A Date with my MS Dad

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A Date with my MS Dad

Before my dad passed away I visited him on the hospice frequently, there was this peaceful moments that we talk about my younger days, and how he love being with me. Now that he is gone, and I have a serious relationship with this guy, I am planning to tell him about MS and probably if it runs in the blood.

Memories

Sorry to hear about your Dad's passing. I'm so glad you have wonderful memories to recall his life to you. Be strong, you seem to be making good choices for your life

Comment

MS doesn't necessarily run in families, if your dad is the only relative to have it especially. There 'may' be a slightly bigger chance that you may develop it.
      I wouldn't worry about it too much.
      techie
      Another pirated saying:
      Half of life is if.
      When today is bad, tomorrow is generally a better day.
      Dogs Rule!

Comment

Erase M.S.

My Mom also passed of M.S. related causes. Of course I told my husband about it when we dated the reason I didn't have a mother. I guess at that point, I really was in denial about the hereditary component, even though I had 3 cousins who also had it on my mother's side. 3 years after we were married, I, too, was diagnosed with M.S. It was a shock to both of us. We had a toddler by then, and neither one of us speaks of what kind of implications my family's history could have on her. 7+ years later we still find ourselves adjusting, but I will go to my grave worrying about our daughter getting what I now consider our family curse unless we find a cure.
        Tawanda

Comment

If you don't have MS yourself, unless you are talking marriage (or children), I probably wouldn't bring it up. I think it would cause this guy undue concern and possibly jeopardize your relationship.

If you are discussing marriage and/or children, then I would discuss it. Although your father had MS, it does not mean either you or any of your children will get it. I would also do some research and have some articles about this for your guy to read.

All the best to you.
          Dx'd : 10/30/2002
          Started Copaxone 12/16/2002
          Currently on Rituxan

Comment

What a lovely title to your post. It sounds like you had a wonderful relationship with your Dad.

So this guy and you sound serious. He is going to wonder what happened to your Dad...so why not be honest? I would simply say, "My father passed away from Multiple Sclerosis." Nothing wrong with that and leave it at that. You don't have MS. Hope for the best.

My Great Grandfather had MS. He had 7 children. Those 7 children had around 20 children (grandchildren). There are approximately 50 great-grandchildren (I being one of them). So out of the close to 100 people related to my Great-Grandad, only 2 of us have MS. Him and I. And as far as I know none of the Great Grandchildren's kids have shown symptoms (which is a great relief), because I too like another poster think about it everyday.

Everyone' story is different...every path is different. Do what you think is right.

Katie

Comment

Working...
            X