Thought it's time to say hi

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thought it's time to say hi

My name is Jenny and I've been reading posts here for a couple of months. I finally got around to posting my first post today and thought I should probably introduce myself.

I just turned 40, and live in the far-northern Chicago suburbs with my DH and 2 sons. I was diagnosed with RRMS in late December. My story is all-too-similar to many others that I've read...

In hindsight, I think I experienced my first symptom in the early '90s, when I was in college. I was experiencing joint pain in my hands that appeared similar to arthritis pain. My rheumatologist wouldn't diagnose arthritis, but treated me with meds and after a few months the symptoms were gone.

Fast forward to 1999, shortly after my older son was born. I had tingling in both hands, arms, and feet. Went to my doc, who diagnosed a pinched nerve. Since then, I also had ON, but of course, no one thought any of my weird history merited further testing. About 3 years ago, I had my first bout of foot drop; it terrified me! My PCP again diagnosed a pinched nerve and sent me for physical therapy. At the time, I asked her about the likelihood of MS; having done research since the ON, I knew that the combination of the two sx was an indicator. She actually laughed at me and told me not to go jumping to conclusions! I was perfectly happy to be told not to worry, so I dropped it.

Then I had another walking episode last summer. I was finding that I couldn't walk without dragging my leg when I was fatigued. Back I went to my PCP (this time a new doctor at the practice), and I laid out my whole sordid history, including the awful lack of balance I had discovered while at the gym. He asked if anyone had ever suggested MS to me, and I nearly hugged him! It was so nice to finally be taken seriously! He sent me to a neuro, who sent me for an MRI, and the rest is history.

I am so glad to actually have an answer for all of my weird symptoms. My family and friends are all shocked at how well I'm taking the news -- I've signed up for the MS Walk next month, I'm fundraising, and I've recruited 15 people so far to walk with me. My feeling is that I'm extremely lucky to be doing as well as I am, and the best thing I can do for myself is to raise awareness (and money!) to help fight this disease.
    ~Jenny~
    Diagnosed 12/2010
    Copaxone 1/2011

Hi Jenny

Welcome to MS World - nice to meet you!

About 3 years ago, I had my first bout of foot drop; it terrified me! My PCP again diagnosed a pinched nerve and sent me for physical therapy. At the time, I asked her about the likelihood of MS; having done research since the ON, I knew that the combination of the two sx was an indicator. She actually laughed at me and told me not to go jumping to conclusions! I was perfectly happy to be told not to worry, so I dropped it.
    Back I went to my PCP (this time a new doctor at the practice), and I laid out my whole sordid history, including the awful lack of balance I had discovered while at the gym. He asked if anyone had ever suggested MS to me, and I nearly hugged him! It was so nice to finally be taken seriously! He sent me to a neuro, who sent me for an MRI, and the rest is history.
    Thank goodness for the good docs who take their patients seriously!

I am so glad to actually have an answer for all of my weird symptoms. My family and friends are all shocked at how well I'm taking the news
    Few people can understand the relief that those of us with MS get when we finally have an answer for all the weird symptoms. Somehow knowing what we're dealing with takes away a boat load of anxiety.

I've signed up for the MS Walk next month, I'm fundraising, and I've recruited 15 people so far to walk with me. My feeling is that I'm extremely lucky to be doing as well as I am, and the best thing I can do for myself is to raise awareness (and money!) to help fight this disease.
    You have a great attitude. Thanks for your participation in fundraising!

Wishing you all the best.

Hope to see you around here!

Take care,
    KoKo
    PPMS for 26 years (dx 1998)
    ~ Worrying will not take away tomorrow's troubles ~ But it will take away today's peace. ~

Comment

Welcome!

Glad you finally found a doc to take you seriously and figure out what was up! You have a great attitude, kudos to you for fundraising and doing the walk!

Comment

Hi Jen,

Welcome to the boards! I'm glad you got some questions answered. Having a good doc is priceless.

I grew up in Schaumburg, still have family in the Chicagoland area. Small world!
        Opiegirl, Dx 1991
        Have never used DMD's.

LDN 9/2011-9/2012 & just started again 6/14
        Estriol 9/12-present
        Still Hopeful.

Comment

Nice to meet you Jenny! I am like you. So lucky that I have not suffered as badly as some of our comrades. I just posted for the first time yesterday. We are so lucky to have a network of great people who are going through the same things we are. I have been participating in the MS Walk in Charlotte, NC for the past 3 years. I am hitting up my customers for donations all the time. I truly feel optimistic about the future treatments of this disease.

Good luck!

Comment

Working...
          X