New Here, advice wanted....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Here, advice wanted....

I don't know if I am in the right spot... My mother had MS, it was horrible to watch... so very hard, she passed away about 6 years ago after a very long hard battle. (I am sorry I know that most of you don't want to hear this, and there have been many advancements in the last few years)

My son is 3 years old, he has had a lot of oddities in the last two years, when I type in his symptoms MS is one of the things that come up, but he is really too young from what I have read to have MS onset. Today we went to our second neurologist (one that only take very special cases) and I finally got up the courage to ask about MS. I was sure he was going to tell me I was silly because my son is so young. Instead I got a different response, he told me it was very interesting that I brought it up and that my mom had it. He said that last time we met he told me about a little boy who had one regression and they determined he had an auto-immune disease with a really long name, but it was a from of MS that only has one regression. He also told me it was a possibility and something to keep in mind for the future. He looked at Matt's MR and didn't see MS and said that it is better to do a spinal tap during a regression.

I was really hoping for reassurance that it wasn't a possibility. I know that we don't know anything yet and shouldn't worry until I know more, but after what I went through with my mom... it is so hard not to worry. Even calling my family and telling them it was a possibility was so hard.

My mom had her first documented symptoms very young, she was 11. They knew she had it before she got out of high school. It was a very different time them so she could have had other symptoms they just ignored. She is no longer living, my grandma doesn't have the best memory and blew her off for years thinking she was making things up. My aunt is 6 years younger than her and doesn't remember anything either.

Has anyone else gone through this? Anyone here who had early onset? I am sorry this is so long.

I'm 20 years old. I was diagnosed with ms at 16, but they said I'd probably had it for years because there were several lesions. More than they usually see in early ms patients. I had symptoms for years which were quickly explained away. Looking back on it, my mom says she can remember me having symptoms even when I was a kid. But I'm on treatment now, and doing really well. If you want to read the whole story, it's here:
    http://www.msworld.org/forum/showthread.php?t=109435

I'm really sorry to hear about your mom, and I hope everything turns out okay with your son. The good news is that you're getting on it early. There are lots of different treatments out there for ms nowadays and, although it can't be cured, there is alot you can do to manage symptoms and live a normal happy life. The best thing I can tell you is stay informed and keep a positive attitude especially around your son. If you give up, he'll give up. Kids are resilient, and sometimes they're even better at dealing with these things than we are.

Isaiah 41:10
    "So do not fear, for I am with you; do not be dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you; I will uphold you with my righteous hand."

We're all here for you. Everyone here has been very supportive. I hope everything works out. I will be praying for you. Welcome to msworld.

-Bethany

Comment

I had my first MS thing at age 11. and got dx at 42.

Its better to know as early as possible now that steps can be taken.

But back than, I dont think that, it would have been helpfull for me to know what was going on.

Comment

Working...
      X