A momentary pause

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A momentary pause

My name is Niki and I was dx 2 months ago with MS.

I am 36 and the proud mommy of 2 small children

I am the sole bread winner for the family as my husband is a stay home dad.

I had the vague neurologic complaints vertigo, numbness in left hand and foot, facial numbness, dropping things from left hand and tripping on left foot.

Started to get worried when I felt the sensation of warm water running from my left knee to left ankle. I went to my PCP and had a MRI brain which showed the usual nonspecific white matter lesions could be sequela of migraines, lyme disease, could not r/o MS

Then my vision changed double vision, decreased acuity left eye and pain left eye. Continuous numbness left palm and trouble walking. I went to the ER. I was dx with optic neuritis and MRI of spine showed spinal lesions.

I have been out of work for 2 months on short term disability. I am an anesthesiologist. I have left hand hemiplegia and can not work in the operating room today (but I still retain my optimism).

I have been going through the usual PT and OT and I am hopeful I will return ASAP!!!!!!!!

My biggest struggle is figuring out how I take my job which is not flexible, demands 100% reliability and 100% accuracy with a disease that is inflexible, affects my precision and is unpredictable.
    Can anyone relate or give advice?

Hi Niki, and welcome to MSWorld! I wish there were definite answers to your questions, but as a doctor I'm sure you know that they don't exist

The spinal lesions would be concerning to me as they already seem to be affecting your ambulation, but don't give up the fight! I'm happy to see that you're getting PT and OT. They can help!

The only advice I can give to you is to take one day at a time. You're a physician, and I know from working with them (nursing) that many of them make terrible patients. , and being diagnosed with MS (incurable and unpredictable) certainly doesn't put a "happy face" on the situation.

Stay strong, Niki, and keep us posted!

“The world breaks everyone, and afterward, some are strong at the broken places.” Ernest Hemingway
    Diagnosed 1979

Comment

Hello Niki

Welcome - nice to meet you!

I have been going through the usual PT and OT and I am hopeful I will return ASAP!!!!!!!!
      Good for you - you're being proactive. Hopefully your therapies will help you regain your abilities

My biggest struggle is figuring out how I take my job which is not flexible, demands 100% reliability and 100% accuracy with a disease that is inflexible, affects my precision and is unpredictable.
      Although most of us didn't do what you do for a living (anesthesiologist), many of us have had to either ask for accommodations, change positions, change jobs, or retire on disability. Many of us had to learn to do things differently, or else learn to do different things.

You have been diagnosed for only 2 months. You may completely recover from the relapses and all your symptoms may resolve over time. Or, you may be left with some unresolved neurological deficits. Unfortunately none of us has a crystal ball.....

All we can do is the best we can, taking good care of ourselves and taking each day as it comes.

Wishing you and your family the best

Take care,
      KoKo
      PPMS for 26 years (dx 1998)
      ~ Worrying will not take away tomorrow's troubles ~ But it will take away today's peace. ~

Comment

Working...
      X