dangerously low. It seems to be due to nitroglycerin which my primary doc had prescribed after I reported having some chest pain. It was a diagnostic process. The upshot after a stress test and heart x-rays is that I have a healthy heart. The nitro was overkill since I do not have angina. Having said that, I hope you are all doing well and enjoying the first signs of Spring. Happy Easter to all who celebrate Easter and Happy Springtime for those who don’t. Beware of those Cadbury Eggs which some have reported to be a problem in the past. And of course there are the jellybeans which are often available in abundance. Just eat Easter Eggs in moderation.

I went in the wrong direction. I gained half a pound this week, so now weigh 115 my goal weight. I will try to lose another half a pound this week as a buffer.

Agate, thank you so much for telling your most successful story. You are such an inspiration to all who have a great deal of weight to lose. You are a shining example of one who has maintained your weight loss after losing a great deal of weight. Thank you again.

Mamabug, Thank you also for sharing your journey and your difficulty with motivation. You too are an inspiration to those who are struggling. You are such a good example of one who found your own personal motivation to lose weight despite having difficulty to find a good reason to lose. I hope those who are are struggling with motivation can take your lead in that area and find their own personal reason to lose weight since it is such an individual thing.

Hsmaldo, I am truly sorry about your finger and sorry it derailed your losing efforts. I have every confidence that losing in order to look terrific in that bridesmaid dress will spur you on. Best wishes.

Malaholic, sorry to miss you again this week and hope we haven’t lost you. Do let us know how you are doing.

hlburke87, I hope you are continuing to do so well and that we will hear from you when you have a scale available. Actually we would love to hear from you even if you can’t weigh.

Poohb3ar, sorry you are going to need to take a hiatus. We will miss you. But you do need to do what is best at the moment. I hope you will drop in and say hi once in awhile. Very best wishes.

Portia, your loss may be small but it definitely counts. It is proof that you remain going in the right direction. Keep up the good work.

Msgijo, I am sorry you had such a rough week. It sounds like you were active even so. I empathize with you regarding diabetes concerns. As we all know weight control and exercise are very important issues for those with that condition. May you have a good week.

Zilphia01, so glad to see you post. I hope you have been reading motivation issues others shared. Motivation is so individual. My motivation was to look better and to be healthier. I do hope you can come to appreciate the advantages to keeping weight down on several levels. Most of us have had times when motivation was not as strong as it was other times. Keep focusing on the advantages to you for getting rid of those unwanted pounds. Make a list of why it would be an advantage for you to lose weight. Best wishes.

For those who may have an interest in joining our dedicated group, our members each have their own personal methods of weight loss. Some are on Weight Watchers, some on Atkins for example and some just cut calories. I personally lost quite a lot of weight in the beginning using Atkins and then just cut portions while eating everything. The method is not the most important thing, it is staying focused and following the plan.

We post weight loss, gain, stayed the same, from Thursday to Thursday and have been doing so for thirteen years. We are truly dedicated to get rid of those pesky pounds and keep them off. You don’t have to state your actual weight. It’s a matter of choice.

Tip For The Week:

Dr. Oz says, “Take every opportunity to move around, even in small ways.” Even if one is not motivated to exercise small things can be done. Fidget while watching TV for example. If one is capable, walk up and down stairs rather than use an elevator. If feasible park the car farther from ones destination. Go the long way around when walking for a purpose. At home, walk from room to room as much as possible. Think of creative ways to use muscles day to day. Having MS does create obstacles but move more based on your ability. If one has mobility issues use arms as much as possible. Stretch several times per day.

Weight loss Results for 3-26-15:

Total Loss:

.7 pound by two members. Remember every fraction counts. It is proof that it can be done. It also indicates to others than losing is possible. May we all continue to see the numbers go down.

Total Gain:

.7 pounds by one member. Gains this week are the same amount as losses. I don’t remember that ever happening. Reporting gains is very important because it keeps us on our toes and is a warning sign to all who struggle. Reporting gains is an indication that goals are being taken seriously.

Stayed the same:

2 members. As we know, staying the same truly is success, especially for those who are maintaining. Just keep remembering it is the time before the next loss if you have more to lose. Also staying the same is a signal that you are eating the right amount to maintain your losses.

