my mom had MS, i was diagnosed last week

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

my mom had MS, i was diagnosed last week

Hey my name is Dani (I'm a girl lol) and I'm 25. I was just diagnosed last week. I am in a mix of emotions at this point. It is really hard for me to use my right hand, sorry if I mis spell anything. Iam looking for new friends and really support. My mom was diagnosed in '93 and passed away in 2004. I live in Kansas City, Missouri and am looking for support groups or just people to talk to. Thanks!

Hello Dani

Welcome to MS World!

Hey my name is Dani (I'm a girl lol) and I'm 25. I was just diagnosed last week. I am in a mix of emotions at this point.
    Most of us can understand your mix of emotions. You were recently diagnosed with MS and you are also very young. It takes some time to digest it all!

It is really hard for me to use my right hand, sorry if I mis spell anything.
    Not to worry! You don't have to be a perfect speller here!

My mom was diagnosed in '93 and passed away in 2004.
    I'm sorry to learn about your Mom. That must be very difficult. We have a few members here whose Moms also had MS.

I live in Kansas City, Missouri and am looking for support groups or just people to talk to.
    We have various Forums here with information and interesting topics. You will find helpful and supportive members too. If you have any questions, just ask and we'll help if we can. Looking forward to seeing you around.

Take care,
    KoKo
    PPMS for 26 years (dx 1998)
    ~ Worrying will not take away tomorrow's troubles ~ But it will take away today's peace. ~

Comment

Hi Dani,

Welcome; I was diagnosed in March. I live in mid-Kansas but my neurologist is Dr. Rowe in Kansas City. There is a support group that meets at O'Charley's in Independence on the second Tuesday of the month-at 6:00 I think. I haven't been able to go because my appointments don't fall on the second Tuesday, but it sounds like a varied group full of nice people. As scary as it can be to be diagnosed with MS, Kansas City is probably one of the better places you can live. There is a large network of people and resources for support.
      Portia

Comment

I was diagnosed last summer.. my mother also has MS and she too was diagnosed in 1993.

Goodluck to you and I hope you find this site very helpful. It's full of information. And just remember, no matter how MS affected your mom, it may be completely different for you.

Comment

Hi Dani, and welcome!

The diagnosis is such a doozy, and man, those stages of grief can cycle in your head like a whirlwind. All I can recommend is to feel all of it, to think about and work through all of it, and to know that even once the initial shock wears off more grief/anger/denial may still happen. It's normal. Sucky, but normal.

I am sorry to hear that your mom is no longer with you to hold your hand as you go through this.

I've learned a lot on these boards, and everyone here wants to help you make the best choices you can and to be a shoulder to lean on on the hard days, so I'm glad you've found us. Also, don't worry about the typing. For me it was my left hand and while that is better at the moment, people here have a wide variety of physical issues, so as long as we can read it it's all good.

Comment

Moms

Dani,
            My Mom was dx in 1994, and I was dx in 2009. Bummer, eh?
            I was freaked out when I was dx because I saw how the disease effected my mother. Now with a little time under my belt I realize, as someone else has already said, that the disease may not (and has not yet) taken the same path for me as it did for my mother.

The initial couple months were pretty bad, but they call it relapse remitting for a reason. Chances are you will remit, and things will get better.

I cherish life much more today. Sometimes it takes sorrow to feel the joy.

Comment

Hi, All.

My mother was diagnosed with MS in her early 40s, my only sibling, my sister, in her mid 30s, I was diagnosed in my late 40s and my son was recently diagnosed in his late 20s. So far, we have been fortunate to all have RRMS. I am having a tough time with my son's diagnosis. How anyone can say this is not genetic, even if the risk is not a direct one, is beyond me.

Comment

Hi everyone,

My mom has also been diagnosed, I have gone through all the testing myself twice now but so far all the tests have been negative. I have also wondered about the possible genetic links. My partner also has MS and we are definitely planning on having kids. It does concern me that MS would be present on both sides of our children's families. But I guess we just have to take life as it comes. I know I have certainly learned to appreciate all the small things in life, probably things that most people take for granted.

Comment

Hi, 16 years with dx here. Lots of poor health issues prior to that.

I have sons, not daughers, but I do worry. I was dx'd at 50! So I worry son's will find themselves with this stupid disease at some point. I hope not.

I guess they haven't isolated a gene for MS? If so wouldn't we know it or have I missed that. Wondering, if we had a blood test for determining if you have a gene for MS, would you want to know?

I'm thinking stem cells are going to help resolve this. It will be a while,but genetic manipulation and improving upon us, will help. You cannot change a persons soul, so I wish they'd quit fussing over that and get down to work.

Diane
                  You cannot dream yourself into a character; you must hammer and forge yourself one.

Comment

My Mom had M.S. and died of M.S. complications at the age of 45. She had a horrible, progressive form of it and I am haunted every day by images of her with M.S. I guess next to her, I am doing pretty good. Three cousins on her side also have M.S. I can't believe anyone would still deny that genetics have something to do with the MeSs!
                    Tawanda

Comment

Hi dani and WELCOME!!!!!! Glaad you found us. This is a great place to find support and understanding. I look forward to seeing you around. Good luck.

Dave
                      hunterd/HuntOP/Dave
                      volunteer
                      MS World
                      hunterd@msworld.org
                      PPMS DX 2001

"ADAPT AND OVERCOME" - MY COUSIN

Comment

Working...
                      X