Waking Up After A Long Dream

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Waking Up After A Long Dream

Hi to all. My name is Mike, and I've been peeking in once in awhile for the last 2 + years but really haven't known what to say. Now I am taking the leap and going to a place where I am not at all comfortable going, talking about myself, my feelings and reaching out. After reading what a few of you (OriginalC; deb1968; Showonly; JaxStar; and MSdoesntruleme) have to say, I think maybe I can do this. Thank You all for your inspiration!

I am 51, and fairly active (or used to be) until I let this MS thing get into my head (No Pun Intended). I went through 3 yrs. and three neurologists to find out just what was happening to me. My diagnosis went from May 2007 to August 2010. I have had my symptoms (Numbness in Left Hand about 8 yrs. and Drop Foot in Left Leg started about 3 to 4 yrs. ago). I thought at first I might have decompression sickness or (The Bends) because I have been a SCUBA diver for most of my life and the symptoms are numbness and tingling. But nothing really fit over the long term, so after self monitoring for about 3 to 4 years I finally got up the nerve to consult a Neurologist, then another and yet a third.

At this time lesions have been found in my cervical spine only. I am not currently on any med's but am staring to give this some consideration. As you might be able to tell I don't really jump into anything fast and the idea of becoming drug dependent scares me. I am looking for a local (Seattle, WA) support group but I think that this forum may also help me out.

A bit about me personally. I have been married for 25 years to a very special laidy. I have been SCUBA diving since 1973 and actively taught diving from 1990 to 2008. I also like to Sky Dive, Travel, Golf, Boat, Hike, but mostly spend quality time with friends and family. So there it is "My BIG JUMP" which by the way was harder for me than jumping out of an airplane!

Hello Mike

Welcome to MS World - glad you stopped by to introduce yourself!

I went through 3 yrs. and three neurologists to find out just what was happening to me. My diagnosis went from May 2007 to August 2010. I have had my symptoms (Numbness in Left Hand about 8 yrs. and Drop Foot in Left Leg started about 3 to 4 yrs. ago).
    But nothing really fit over the long term, so after self monitoring for about 3 to 4 years I finally got up the nerve to consult a Neurologist, then another and yet a third.
    Good for your perseverence in wanting to know. It can be a relief to finally know what we're dealing with. Sometimes the unknown is much more anxiety provoking!

At this time lesions have been found in my cervical spine only. I am not currently on any med's but am staring to give this some consideration. As you might be able to tell I don't really jump into anything fast and the idea of becoming drug dependent scares me.
    Just wondering, have you been diagnosed with RRMS, and has your doctor suggested any DMD's? You might be interested in the Medications Forum that we have here.

A bit about me personally. I have been married for 25 years to a very special laidy.
    Congratulations - 25 years is quite a feat these days!

I have been SCUBA diving since 1973 and actively taught diving from 1990 to 2008. I also like to Sky Dive, Travel, Golf, Boat, Hike, but mostly spend quality time with friends and family.
    What an interesting life you have! Sounds like fun!

So there it is "My BIG JUMP" which by the way was harder for me than jumping out of an airplane!
    You did great, Mike!

Glad you've come aboard - looking forward to seeing you around!

Take care,
    KoKo
    PPMS for 26 years (dx 1998)
    ~ Worrying will not take away tomorrow's troubles ~ But it will take away today's peace. ~

Comment

Working...
    X