Yoga

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yoga

My doctor told me yesterday he wants me in a beginners yoga class. What kinds of questions do I need to ask to ensure that they can adapt to my needs as a person with MS.

I have never done anything like this before so I don't know where to begin.

There is also a Yoga DVD available through MS Activesource.
    It was created for people with MS. Maybe this will be a good alternative if you are hesitant about going to a class?

Here is their info: http://www.msactivesource.com/ms-yoga.xml
    They also have an additional exercise DVD as well. Check them out!

Comment

Hi lisa~ I have been taking various yoga classes for years now and can't begin to tell you how beneficial it's been for me!

I not sure where you live in Indiana, but some searching brought up this from the NMSS - Indiana Chapter where there are yoga classes designed for those with MS - http://www.nationalmssociety.org/cha...oga/index.aspx or you could call the local chapter and ask around as classes change often enough.

If you are taking a beginning class for the more-abled, first let the instructor know you have MS and this is your first time. Ask if they have different props you can use (ie. chair, blocks, blankets, pillows) and let them know what you think you cannot do. Do you use a walker? Ask if you can use that for a prop. Can you safely get up and down from the floor? If not, ask about using a chair..

Gentle yoga (which I do now) poses are just that -done gently! Gentle movements, without having to strain and use major muscles, should be about gentle stretching and releasing tight muscles and allowing deep, steady breathing with the poses. Gentle yoga is not about gaining with pain! If there is pain, you are doing it wrong and ease up on your pose.

There's probably more I could say, but hopefully you get the picture. Good luck! I hope you find something that works well for you!
      1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
      Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Comment

If it is an open yoga class (ie, not specifically for people with MS), please arrive early and take a moment to speak privately with the teacher. Tell her you have MS, that it's your first yoga class, and what you perceive may be things that will challenge you due to MS (getting hot and sweaty; balance poses; leg strength; wrist stability; etc.)

IMO, a lot of yoga teachers don't know that much about MS (full disclosure, I have MS and also teach yoga part-time to general students). But if you can say, "balance is a challenge for me" or "my right leg is weaker than my left" or "when I get heated up, I get dizzy" the teacher should be able to make specific recommendations of how to adapt specific poses as you go.

In general, some tips:

- Don't ever feel you need to do everything the teacher instructs; it's perfectly fine to sit on your mat and watch others if you need a rest (your teacher can show you some resting poses, or just sit or lie on your back)

- Don't do anything that feels risky or uncomfortable; that includes the transitions when you move between poses, which is often when people injure themselves

- If they have props available in the room, take some of each, just in case (two blocks, a strap, a folded up blanket), they are invaluable for modifying poses.

- Beginners often stay in the back of the room, but in many classes, you might be turned around or facing the back, so if you're in the last row, you won't always have other students to watch and take cues from (downward facing dog is the most obvious example). Position yourself in the middle of the class, if possible, or at least in the second to last row

- Remember that sitting quietly and focusing on your breath and how your body feels is also yoga. In fact, it's more advanced yoga!

Good luck! Let us know how it goes.

Comment

Thanks for all the tips! I was supposed to start a class last night. I already talked to the instructor and she has an aunt who has MS and comes to her classes.

My problem is her classes are in the evenings and sometimes I can't function at that time of day. So I am shooting for Monday's class at 6:30pm. She is making a new schedule for the new year and I am hoping for classes earlier in the day.

Wish me luck on Monday!

Comment

Woo Hoo, Lisa! I'm so happy you found someone - and someone who understand something about MS! What a great New Year's goal for you

Comment

Thanks so much. I am excited too. Hoping it will help.

Comment

I survived my first Yoga class! I am feeling good right now but hoping I will not be too sore in the morning.

So glad I took the big step to walk into that class!

Comment

I'm proud of you Lisa

Comment

Working...
                  X