Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just Diagnosed Monday

Hi,

My name is John, and I was diagnosed on Monday. It came out of the blue. I was in a car accident in July and I went to a neurologist to investigate what I thought were accident related problems. I had a severe concussion in the accident. The diagnosis has come as quite a shock, but other than a little sadness and melancholy, I don't seem to be the worse for wear.

The doctor says I have had MS for quite some time, and thinking back I can point to times that were probably episodes of MS. My overall attitude is that it doesn't really change anything since I have had it for years. Most of my thoughts have been about how this effects the future. Luckily my previous episodes have been very minor (weakness in one leg, and numbness in the face).

Has anyone else had a probable episode before they were diagnosed that may have caused a secondary injury? I think I hurt my back when my leg was weak. I kept running on it despite the loss of strength and sensation, two or three weeks later I couldn't move because my back hurt so much.

Hello John

Welcome to the MS World Forums - nice to meet you!

It came out of the blue. I was in a car accident in July and I went to a neurologist to investigate what I thought were accident related problems. I had a severe concussion in the accident. The diagnosis has come as quite a shock, but other than a little sadness and melancholy, I don't seem to be the worse for wear.
    Wow, I can see how that would be a shock to find out you have MS when you went to the neuro for follow-up after a car accident

The doctor says I have had MS for quite some time, and thinking back I can point to times that were probably episodes of MS.
    It was easy for me to blow off odd symptoms (pre-diagnosis) before I finally went to the doctor. The symptoms didn't really hurt, and only happened after exercise, or when I was tired or overheated.

Most of my thoughts have been about how this effects the future. Luckily my previous episodes have been very minor (weakness in one leg, and numbness in the face).
    None of us has a crystal ball With the unpredictability of MS, it's best to take each day as it comes, and not live today with excessive worry or stress. (not always easy to do!) However, being fully aware that our future may be affected by MS, we might live a more quality life now.

Glad to know that your episodes have been minor.

Has anyone else had a probable episode before they were diagnosed that may have caused a secondary injury? I think I hurt my back when my leg was weak. I kept running on it despite the loss of strength and sensation, two or three weeks later I couldn't move because my back hurt so much
    The only episode that comes to mind right now is (during the months of having various tests) I fell while playing tennis and broke my foot. My leg got very weak at the time.

Thanks for sharing your story. Feel free to ask questions and browse our various forums. Hopefully you will benefit from the information and interesting topics. There are many supportive and encouraging members here too

Looking forward to seeing you around!

Take care,
    KoKo
    PPMS for 26 years (dx 1998)
    ~ Worrying will not take away tomorrow's troubles ~ But it will take away today's peace. ~

Comment

Hey John

Sorry to hear of your diagnosis.

The things I find helpful are, exercise, eating right, taking my meds, and setting my own life goals. When the future seems a little unpredictable, I think it's important to have goals to work towards. I am comforted by them.

We are here for you....seriously.

Keep on keepin on!

Comment

Working...
      X