New to the Forum/Intro.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New to the Forum/Intro.

Hi, I just found this forum today and am looking forward to connecting with people who know exactly what I'm going through.

I'm 24 years old and I was diagnosed w/RRMS in April 2010. I am a stay at home mom with two beautiful sons ages 1 & 2. My husband and I met in college and have been together 4 years. He has been my rock through all of this.

I was put on Avonex after my diagnosis, but have continued to have pretty severe flare ups every 8-12 weeks since then. My mobility is what has been most affected. I have had some hair loss from Avonex as well. After all the exacerbations and 6 IV steroid treatments, I am looking forward to starting Gilenya next week.

My goals before MS were to be a teacher. I am still pursuing this dream as a post bac alternative cert. student and working really hard to maintain a positive attitude. I also am on a weight loss journey, which is interesting to say the least due to my inability to balance and/or walk and the strong reaction I have to heat. I am a former runner.

I remain quite optimistic about the new meds. They have to work, they just have to. I can't be fat, bald AND in a wheelchair.
    25 years old; self proclaimed steroid queen; diagnosed 04/2010 highly active RRMS <<< Feeling GREAT since Gilenya Jan. 2011

Hello Hodgeshs

Welcome to MS World!

Hi, I just found this forum today and am looking forward to connecting with people who know exactly what I'm going through.
    We're glad you found this site - a great place where there are others who really do understand what you're going through.

I'm 24 years old and I was diagnosed w/RRMS in April 2010. I am a stay at home mom with two beautiful sons ages 1 & 2. My husband and I met in college and have been together 4 years. He has been my rock through all of this.
    Sounds like a wonderful family!

I was put on Avonex after my diagnosis, but have continued to have pretty severe flare ups every 8-12 weeks since then. My mobility is what has been most affected. I have had some hair loss from Avonex as well. After all the exacerbations and 6 IV steroid treatments, I am looking forward to starting Gilenya next week.
    Sorry to learn that Avonex wasn't working for you. I find it baffling how the meds work so differently for each person. Fortunately there are other options. Good luck to you with the Gilenya!

My goals before MS were to be a teacher. I am still pursuing this dream as a post bac alternative cert. student and working really hard to maintain a positive attitude. I also am on a weight loss journey, which is interesting to say the least due to my inability to balance and/or walk and the strong reaction I have to heat. I am a former runner.
    Good for you on pursuing your teaching goal. It must be a real challenge, along with the MS, and taking care of your family too. I'm wishing for you that the MS will "cut you some slack", and you are able to get through school with ease.

And good luck with your weight loss journey. We have a weekly support weight loss group in the Basic Health Matters forum, if you're interested.

I'm sure your mobility issues are really tough to accept, especially being a former runner (not to mention your young age).

Let's remain hopeful that your new treatment with Gilenya will be very beneficial to you!

Any questions, just ask. We'll be glad to help if we can.

Wishing you the best!

Take care,
    KoKo
    PPMS for 26 years (dx 1998)
    ~ Worrying will not take away tomorrow's troubles ~ But it will take away today's peace. ~

Comment

Hi hodgeshs,

Welcome!
      So glad you found this site.
      It's a place of encouragement and shared experiences.

I was 24 when I was diagnosed, too.
      And like you, I have a wonderfully supportive husband who has been there from the beginning. It's wonderful that you have children and can stay home with them. I admire all moms!

Best wishes with Gilenya.
      As new treatments come along, it gives me hope for us all.
      It will be interesting to see how these meds work on people in the future.
      When I began Copaxone in '96, people were unsure about it too. It was my only choice, so even after having a few flares while taking it, I didn't change therapies.

I'm glad I stayed with it because it has been a long time since I have had a flare. I did have to learn to stop being "brave" and tell my docs about flares.
      Learning to embrace drugs has been a learning process since before, I basically never got sick.

I also have had to learn to stop and rest even if I feel alright. MS has taught me to laugh more at myself and be much more easy going.

As a woman in her mid 40's, I hope my post encourages you.

Good luck with your goals. MS has changed quite a few of them for me, but it's alright. I have what really matters; my family.

Comment

Hi and welcome!
        He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
        Anonymous

Comment

Welcome

Hello and welcome

You found a great site and alot of great and wonderful ppl who try to help as much as they can and understand everything your going through.

You mentioned that you had Iv steriods how was it? I'm going into the hospital this friday to get it done and I'm really nervous about it

Keep Smiling

Comment

Koko, thank you so much for such a warm welcome and all the tips! I am already learning a lot from this forum.

Twisterrd, it is so nice to hear that someone else has such a devoted spouse. We are so very lucky. I am so happy that copaxone works for you. I really appreciate the reminder to rest even when I feel really good. It's all still fairly new to me. My priorities have definitely changed. Yes, I still dream about teaching, but cherish the time I am able to spend being a SAHM as well. MS definitely puts life in perspective. Thank you for the welcome!

Jules A - Hi!

Navaeh - Hello! TY for the welcome. Yes, I am the steroid queen! lol My first IV went great. I'm not scared of needles in the least. Thr drip will make you have a nasty taste in your mouth so take a drink and some peppermints. Mine take right at an hour to run. You may feel a little light headed when you stand, but that passes. I immediately felt pins and needles in my legs which were numb. I always assume that means the drug is working. I was a little naueseas the first time on the first day, but not too bad. They work really well for me. I come in the first day in a wheelchair and am walking in the 3rd day. I hope you have similar results. Also, they are going to make you sweaty and hungry. It is always WELL worth it for me because that is the only thing that affords me to walk. Don't be nervous you will do great. (Sorry for the novel.)
            25 years old; self proclaimed steroid queen; diagnosed 04/2010 highly active RRMS <<< Feeling GREAT since Gilenya Jan. 2011

Comment

Working...
            X