nobody knows

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

nobody knows

Hi there; I'm a carpenter that had MS for a long time.Never knew it 'til I was diagnosed in Jan. 2008. It's progressive MS. I've always been active and now I am as active as MS will allow. I go out in public and have to use forearm crutches. People look at me with wonder. I would love to wear a sign on my back that says" What Are You Looking At". But that would not be good, so I don't. I have a loving family and all help when I ask for it. I'm trying to become a professional baker, but the money isn't there. Speaking of which, I need to end this and go tend some cinnamon rolls. Thanks for letting me type here. Chow for Now Mark

Hello Mark

Welcome to MS World - nice to meet you!

It's progressive MS. I've always been active and now I am as active as MS will allow.
    I can really relate to that - I have PPMS, and was a very active person too. We can only do the best that we can, one day at a time. I ride a stationary bike and walk with the roller walker, so I'm grateful that I am moving after 12years with PPMS. (Of course, I do miss playing tennis and riding my regular bicycle.....)

I'm guessing that you have retired from carpentry? You probably miss it alot. I've known a few carpenters, and they really love that trade.

Sounds like you love baking also! Cinnamon rolls - mmmm I can almost smell them!

Glad to learn that you have a supportive family.

Feel free to ask questions and we'll be glad to help if we can. Also, you can share your experiences, and vent if you need to. We have supportive members who really do understand the challenges related to living with MS.

Hope to see you around!

Take care,
    KoKo
    PPMS for 26 years (dx 1998)
    ~ Worrying will not take away tomorrow's troubles ~ But it will take away today's peace. ~

Comment

hi mark!
      you've found a great spot to talk to others who know how you feel.
      i know it must be hard giving up your career. carpentry sounds like a fun career. it's great that your channeling your energy into cooking.
      i agree cinnamon buns sound yummy! but wouldn't be too good for the diet right now !

don't let the stares keep you inside or stop you from getting about! just realize people are basically curious and uninformed when it comes to how it feels to being disabled.
      sometimes i think it would be fun to do a sign too or get a really loud horn on my wc so people will get out of the way.
      being in a wc somehow makes you invisible, unless of course you 'accidently' bump their shins!

hang in there and really on your family and come here when you need to talk, vent or ask advice. there's always someone around that can help.

take care and God bless ya!
      "All things are possible for those who believe." Jesus

Comment

Originally posted by marcus8560 View Post
        Hi there; I'm a carpenter that had MS for a long time.Never knew it 'til I was diagnosed in Jan. 2008. It's progressive MS. I've always been active and now I am as active as MS will allow. I go out in public and have to use forearm crutches. People look at me with wonder. I would love to wear a sign on my back that says" What Are You Looking At". Mark
        Me too! Welcome!
        Aitch - Writer, historian, wondermom. First symptoms in my teens, DX'd in my twenties, disabled in my thirties. Still the luckiest girl in the world.

Comment

Common Ground

Hey There! I assume this is the correct way to reply to the past responses. I like things simple and this seemed like the simplest way to talk. Today I felt strong so Im making dark rye sourdough loaves. New recipes and style of mixing then Im use to. Ive got 2 to 3 hrs to recoop from the mixing till the next step.

KOKO I too have ppms. I was walking and climbing ladders when diagnosed, I kept what I had for a year. I was in a headon logging truck accident, broke my asceptibular and had to sit still for 57 days. When all was healed I was very weak and had to rely on forearm sticks. My strength in arms and back seem to get better to a certain point. My legs and waist are another story. Having to use sticks for mobility... doesnt that mean Ive progressed to secondary? Ive got a DR. date coming soon, but I was just curious.

12 yrs wow! Thats GREAT that your exercising like you are! Dont stop. I learned that the hard way. I try to do carpentry stuff still but cant do it for a living. I know enough to figure out how to make it easier. But that doesnt always help. My strength to reach is not there, so ive been getting help and pointing fingers. Thats the hardest thing to get use to. I never told people how to do things, I just did it . Besides I got all the jobs that other people wouldnt or couldnt do.Now Im walking down a store isle and asking for help to lift a box off a shelf. The good thing is that the " sticks" get attention from the clerks and they "snap" to help.

Hey poohb3ar I cant believe people dont get out of your way. People see me walking down the 10ft isle and they go to the extreme side to get out of my way. Thats irritating. Id like to poke them with my stick to make their effort worth something. I started out going to stores and using their scooters. What a joke! Too slow and too low. People walk casually faster then those scooters go. Then when I see what I need, Ive gotta stand up and balance for the item. Thats why I dont use them anymore. Luckly I have a choice.

Well this has been a very VENTFUL reply. Time for me to make some " cim-ma-num" rolls. Thanks again!

***Post broken into paragraphs for readability. Some of our members have vision problems with large blocks of type.***

Comment

Working...
          X