Update to ONE STEP OUT OF A NURSING HOME

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Update to ONE STEP OUT OF A NURSING HOME

I’m still pretty much one step out of a nursing home. My wife asked for a divorce; we were married 12 years; we’ll be divorced officially by end of this month. My caregiver situation has evolved negatively… well, I used to depend for all help on my wife, now I am getting the max # of hours of hha (home health aid) assistance from NJ through the county but really need a live-in and cannot afford one. I’m still in our home with my soon-to-be ex, don’t know how this will work out. It is probably unsustainable because I am beginning to need help eating. I’m at risk of pitching forward too far trying to eat and being stuck that way and home alone. This was a danger back in Sept. when I first posted “One Step Out Of A Nursing Home”.

When I asked if anybody had suggestions or knew of a source/meeting place/forum specifically where the severely disabled can find others with the same issues looking to share living expenses and caregiver costs I was thinking …

There must be other people around that are facing this same problem. Sharing the expense of a full time live-in caregiver with someone else in a similar situation or perhaps living semi-independently in a community where caregivers are shared is another possible solution? Has anybody heard about such communities? I’m not talking about assisted living, I’m way too handicapped for that plus assisted living is more costly than having a live-in from an agency in your own home!

Thank you for any good ideas! Thank you for pointing me to someone (or maybe even being someone!) that would think about such an arrangement. I’m in southern NJ.

I wish I had a good answer for you...I just don't. I will go to Assisted Living if that time ever comes.

I would get on the phone with you County Social Services Department and talk to a caseworker....they might know of a home like you are describing, or others who need a home to move into.

Since your soon to be ex is moving out, have you thought of turning your own home into one of these types of facilities and bringing others in and everyone share expenses?

Good Luck to you--Katie

Comment

thanks

Katie, only my bdrm/bath are accessible so my place might not work except for people with lesser needs. Still that would be a good idea IF my ex left but I'm not sure she wants to go anywhere without selling this house first...

like I said my level of care is way beyond what assisted living can handle. You've got me thinking though and thanks again!

Comment

OTSP, give a call to your chapter of the NMSS and ask to speak to someone in social services. Tell the receptionist what you need!. I'm sure the woman at the Philly office will know where direct your call! (Philadelphia NMSS also services S. Jersey)

I'll post the URL to the available chapters of the society, both South and North Jersey.

http://www.nationalmssociety.org/fin...ate=NJ&zipcode=

Please keep us posted!
        “The world breaks everyone, and afterward, some are strong at the broken places.” Ernest Hemingway
        Diagnosed 1979

Comment

You might also want to look into this place:
          http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/201..._multiple.html

I read about it when they first opened in my chapter's newsletter ( the one Jazz linked to, I'm also in South Jersey) and I remember thinking they sounded impressive. This article says the apartments are HC/WC accessible and that they have capped rates according to income with various support services packages. I don't have any details, but maybe they'd be worth looking into.

Comment

jazzgirl

Hi again jazz, I actually have muscular dystrophy but I visit this MS board because your members are numerous and this very active board seems like a good place to make new friends ! as well as get some new ideas about dealing with all the issues related to living with serious disability.

I don't think the NMSS can help me but I'll call anyway and report back. THANKS

Comment

Working...
            X