3690.7 is the total weight loss for the past 13 years. Now we have hit a new milestone. We have now lost over 1.75 tons in total. That means we only need to lose another approximately 350 pounds to reach two tons. That is awesome.

Hi everybody,
    Last week I was at 164.2, and now I am 164. Baby steps
    I didn't really exercise, but did exercise self control when eating dinner. Limited the amount of meat, potatoes, and rice, all of which seem to make me gain. That's all my hubby wants to eat, and I cook it for him and eat small portions of it myself but try to prepare veggies for myself to eat instead. Love asparagus, mushrooms, peppers, green beans, salads, mmm. I just have to remind myself sometimes not to get sucked into eating what I make for hubby.

Zilphia01, I didn't respond you your question last week because I had to spend some time figuring out what prompted me the most to try to lose weight. I guess there were many things I cared about. For example, I couldn't find bras that fit. Had to buy extenders to attach to the hooks or shop at specialty places and pay a fortune for a good bra.

But what really did it for me was: I went home to Tennessee for the funeral of a family member. A couple of weeks later my mother sent me pictures that were taken of the family at my Nanny's house. Nanny is my grandma, for those who don't speak southern, ha. Anyway, over the years she has gained weight and is quite large. She can't get around well and spends most of her time in a motorized chair. She has a special recliner in her living room that lifts so she can sit and then get up easier too. Her feet and legs swell, she has developed diabetes and other problems. I realize now that I should be speaking in past tense, as she has since died. It hasn't been that long ago and I have to remind myself.

So, Nanny would fall and not be able to get up. My aunt Caroline would go help her get up, and after a while it got to where Caroline needed a neighbor's help in getting Nanny off the floor. It progressed to Caroline having to call for emergency workers to lift Nanny. It would take two or three strong people to help her up.

When I saw the pictures of Nanny, my mother, cousins, aunts and uncles, and myself all gathered in Nanny's living room, the first thing I noticed was that I was big. Some of them carry extra weight, but I was obese. Some day I would be like Nanny I realized. And that scared the *** out of me. Among all the problems her weight gain caused, she was pretty much confined to her house in the last few years of her life. The family had to buy a van to take her places, and she became a burden. Who's gonna take Nanny shopping this week? Who has time in their busy schedule to give up days to take her to doctor appointments, etc.

I realize this disease may put me in a chair some day or make me somewhat dependent on others, but hopefully I won't need to shop around for the super-sized chair, and how embarrassing it would be to have to call for EMTs to lift me off the floor. Bring the crane, boys. Look at the size of this one.
    And I never want to lose the ability to go places, especially to go to parks and enjoy the outdoors simply because my bulk prohibits it. That's not going to be me.

I have to love myself and take care of myself, or my life will be diminished like Nanny's was. There are things I want to do, and I'd like to be able to do them
    Portia

Comment

How to measure my exercise? I have not yet started PT, so I am just doing stuff. I suppose that it would help to get a pedometer so that I could at least measure my steps ...

I finally started feeling better Monday of this week so I went shopping with my mom - aka: energizer bunny on speed. And even tho the flower sale did not have what I wanted I did get some flowers. Tuesday I ran around with my husband. We went to his dads and he gave me a couple of blueberry bushes. I also purchased 2 fig trees. Wednesday I planted 5 flats of flowers and had to re-do garden hose.

I do not intend to mention every week that my absolute "have to do every day" is feed outside dogs and cats and the chickens in the morning, and walking back out in the evening to gather eggs. And I normally walk down to mailbox every day.
      See - a pedometer is a must .

Portia - my husband is the same. Will eat VERY few vegs and NO FRUITS at all. Add in the fact that he is lazy (he prefers to call it being efficient ) I can understand perfectly why he keeps gaining weight. Like you I will eat small portions of what I prepare for him and add more vegs for myself - at least a salad.

I am sorry for the loss of your Nanny. Even tho I realize that it is not any condolence at all, at least a positive is that you are now taking care of yourself.

Comment

Thanks msgijo,
        The eye-opener funeral visit home was six years ago. At that time, I weighed 225, and my Nanny weighed 350 to 400, I'm guessing. She died just this past year. I saw her in May and knew it would be the last time.

I now weigh 164, so it took me six years to lose 60 pounds. It would be nice to lose a little faster, but I'll have to work on that. I am 5'5", and I would be happy to get down to 140 or 150. I'd still be 5 or 10 lbs overweight by government determined standards, but I don't want to be skinny. I want to be average but fit with some curves.

