MS Female: Options on Marriage Split

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MS Female: Options on Marriage Split

OK, I'm a happily married guy over in the UK. Yes, I have MS.

But, I have befriended a lady with MS in Utah, who feels that her marriage is at an end. She is now working through the available options.

One of her main concerns is losing the medical insurance she needs for her Gilenya treatment. She presently works part-time.

So, the medical insurance situation is alien to me.

Is there anyone, who has been through, or considered, this situation, who could provide any advice/thoughts?

Thanks in anticipation.

PS There is no hidden agenda here, just a fellow sufferer being a friend.

If you go here - http://www.msworld.org/forum/showthread.php?t=121313 there is a list for financial assistance for MS drugs. Norvatis is among them (for Gilenya)

Also from Utah's Dept of Health http://www.health.utah.gov/dispariti...careinutah.htm she may look through to find some health related benefits - Medicaid perhaps? (based on her income)

You are a good friend and good luck!
    1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
    Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Comment

She can request that continuing on her husband's medical insurance be written into their separation agreement. That way the insurance company can't discontinue her coverage based on not being a "spouse".
      RRMS 2005, Copaxone since 2007
      "I hope to be the person my dog thinks I am."

Comment

For anyone seeing the writing on the wall regarding an upcoming spit from a supporting spouse I'd urge them to start getting things in order asap.

Some part-time jobs offer health benefits for a little more money than full time employees pay or if she is able a full-time job might be necessary so she can get her own benefits.

I'm particularly paranoid about not having enough money to support myself at some point so I try to proactively plan for the future whenever possible. I hope this works out ok for her.
        He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
        Anonymous

Comment

You don't say whether she is employed, or, not employed. If she is employed, she should not be able to be denied medical coverage on her employer's insurance. If she is not employed, and it is due to health issues related to her MS, she might be able to get on disability (SSDI), if she isn't already. After 24 months on disability, she is automatically enrolled in Medicare Part A (which only covers hospitalizations) at no charge, and is eligible to purchase insurance coverage for other Medicare coverage (including doctors visits, medications, etc).

All of those options, of course, cost money. And, different insurance plans cover different medications and the deductibles vary; I'm not sure if hers would be covered or not.

Perhaps the previous suggestions would be more helpful.

~ Faith
          ~ Faith
          MSWorld Volunteer -- Moderator since JUN2012
          (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
          - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.
          - In 2008, I was back in limbo briefly, then re-dx w/ MS: JUL08

- Betaseron NOV03-AUG08; Copaxone20 SEPT08-APR15; Copaxone40 APR15-present
          - Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Comment

Thanks for all the advice posted.

Comment

Working...
            X