Workouts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Workouts

Does anyone have any good work out ideas? I am trying to cut some weight.

It's great that your exercising and wanting to lose weight. Exercise is beneficial in MS on a wellbeing, physical and maybe even a neurological way by creating new brain cells. You should do it regardless of whether you need to lose weight or not.

Please be aware, though that eating less is 90% of weightloss. If you're looking for a way to keep your same lifestyle and add exercise, it will be slow going. If you're American, you probably eat way too much. Those serving sizes on the package are actually correct. When I was a kid, the adult meal at macdonalds was the same as today's happy meal.

If you substitute vegetables, it make it easier, but eventually, you go back to only wanting human amounts of food.

For exercise, there are 3 main things you can do:

1) Eliptical - it burns calories, builds standing and walking/running muscles and you're holding on the whole time in case you have any balance issues.

2) Exercise bike - same, basically. You are sitting, so it's hard to fall off and you can read / watch TV

3) The treadmill, but only walking fast, not running. Especially if you are overweight, you don't want to be crashing down on each foot and knee with every sprint.

You should start small, but make an addiction of it. For me, I keep the same workout for 3 years. I don't torture myself making it increasingly harder. OF course, I seem to do it faster and faster, so I have increased. But it's the same fat burning workout on the machine. And I'm thin now.

Good luck!

Comment

Big A is absolutely right about diet being THE big factor with weight loss. That being said if you are going to the gym and can manage it lift weights. Nothing will change and benefit your body like strength training.

I have been on Swank for almost 4 months, that coupled with a 5 days per week weight training schedule has dropped 25lbs and I was lean to start with! 6'3" 210lbs to 185lbs.

I posted some details of my routine in my first post on this board below. I have changed things up but it is a good start. You could look up some body-for-life stuff on google as well its got some great resources for exercises and the like.

http://www.msworld.org/forum/showthread.php?t=128070

Comment

It is excellent that you are considering exercising because it is crucial to losing weight and remaining fit, imo.

I would go for a physical and check with your physician for suggestions. Definitely start slow but keep increasing your workouts as tolerated.

At first it won't be the most comfortable feeling but you will get used to it and will be amazed to see the improvements each week if you stick with it. Best of luck!
        He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
        Anonymous

Comment

Jumping Jacks Help

Jumping jacks require an instantaneous coordination and activation of several muscle groups, then followed by a mild jolt to the skeletal and nervous system.
          Here's the good news: my first acute attack of "relapsing progressive MS" occurred 27 months ago. It has been continuous sense then. Last week I added jumping jacks to my daily exercise routine. Starting yesterday, there is the an inkling of a remission. It is the first let up in 2 plus years! THe physical therapist at the health center said, yes, jumping jacks are thought to be therapeutic. I hope this helps someone out there in the MS world.

Comment

Working...
          X