Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My MS story

Hello everyone:

My MS history started in April 19, 2010, on my second daughter's birthday. I was still in a walking boot from a fall down the stairs and an ankle fracture six weeks prior when I was 5 months pregnant with my third daughter. I was about to start a training session, when I felt really dizzy, vertigo, and had double vision. It was so intense that I had to sit down. After a few minutes I regained myself and started talking, but my speech was very slurred. After that, extreme fatigue and blurry vision bothered me so much that I went to see my OB-GYN thinking that it was pregnancy related.

A week later, I went to the optometrist thinking that I needed glasses (I have never had vision problems before). My left eye was blind; 7/200 to be exact. He immediately referred me to a retinologist, who referred me to a neuro-ophthalmologist, who gave me the fabulous news that I had optic neuritis and possibly MS. He sent me for an MRI, and there it was, plaques in my brain. I did not know about MS until then, so I started to look for answers and information. After a round of Solu-Medrol, my vision improved, but I still have residual effects from it.

A month after my daughter was born, I started having walking difficulties, pain, migraines, numbness, itchiness, "bugs" crawling over me, etc. My neuro watched it for a month because he said it was possible that the heat (which I am now very sensitive to) and the rigorous of being a new mother might be to blame. On Labor Day, I fell down the stairs again. Did not break anything this time, thank God, and the neuro gave me another round of the solu juice. I started on Copaxone right around the same time.

I returned back to work at the end of September to find out that my once clever, clear, and quick brain was gone. I have lots of difficulty concentrating and forget things a lot.

Just before I returned to work, my husband got a phone call. It was a job offer in Germany. He's being a stay at home dad and student for the last 2.5 years. He started to look for work when we found out what I had and seeing how sick I had been this year. So, we are moving to Germany. Which means I am down to one job: my three children.

Well, that's pretty much in a nut shell. It's funny how having a chronic disease forces you to see things from a different perspective.

See ya all around.
    First episode with third pregnancy
    On my fourth med: Tysabri since Jan 2013
    Proud mommy of three children

Hello sexyg

Welcome to MS World!

Gosh, it sounds like your onslaught of symptoms came over the course of a few months.

Just before I returned to work, my husband got a phone call. It was a job offer in Germany. He's being a stay at home dad and student for the last 2.5 years. He started to look for work when we found out what I had and seeing how sick I had been this year. So, we are moving to Germany. Which means I am down to one job: my three children.
    That's quite a move! Glad to hear your husband got a job, and you can focus on taking care of your 3 little ones. That's a big job too!

It's funny how having a chronic disease forces you to see things from a different perspective.
    You've got that right!

So when is the move to Germany? Good luck with that. Let us know how you are doing.

Wishing you and your family the best!

Take care,
    KoKo
    PPMS for 26 years (dx 1998)
    ~ Worrying will not take away tomorrow's troubles ~ But it will take away today's peace. ~

Comment

Hi Koko:

Yes, its been quite a ride this year. Although when I look at everything in retrospective, I think I've had symptoms years before, but no doctor ever pointed to MS. For instance, I found old medical records from a previous family doctor, and I was seen several times for pain in my right leg. It was always dismissed as a sprain. It turns out that my right side is the one that's giving me trouble (spasticity, pain, weakness at times).

I also had a bout of debilitating migraines and buzzing in the ears during my college years and recently recovered from a bout of tinnitus that lasted almost a year. Can you imagine constant buzzing in your ears and nor my family doctor or the ENT could find the cause? I wonder if it was all related.

I also got sick many times last year and it turned out that my Vit D level was very low. I've been supplementing for a year and just got rechecked in it was still low. I was put on the mega Vit D dose once a day for a week, and now have to do one weekly.

We are making the big move before Christmas. I have been flaring these days but I think its because of the stress related with the move. So far, my little ones are loving having mommy with them all day. I had a very demanding job and I'm glad is over. This is a new chapter in our lives and I want to get more time with my children and focus on me to manage my MS.

I'll see ya around and will keep you posted.
      First episode with third pregnancy
      On my fourth med: Tysabri since Jan 2013
      Proud mommy of three children

Comment

hello. Welcome to the site.
        Sasha - dx January 2011; tysarbi, zanaflex, gabapentin, and baclofen
        ~Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it is about learning to dance in the rain.~

Comment

Working...
        X