Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Intro -- new dx at 44

Hi everyone,
    I just got the final word two days ago that it is indeed MS and I will be starting Rebif this week. I've been sick and "not right" off and on for a long time and my neurologist could not figure out what was going on. (To his credit, he tried very hard.) A year ago I went numb in my left flank and that was also accompanied by pain shooting down my left leg. MRIs showed nothing and it resolved itself by summer.

Aside from just feeling weak and run down and having pain in my legs the summer was uneventful until Sept 12 when I had an attack of optic neuritis in my right eye. It was a pretty harsh attack too, it didn't just make my sight go blurry, I completely lost my vision in that eye. I was referred to a neuro-ophthalmologist who ordered a brain scan which showed lesions which I guess are consistent with MS. I then had a second attack of optic neuritis in my right eye, followed by a break where that eye recovered slowly.

Then a week ago today it attack my left eye, and let me tell you, that just sucked, because by Tuesday I was pretty much blind. My right eye hadn't recovered enough for me to be able to much more than navigate the house. Five days of IV steroids were ordered and that has helped because as you see I can now see well enough to get on the internet and read and type but man, so scary. I have a four-year-son on the autism spectrum and I was essentially unable to care for him because in addition to the blindness, I had a severe headache reaction to the lumbar puncture that was also ordered and I had to lie flat on my back much of the week when I wasn't at the infusion center. My husband and I are so blessed to have wonderful family and friends who rallied to help us out when this hit me so fast.

Anyway, sorry for the rambling wall of text. It's kind of nice to be able to see well enough to communicate again to be able to just open up a little about the stresses of that crazy week among people who understand and have been there themselves.

WELCOME!!!!!!!!! sorry why though. since you were just dxed, you must have many questions. many have been addressed here. if you don`t find the info you`re looking for, start a new thread. glad to have you here! good luck.

dave
    hunterd/HuntOP/Dave
    volunteer
    MS World
    hunterd@msworld.org
    PPMS DX 2001

"ADAPT AND OVERCOME" - MY COUSIN

Comment

Hello Thunderkitty

Welcome to MS World!

Then a week ago today it attack my left eye, and let me tell you, that just sucked, because by Tuesday I was pretty much blind. My right eye hadn't recovered enough for me to be able to much more than navigate the house. Five days of IV steroids were ordered and that has helped because as you see I can now see well enough to get on the internet and read and type but man, so scary.
      Gosh, that must have been very scary! I'm glad for you that the steroid treatment has helped. Hopefully soon your eyesight will be back to normal.

My husband and I are so blessed to have wonderful family and friends who rallied to help us out when this hit me so fast.
      Good for you - support is definitely a plus!

It's kind of nice to be able to see well enough to communicate again to be able to just open up a little about the stresses of that crazy week among people who understand and have been there themselves.
      We're glad you came by to share with us what's going on. Looking forward to seeing you around!

Please feel free to ask questions, and we'll be glad to help if we can!

Take care,
      KoKo
      PPMS for 26 years (dx 1998)
      ~ Worrying will not take away tomorrow's troubles ~ But it will take away today's peace. ~

Comment

Working...
      X