Custody Battle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Custody Battle

Hello...has anyone out there been threatened by the other parent? My daughter's father has threatened me 2 times already saying he's goingg to legally take her from me because of my MS....yes I have MS but I'm not unfit! I'm a very good mom.....Can anyone share?

Not me, but; I wouldent think you would have any thing to Just having MS or any other dx, is not going to convince a Judge that your unfit.

Comment

I know how you feel!

I have stayed with my husband purely for the same reason. I am finally trying to break free!

Comment

I left my abuser in 09. The courts seem to favor abusers. Please be very careful and do lots of research.

Comment

I get that often so I am staying, I went through shared custody with my older two until there father passed away.... I Will not do it again if at all possible... I do think he will leave eventually and file for custody anyway.... I do my best to keep things calm but he is a jerk and is unfair to my older children.... He left for 2 yrs to "work" he is in the military and took an assignment that we could not go to and dropped us in a home I own in my home town,I hate it here as do my kids but we r making the most of it..... I don't think he will come back and think he will file for divorce at the end of his 2yr assignment.... I'm spending time preparing to win custody! Get your ducks in a row girl!!! I saw on the news a judge gave custody to dad bc mom had cancer

Comment

I saw that too. It was a heartbreaking story - the judge told her that if she wanted to see her kid, she would have to uproot her cancer treatment and move to Chicago.

I know if my hubby and I ever split, he would go after the kids - I'm bipolar, have fibromyalgia, and have MS. When his brother divorced, and only had joint custody of his kids (which was even very little because he moved out of state), we had talked about it - what would happen - and he said he'd not just let me have primary custody like his brother did in his first marriage. So I know if I were divorce, there would be a custody fight.
            Diagnosis: May, 2008
            Avonex, Copaxone, Tysabri starting 8/17/11

Comment

I would probally try to find a laywer who does a free consult and go lay your case out. I'm sure they know the judges and how they rule and what you should document,, that is hidden away of course even if it's in a different email account, I would hope that would'nt be the reason because you have MS.
              Good luck

Comment

yes,and as far as the ms taking it?? I had many pseudo flares,but no active one's. And NO legally they can not take your kids because of MS. This is what the judge told me,and my lawyer also. Gl Nene!!
                RRMS-2007-2012
                SPMS-2012
                Copaxone Feb,2007- 2008
                currently on Rebif

Comment

mental abuse

When dr said I either had MS or I was having strokes I thought I was lucky when he said it was MS but now I wish it was strokes for this reason. I went from a very happy woman to a very angry person. That was 20 years ago when I was diagnosed. Wish I could say that things got better but went from a husband that threw me against walls and used my MS as something that could be used against me to the next one who does the same but in worst way. Mind games and got 2 more children who have troubles of their own. One has ADHD and the other one has Autism. They need me and I need them. I never tell them my troubles because they do not need to know this crazyness that their mom is going through. They see it. When their mom gets sick with the flu and cannot walk, talk, shakes, cries for no reason, laughs when most people cries, (funerals for example) They know I have this disease but they do not know that is not the reason why I am so messed up. There is more but I can't post more right now. Good luck!

Comment

Judges want to see both parents being active in the children's lives. I think your husband is trying to scare you, and so far, it seems to be working.

Like others have suggested, find a lawyer that will give you a free consultation, and then fight for what you believe s best for your child.

My ex used every trick in the books to keep the children away from me. The judge saw through all the lies, and they remained with me.

Now is the time to stand up for what you believe is right. Your daughter deserve nothing less. Personally, I think your husband sounds like he s clutching at straws.

Not sure about the US, but in Australia, you would have to be very unable to care for your kids before your health was considered an issue. I doubt even being in a wheelchair would work against you. Should your husband pursue with his threats it will probably backfire.

Like I said, see a lawyer. Infact, see two or three and make sure you find one you believe in.

Comment

My ex is trying to do the same thing to me. I'm bipolar, and with my MS-like symptoms my arms sometimes get paralyzed and I get confused. Among other things. It scares me that he threatens but I'm fairly positive that can't happen.

Comment

After 9 years of joint custody my DH's 3 boys came to live with us and wanted their dad to have sole custody, their mom is a nutter. The were 12,13 and 15. His ex tried to use my MS against him in court... Judge told her that was abuse and if that's what she would say in court, imagine what the kids had to listen to... he's had sole custody since 2009!
                        RRMS 2005, Copaxone since 2007
                        "I hope to be the person my dog thinks I am."

Comment

Nope

Been through this already dear. He cannot use this against you unless you are PHYSICALLY UNABLE and UNFIT to care for your child. And let me tell you in America you have to be a very BAD mother for them to take your kids away from you completely in most cases. I was afraid my ex would do this with my son but my attorney said there's no way any court would go for it since I have nothing keeping me from being a good mother. All you ladies out there in the US your husbands DONT CONTROL YOU. Just because you may have illnesses does NOT mean you are unfit parents! Jeez! Some of the things I have read here are horrible. Some men are just all about control (my ex) that's why I changed sides! Lol CHEERS!
                          Manda

Comment

My Ex is insisting I don't have MS

Ex doesn't want custody of the kids. Am trying to get an increase in support due to my MS and inability to work - ex claims I don't have MS!

Comment

Working...
                            X