kinda sudden and severe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

kinda sudden and severe

Hi all. Call me Wiley. Like most of you, I had symptoms of MS for a long time that could all be attributed to other things. Over the course of three days I went from having a limp and unsteady gait to not being able to stand with a cane. When I started to cry, I decided to go to the emergency room instead of waiting the four days until my doctor's appointment.

I told the emergency room doctor that it seemed like MS, but surely you don't just get crippled all of a sudden by MS. Right? I spent five days in the hospital and have been tentatively diagnosed with MS. Then I spent three weeks in rehab where I spent most of my time in a wheelchair. I got home last Tuesday, and use the walker to go to the bathroom and to make food, but sit and lie down a lot. The fatigue is unbelievable. It seems that what I used to call "being tired" was something altogether different. MS took the "H" out of my A.D.H.D., that's for sure.

Wednesday I get the lumbar puncture, because there are so many lesions that one of my doctors suspects Devick's.
    I hope it's MS. When I told my boyfriend this he said, "I'm a llama, again!" Right.

This is too weird. It has been so severe that it's hard for me to imagine remission, but I'm hoping.

Hello Wiley and welcome to MSWorld.

That's how I got diagnosed...sudden and severe.

I am sorry, it sucks. Understand it can take time but it's possible to see improvement...with tears and frustration
    Diagnosed 1984
    “Lightworkers aren’t here to avoid the darkness…they are here to transform the darkness through the illuminating power of love.” Muses from a mystic

Comment

thanks snoopy

MS is flakier than I am. I hate the suspense as much as the sudden disability.

Comment

Hi Wiley,
        The onset of my symptoms was also sudden and severe. It's a lot to deal with, I know.
        I hope you have a good support system at home and I'm sorry you had to find your way here.
        Please keep us updated on your progress.
        Courage is NOT the absence of fear, it is going forward in spite of fear. Diagnosed 5/27/10

Comment

Hello Wiley

Welcome to MS World!

Sorry for the tough time you're experiencing.

Good luck on Wednesday with your lumbar puncture.

Keep us informed as to what's going on. We'll be here for support.

Any questions, just ask and we'll be glad to help if we can.

Take care,
          KoKo
          PPMS for 26 years (dx 1998)
          ~ Worrying will not take away tomorrow's troubles ~ But it will take away today's peace. ~

Comment

soooooo

Have any sudden and severe onset sufferers here gone into remission and been normal again as if you didn't have MS at all, for any length of time? Or just been a whole lot better? Am I dreaming that this can happen?

Comment

Hey Wiley

Have any sudden and severe onset sufferers here gone into remission and been normal again as if you didn't have MS at all, for any length of time? Or just been a whole lot better? Am I dreaming that this can happen?
              You are welcome to ask your question on the General Questions and Answers forum if you want to.

http://www.msworld.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3

You may get more views/responses in that forum.

My experience won't be very helpful as I have PPMS - slow, continuous progression from the start, no relapses and no remissions.

Take care,
              KoKo
              PPMS for 26 years (dx 1998)
              ~ Worrying will not take away tomorrow's troubles ~ But it will take away today's peace. ~

Comment

wiley, welcome to our community!!!!! we are glad to have you, but sorry for the reason. my ms is ppms also, but a good friend is rrms. when he has a flair it knocks him flat on his back. he loses most abilities to walk and talk. he`s had ms for 27 years, and when not in a relapseyou wouldn`t know it!!!! good luck.

dave
                hunterd/HuntOP/Dave
                volunteer
                MS World
                hunterd@msworld.org
                PPMS DX 2001

"ADAPT AND OVERCOME" - MY COUSIN

Comment

Sudden and Severe

Wiley,

Thats how it happened for me out of the blue sudden and severe. went from completely functioning with no idea I had MS other then hinesight now. However over time it gets better. Ya it sucks MS is not something anyone wants but with proper caring for yourself it does get better, you just have to take care of yourself do what the dr's say and really just listen to your body. When you get that extreme exhaustion, sleep. The one thing I can say is dont spend too much time in bed unless you are trying to sleep. I found the more time I spend in bed the more drained I become and the less motivated I am to do things. Just stay strong, and focused on your goals and what you can do not what you think you cant. It does get better stay positive and positive things will happen

Comment

Before the Lumbar Puncture, be sure to request a Blood Patch.
                    These are useful in preventing terrible headaches.
                    I wish I'd had one drawn for me years ago because the headache I had after the Spinal Tap was insanely terrible.

Best wishes Wiley.

Comment

I think that's how a lot of us got DX'd. Back when I had the flare that got me DX'd, I became kind of stiff, then really stiff, then stiff and numb... it sucked!
                      Aitch - Writer, historian, wondermom. First symptoms in my teens, DX'd in my twenties, disabled in my thirties. Still the luckiest girl in the world.

Comment

Working...
                      X