Not really sure about this

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not really sure about this

Hello all! I was diagnosed with MS three years ago. One day I had a headache and the next day I couldn't see. Luckily it got better and nothing major has happened since, but every day I am afraid I am going to wake up and something else won't work. I've also noticed that the more anxious I get, the crazier I act. I almost feel like I have to stay out until 3am and get up for work at 7 because I don't know how much longer I'll be able to. I am so afraid of not being self-sufficient and active that I don't even want to plan for it. I teach martial arts, I hike and I go to the gym, and my job requires me standing all day, and I love doing all of those things. Even writing this I'm starting to cry because I don't know what the future holds for me and I love the way my life is right now. So I guess that is why I joined, because I am so scared.
    You never learn if you never lose

I just wanted to say hello, and welcome, and I understand how you feel. MS can be a very unpredictable disease as I'm sure you know. It is possible that you could live your entire life with only some minor inconvenience. I got some good advice from my 1st neuro who also has MS. He said "Live your life, no one really knows what their next day will bring."

I think that treating your body well can help your MS. Not babying, or limiting yourself, but following normal healthy behaviors. I don't think it's healthy for anyone sick or well to stay out half the night and work all day, and it's not healthy for your mind or your body to let fear control your behavior. I hope you will be able to find some peace by joining this site and hearing positive stories from so many people. Jade

Comment

Hello lbdx

Welcome to MS World!

Hello all! I was diagnosed with MS three years ago. One day I had a headache and the next day I couldn't see. Luckily it got better and nothing major has happened since, but every day I am afraid I am going to wake up and something else won't work.
      Glad to hear you are doing well!

but every day I am afraid I am going to wake up and something else won't work.
      Just wondering - have you been afraid every day for the past 3 years? What works for many of us is try to take each day as it comes, and live in the present. It's a waste of time to live in worry and fear today about a tomorrow that may never even come.

I teach martial arts, I hike and I go to the gym, and my job requires me standing all day, and I love doing all of those things. Even writing this I'm starting to cry because I don't know what the future holds for me and I love the way my life is right now. So I guess that is why I joined, because I am so scared.
      Keep enjoying all the things you love - and try not to catastrophize about the future.

Even if you didn't have MS, you wouldn't know what the future holds, right? No one knows what the future holds, (no one that I know of has a functional crystal ball ) so we might as well enjoy what we can today!

If your anxiety is very persistent, and you are afraid and stressed most of the time, would you ever consider therapy? I have gone to therapy for several years and it helped me tremendously.

In any case, maybe MS World will be beneficial to you. We have lots of interesting topics and information, as well as some wonderful supportive members.

Wishing you the best!

Take care,
      KoKo
      PPMS for 26 years (dx 1998)
      ~ Worrying will not take away tomorrow's troubles ~ But it will take away today's peace. ~

Comment

As an MS patient for 7 years I am not sure about anything. I was active, athletic, farm kid childhood and figured I would live to be 105. However MS came into my life and really stirred things up. Because the disease affects all of MS patients differently - there is no lesson plan. I found that out after trying to "walk it off". That doesn't work. Try to find something - one thing that you feel good about and do it. Even if you have to change the way you do it. Don't worry about what is ahead of you that you can't see. We (MS patients or any other human) can't see ahead either!

Comment

The secret is to do what you can when you can. Don't worry or stress over what might be or what might be coming your way. Just enjoy the moment. Take time for yourself and the things that you like to do. Do them when you feel good. Rest when you don't. Listen to your body and your feelings and your emotions.
          This is the day that the Lord has made. Let us rejoice and be glad in it.

Have a great day, Leola

Comment

Working...
          X