No Dx yet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No Dx yet

I'm 65, VA neuro-opthalmologist is thinking I am PPMS from long ago with most all Sx's, lab and tests indicating MS but MRI's have been "negative" other than a "few spots," maybe small strokes and one positive lesion, eye exam on 12/2 and I'm taking my military, private (plus MRI) from Mayo and Univ MS Med Ctr (early Dx was MS but MRI at Birmingham discounted that) next door to VA hospital and some VA records to him. He showed me and RN wife my MRI cord stenosis, reduced volume of cerebellum and brain mass. Other VA records are at the Board Appeal for last 17 months and may be more years for that to finally answer my latest appeal starting in 1970 when I left active service at age 25, long story as anyone can imagine over 40+ years of Sx Hx. I retired disabled at age 47 in 1992 from State and Soc Sec Disability for Mayo's Dx of atypical spinocerebellar degeneration, on a cane then with hand controls in my car(s), now use a walker when leg pain/cramps are too much and wheelchair in VA, too far to walk. I failed my FAA 3rd class flight physical in 1974 due to vertigo while flying and driving, real panic when my head was in the dash or passenger seat. Sx's change over time, most worse or new, some less severe.

Early Sx's were typical, large numbers and bizarre as I learned from my MS support group members and from this list, thought I was the worst malingerer in military and hypochondriac with medical student syndrome disease from reading medical textbooks on neurology and AMA Journal articles at the local hospital library next to my office. The librarian must have thought I was staff because I was there so often with my community collrge work and PT for my symptoms. Dad was a dentist and mom was an RN. I inherited his Gray's Anatomy text book.

Final Dx means little as treatment options are little or none either way Dx goes.
    Bill McGraw
    "Somewhere South of Chicago"
    Greenville, MS

Hello Bill

I'm 65, VA neuro-opthalmologist is thinking I am PPMS from long ago with most all Sx's, lab and tests indicating MS but MRI's have been "negative" other than a "few spots," maybe small strokes and one positive lesion, eye exam on 12/2 and I'm taking my military, private (plus MRI) from Mayo and Univ MS Med Ctr (early Dx was MS but MRI at Birmingham discounted that) next door to VA hospital and some VA records to him. He showed me and RN wife my MRI cord stenosis, reduced volume of cerebellum and brain mass.
    I would think that PPMS is a possibility, as this type of MS doesn't always show large lesions or a large quantity of lesions.

Other VA records are at the Board Appeal for last 17 months and may be more years for that to finally answer my latest appeal starting in 1970 when I left active service at age 25, long story as anyone can imagine over 40+ years of Sx Hx. I retired disabled at age 47 in 1992 from State and Soc Sec Disability for Mayo's Dx of atypical spinocerebellar degeneration, on a cane then with hand controls in my car(s), now use a walker when leg pain/cramps are too much and wheelchair in VA, too far to walk. I failed my FAA 3rd class flight physical in 1974 due to vertigo while flying and driving, real panic when my head was in the dash or passenger seat. Sx's change over time, most worse or new, some less severe.
    Bill, have you seen our Miltary Veterans Forum? I'm sure the other Vets would love to meet you and hear your story. Here is the link to get there.

http://www.msworld.org/forum/forumdi...sprune=-1&f=91

Wishing you all the best!

Take care,
    KoKo
    PPMS for 26 years (dx 1998)
    ~ Worrying will not take away tomorrow's troubles ~ But it will take away today's peace. ~

Comment

Working...
    X