Hi Everyone

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi Everyone

I just sorta feel that I have to rant. I was diagnosed at the end of my freshman year of college (so suffice it to say that the whole "college experience" sort of went in a downward spiral then). The college that I attend is not really close to my home town, and I was extremely active in highschool so I am hesitant to really even talk with the old highschool friends. Also, ever since being diagnosed, I seem to be crawling more into myself. There are a select few people that I really even talk to anymore.

That pity-party stuff out of the way, I was definitely glad that I had never really intended to do anything physical like be a pro- anything. I was really happy with my mind. As a matter of fact, I am graduating with a Masters in Computational and Applied Mathematics in May (or so). What is really scaring me now is that most physical abilities are going down the toilet - I find it hard to do a whole lot with my hands because of loss of dexterity. This includes writing or typing. I am really trying to become ambidextrous because, hilariously, most sensation has left my right arm and leg (and I am right handed).

I am just not too sure of what I can do other than just watch the slow escape of all of my abilities with very little I can do about it. Any suggestions are more than welcome

Hello Joe

Welcome to MS World - nice to meet you!

As a matter of fact, I am graduating with a Masters in Computational and Applied Mathematics in May (or so).
    Good for you - sounds like you do have a great mind!!

What is really scaring me now is that most physical abilities are going down the toilet - I find it hard to do a whole lot with my hands because of loss of dexterity. This includes writing or typing. I am really trying to become ambidextrous because, hilariously, most sensation has left my right arm and leg (and I am right handed).
    I can really relate to that, Joe. My right side is very much affected from the MS, and I too was right handed. I am now officially left handed! I do most everything now with my left hand/arm, and it feels almost as natural as when I used my right hand/arm.

I am just not too sure of what I can do other than just watch the slow escape of all of my abilities with very little I can do about it. Any suggestions are more than welcome
    I understand what you're saying. I've had PPMS for 12 years now and there are many things I can no longer do. So, the next best thing is to do what we are able to do.

I ride a stationary bike and walk with a roller walker to keep moving as best as I can. Also, I use an arm cycle to work my arms. Doing stretches on a regular basis is very helpful too.

Has your doctor suggested physical therapy? I went for several sessions and learned what I could do at home on my own.

I have found that by doing regular physical exercise/activity, I feel as if I am doing something, and have some control.

Eating healthy foods, keeping hydrated, and getting plenty of rest are also important for overall health.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask and we'll be glad to help if we can. You are welcome to share your experiences, and vent anytime you need to!

Take care,
    KoKo
    PPMS for 26 years (dx 1998)
    ~ Worrying will not take away tomorrow's troubles ~ But it will take away today's peace. ~

Comment

hi joe and welcome!!!!!! glad you found us. i, like you, was very active also. i am now in a wc, so the physical aspect of activity is gone. i do as much as i can, which is amazingly similiar to what i once took for granted (i just learned to do things differently). life is all about adaptation now. where`s a will, THERE IS a way!!!!!!
      the "pity party" thing is 'normal'. you are giving (loosing) what was once commonplace. it is a natural grieving procwss. good luck.

dave
      hunterd/HuntOP/Dave
      volunteer
      MS World
      hunterd@msworld.org
      PPMS DX 2001

"ADAPT AND OVERCOME" - MY COUSIN

Comment

Thanks you guys. I know that I just have to learn to adapt. It is just extremely frustrating for me, and there isn't a time when I wish this would not have happened to me.

Speaking of which, being semi-statistically minded, I was wondering about causes: nobody in my family has ever had ms, I lived lower than longitude lines of most frequency, I read that females are more likely to contract ms then males. Basically everything I read says that I am a statistical anomaly. Have they ever found what causes MS, or is it basically a guess at best, and I just came up with the short end of the stick?

Comment

I too, got the short stick. No one in my family has ever had MS and I live in Oklahoma so it's not as common here as it is in northern states. The only logical thing is that I am a woman. Oh, and I am Progressive Relapsing. My stick is quite short!

A tip for for computer usage: You might check into Dragon software. It is a voice-commanded program. If you have problems typing, it might be worth it. It normally runs around $99 on Amazon.
          Rae Roy

Comment

Originally posted by RoyaleMSer View Post
            A tip for for computer usage: You might check into Dragon software. It is a voice-commanded program. If you have problems typing, it might be worth it. It normally runs around $99 on Amazon.
            That sounds really neat - I'll have to look into it. Thanks

Comment

Working...
            X