Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Am I Nuts?

Hello,
    I have been trying to find out for sure if I have MS for eight months. I have had eight MRI's which show some possible signs of early demylelination. My Neurologist who specializes in MS says he is 70% sure I have MS. But, the MRI's do not show any changes over the past eight months. I stumble a lot, have fatigue ALL the time, have numbness and tingling ALL the time in various parts of my body etc...
    So, my question is as follows. Is there a place in Dallas TX or Huston TX where there are more advanced MRI machines which may be able to detect lesions the regular MRI's can't.
    Help, I am going nuts with this thing.

I can't answer your question of Docs in your area, sorry. But I can say NOPE not NUTS. I thought the same thing and I understand the difficulty with all of the ups and downs.

I went through the same stuff and am now going in for a 3rd opinion because I guess I tend to think I am Nuts too. Not MS.

I started with a headache from HELL to put it nicely. Then a numbing of my forehead and right side of my face. Thought I was having a stroke.

I too have had MRIs with Plaques and then those without.
    If you have repair that makes things so much more difficult to diagnose but it is also a good thing too.

I guess all I am saying is I can def sympathize. Good Luck and unfortunately you have to have tons of patience that sometimes is hard to find.
    Dx'd RRMS 7/12/2010, Back in the Prob. Pile 2/1/2011 "Jump, and you will find out how to unfold your wings as you fall”...Ray Bradbury

Comment

Originally posted by TomD View Post
      Hello,
      I have been trying to find out for sure if I have MS for eight months. I have had eight MRI's which show some possible signs of early demylelination. My Neurologist who specializes in MS says he is 70% sure I have MS. But, the MRI's do not show any changes over the past eight months. I stumble a lot, have fatigue ALL the time, have numbness and tingling ALL the time in various parts of my body etc...
      So, my question is as follows. Is there a place in Dallas TX or Huston TX where there are more advanced MRI machines which may be able to detect lesions the regular MRI's can't.
      I'm not familiar with your area, but I am wondering why they've given you so many MRIs in such a short time. Progression with MS isn't necessarily fast, so they may not be seeing a change. I know you want changes so you can have an answer, but you may be making yourself more stressed with the continual MRIs.

Comment

Nuts

No, you are not nuts. It took me over a year and a half to be diagnosed. Have they done a spinal tap? If not, that can be a good dx tool for MS but not always.

Your symptoms do sound like MS to me since I have the same ones but I pray it is not MS. Just stay strong and remember that you are not NUTS!

Keep us posted.
        I may have MS but MS does not have me!

Comment

Hi Tom

Welcome to MS World!

Sorry you're going through much frustration, both with your symptoms, and with trying to get some kind of a diagnosis.

To make a diagnosis of MS, most neuros follow a diagnostic criteria. A brain MRI doesn't have to be positive for a diagnosis, if other aspects of the diagnostic criteria are met. This brief article explains how MS is diagnosed:

http://www.nationalmssociety.org/abo...-ms/index.aspx

Unfortunately, it can take quite awhile for a diagnosis, and lots of tests to rule out other conditions.

Also, you may try contacting your local chapter of the National MS Society to help you with your MRI question.

Good luck!

Take care,
          KoKo
          PPMS for 26 years (dx 1998)
          ~ Worrying will not take away tomorrow's troubles ~ But it will take away today's peace. ~

Comment

n

Noo idea about mri machines or drs in your area. But WELCOME TO MSWORLD!!!!!!! Glad to have you here. It does take time for a dx, mine took 7 years. Good luck.

Dave
            hunterd/HuntOP/Dave
            volunteer
            MS World
            hunterd@msworld.org
            PPMS DX 2001

"ADAPT AND OVERCOME" - MY COUSIN

Comment

Am I Nuts Reply

Thanks everyone for sharing your thoughts and encouragement as I await to find out if I have MS. My wife also enjoys reading the Caregivers section. We know we are not alone because all of you are here. THANKS!!

Comment

TomD

We're glad that you and your wife found this site!

Nice to know that you are finding it beneficial!

Take care,
                KoKo
                PPMS for 26 years (dx 1998)
                ~ Worrying will not take away tomorrow's troubles ~ But it will take away today's peace. ~

Comment

tom, have you had an emg or a spinal tap?
                  hunterd/HuntOP/Dave
                  volunteer
                  MS World
                  hunterd@msworld.org
                  PPMS DX 2001

"ADAPT AND OVERCOME" - MY COUSIN

Comment

TY Hunter

I was just going to say that
                    that is how they found it on me to buddy

Comment

Originally posted by TomD View Post
                      Hello,
                      Is there a place in Dallas TX or Huston TX where there are more advanced MRI machines which may be able to detect lesions the regular MRI's can't.
                      Welcome TomD!
                      Not sure who you are seeing for your dx, but I highly recommend any of the docs at Maxine Messenger MS Clinic in Houston's medical ctr. I see Dr Rivera but I've heard very good things about all of the others. The clinic is associated with Baylor & is up-to-date on all medical advances. If anybody knows about advanced MRI machines or testing, it'll be them.
                      DX 10/2008
                      Beta Babe 12/2008-07/2013
                      Tecfidera 07/2013-01/2018
                      Aubagio 01/18-09/20

Ocrevus 09/20-present

Comment

Working...
                      X