Sounds like you're pretty active, msgijo.

Shrink, your Dr. Oz quote talks about staying active in whatever ways you can. I'm curious if anyone here has a Fitbit, and if so, how about some reviews. I am thinking about getting one. They have one that monitors heart rate too. Glad you're heart-healthy Shrink.
        Portia

Comment

Gained 0.4 lbs

3/26: 134.8 lbs
          4/2: 135.2 lbs

Not working very hard at losing right now. Doing some days of calorie cycling, when I feel like it, but not really focusing on it a lot. Not binge-ing or over-eating. But, just taking somewhat of a break, which, mentally, I just need, from the whole weight loss focus.

Might, actually, end up being a good weight-loss strategy, when I return to focusing. "Changing things up" is often a good way to go. My summer schedule is only six weeks away, and, I suspect that I'll be ready to start a week or two of documenting food and meticulously counting calories at that point. The combination of the break and being more intentional and accountable to myself by doing that might be able to jump start losing a little.

I'll keep posting my weekly weight, just to make sure I don't allow a significant gain or a spiral out of control during my break. I suspect that i may not even notice a difference, but will just feel more free and released, mentally.

Easter Sunday coming up. My eating plans for that day are to go out somewhere for dinner with my husband. And, to grill burgers and dogs and have a picnic at a county park in the evening.
          ~ Faith
          MSWorld Volunteer -- Moderator since JUN2012
          (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
          - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.
          - In 2008, I was back in limbo briefly, then re-dx w/ MS: JUL08

- Betaseron NOV03-AUG08; Copaxone20 SEPT08-APR15; Copaxone40 APR15-present
          - Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Comment

Up again

Hi again everyone. I'm sorry I haven't been on this thread for the last few weeks. I have one more trip coming up starting next Friday, then things should settle down to a more regular schedule for a while.

I have gained again since whenever it was I posted last, and am back up to 114.8. Can't remember what it was last time, but that is at least a 1+ pound gain which I guess doesn't really surprise me given that I've not been very good about trimming calories on the road.

Interestingly enough, my last trip was a vacation rather than for work, and I was completely disconnected - no phone, no email, just me and my hubby and nature. After a couple days into the vacation I felt FANTASTIC - probably the best I've felt since long before I was dx'ed. My symptoms subsided and I honestly felt, for a little while, like I did not even have MS. Then I got went back to work this week, and it's been even more stressful than usual trying to get caught up, and after only 2 days back to the grind all my usual Sx's returned.

ShrinkKaren, I'm so sorry to hear of your hospitalization, how frightening that must have been! I am glad you are back out now. How are you feeling?
            Sx since 2007; Dx Oct. 2014. Started Copaxone after Dx...praying that it's working!

Comment

ShrinkKaren, I'm so sorry to learn you had to be hospitalized. That must have been unsettling to put it mildly. I hope you're stabilized now that the nitro has been stopped!

I've stayed at 115 this week. Still using the pedometer and getting readings like 1712, 2625, 3302, 1597 (the last few days). Not great but I do keep trying.

Portia, when you wrote:

I realize this disease may put me in a chair some day or make me somewhat dependent on others, but hopefully I won't need to shop around for the super-sized chair, and how embarrassing it would be to have to call for EMTs to lift me off the floor. Bring the crane, boys. Look at the size of this one.
              And I never want to lose the ability to go places, especially to go to parks and enjoy the outdoors simply because my bulk prohibits it. That's not going to be me.

I have to love myself and take care of myself, or my life will be diminished like Nanny's was.
              I thought that really says it all. That idea of possibly being so big that if I was wheelchair-bound, I'd be a big problem for people who had to deal with me in my wheelchair was a huge incentive for me to lose weight and keep it off.

That's really sad about your Nanny. Extreme obesity is very sad. I have a DIL-to-be who has this problem, and I'm feeling very helpless about her since she's the one who has to be motivated to take the pounds off.
              MEMBER OF MS WORLD SINCE 4/03.

SPMS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2002-2005. Copaxone 6/4/07-5/15/10. Glatiramer acetate 40 mg (= Copaxone) 2021- 3/16/24

Comment

Working...
              X