low good cholesterol

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

low good cholesterol

So I got a bunch of blood work done this week and everything was good although he mentioned my good cholesterol is low.

I was wondering what I can do to bring my levels up. Is there anything I should add to my diet or supliments?

From the good folks at the Mayo Clinic:
    http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/hdl...sterol/CL00030

Comment

The usual things: Exercise, lose weight, cut down on saturated and trans fats...
      http://www.livestrong.com/article/378530-increase-hdl/

If you feel you need to supplement, you can ask your dr. about niacin.
      http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/niacin/CL00036

Comment

Same Here

Lisa

All my blood work comes back the same way, everything is okay except my 'good' cholestrol (HDL) is low. Doc said the best way to raise it is to get exercise. I gave him 'the look' and he smiled and said, "Every little bit helps."

Then he recommended orange juice, soy, Omega 3 fatty acids (fish oil) and a glass of wine or beer a day. He also said walnuts would be a good snack.

Since I haven't had any blood tests for awhile, I can't say if any of the above have raised my HDL , but I have been trying them, except the soy.

Comment

There are already given you different suggestions. I think It is good to low cholesterol. I read somewhere that high cholesterol level is cause of heart failing and such more disease. Is it true?

Comment

Raw veggies diet and water diet are good to control the cholesterol level.
            You can take green vegetables salad, fresh fruits juices, green tea, green vegetables soups, and fish to control your cholesterol level.

Comment

Alpha-linolenic acid

Walnuts are great for raising your good cholesterol.

They are also great for MS patients because of the essential omega-3 fatty acid "Alpha-linolenic acid." It's known to treat MS and other diseases.

Scope
              Dx PPMS in 2010
              Source: WebMd

Comment

flaxseed oil delivers more omega 3 than fish oil.
                you do get 6 &9 which are not as desirable as the omega3.
                1995-symptoms with no cause
                2000-diagnosed with Probable MS.
                2000/1-started Avonex
                2002-Rebif b/c increasing brain plaques
                Nov-13-Tecfidera b/c needle fatigue&sympt

Comment

I am allergic to tree nuts so walnuts are not a good option. I will try the flax seed!

Comment

On my last cholesterol test, my "good" cholesterol had skyrocketed. I believe it's the 3rd year of diet and especially the exercise and now weight-lifting that's doing the trick. If you're eating well and exercising then it should go up. My HDL is twice my LDL.

Comment

Raising good cholesterol

Ground flax-seed is extremely easy to use: I exchange it for 1 egg when cooking by mixing 1 Tbsp ground flax-seed with 3 Tbsp water (great for pancakes, and any kind of baked goods) or by simply adding it into a smoothie. My kids & I make what we call "banana milk" by using a small blender like the bullet/rocket/etc. to mix (per serving) a whole banana, some milk, and a small amount of choc. or strawberry syrup for flavor, and I will add about 1/2 tablespoon of ground flax-seed, and sometimes a dab of honey, and they say it is better than a milkshake. (In the summer time we blend in ice for a more frosty treat.)

Try adding more poly & mono -unsaturated fats like canola oil to your diet. I have read and been told it is great for raising good cholesterol and lowering the bad.

Also, POTASSIUM. I cannot stress enough, the benefits of potassium. I have read & heard it is also good to raise good cholesterol and lower bad. It is kind of a pain to have to go to the store every few days just to keep a supply of "fresh" bananas available but it is so beneficial, as well as potatoes if you don't mind the extra starch in the diet.

Fiber is also a good aid for cholesterol.

Hope this helps.

Comment

Originally posted by Vanlue View Post
                        Lisa

All my blood work comes back the same way, everything is okay except my 'good' cholestrol (HDL) is low. Doc said the best way to raise it is to get exercise. I gave him 'the look' and he smiled and said, "Every little bit helps."

Then he recommended orange juice, soy, Omega 3 fatty acids (fish oil) and a glass of wine or beer a day. He also said walnuts would be a good snack.

Since I haven't had any blood tests for awhile, I can't say if any of the above have raised my HDL , but I have been trying them, except the soy.
                        I don't know how disabled you are, but if he reckoned you could exercise, perhaps you can. Everyone can benefit from exercise, even Pwms. Also, doctors seem to all have a cholesterol fetish - seriously, everyone knows their cholesterol level, as if it's the most important thing to get tested at the doctor. Research your levels and see if you're truly at risk.

But exercise and flaxseed oil will help. I take 30ml (2 tablespoons) daily. It takes a few months to work.

Comment

Diet is a word misconstrued with "starving yourself" or being anti carb/fat/meat.

People ask me what diet I am on and I tell them honestly none.
                          I eat what my body wants.
                          FODMAP is a great place to start, remove all common allergen foods from your life and add back in slowly.

The nutritional guidelines being followed in the house right now is whole foods for the adults. The kids eat what we are eating with the addition of a little local small farm meats when they want something else.

I have lost almost 50 pounds by changing the way I eat numerous times.
                          My last change I managed to drop my cholesterol from 222 to 116.
                          My HDL raised very little.
                          Had a long talk with the doctor about hdl and none of the meds do a good job, but of course they push them since the pharmaceuticals run the american health industry.

Cranking up to 2g (will go higher after I stop flushing) of niacin a day to see if i can push up the HDL at all. He said a lot of it is just what you're born with, you might move it a little but you won't get a lot.

The only diet you should choose is the elimination of processed foods, no McDs no subway no whatever your favorite fast food chain is.

After successfully implementing that diet things will taste drastically different! Then you can start in on eating healthier. Add a lot more fiber to your diet. THe american diet is seriously lacking of fiber. Eat single ingredient foods or food you have made from single ingredients.

Good luck everyone! We can't beat our MS if we keep feeding it.
                          1995-symptoms with no cause
                          2000-diagnosed with Probable MS.
                          2000/1-started Avonex
                          2002-Rebif b/c increasing brain plaques
                          Nov-13-Tecfidera b/c needle fatigue&sympt

Comment

Working...
                          X