New to MS with lyme at the same time!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New to MS with lyme at the same time!

Hi, I am new to this website. I am 37 yrs old and mother to 2 boys (4&6). I have had multiple mva and whip lash with some mild radiculopathy left arm for a couple yrs. I am a physician assistant so treated on my own with IBU and it would go away. I started with diarrhea after consuming listeria recalled spinach in May. It progressed for 6 weeks and testing could not figure it out. Although they did not test for listeria said I would be too sick. Started with heavy arm and weakness left arm took me to ER in the middle of the night. All normal labs and CT later that week bilateral arm tingling and weakness. MRI Cspine showed lesion so MRI brain done no Gad showed multiple lesions. Saw neurologist who ordered 5 days steroid infusion and lab work. I finished steroids and aside from side effects of steroid little better then severely worse and diagnosed with Lyme disease.

I had spinal tap to rule out neurologic lyme which was negative but showed 4 oligobands suggesting MS. Put on doxy for 28 days. Did better. Stopped doxy and fever max 100.5 and chills returned and weakness right arm especially worse with using the arm. Admitted for series of testing and found nothing. Now 6 weeks after initial scans everything is back! So confused and not sure what to do. Awaiting on scans at 3 months to see if more lesions before treatment. And they started abx for babeiosis since they can't find source of fever which is usually not from MS. Should I start lyrica?? Should I try to wait it out on all these ABX? Hard to work when so weak on my right arm.

**Moderator's note - Post broken into paragraphs for easier reading. Many people with MS have visual difficulties that prevent them from reading large blocks of print. **

Hi and welcome,
    Sorry you have to be here. No real advice just wish you the best with whatever course of treatment you decide on.
    He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
    Anonymous

Comment

I had a wicked case of multiple target Lyme Disease right before my MS diagnosis. I am thinking my weird immune system is what triggered the multiple targets. I was treated with a stint insert for a month (scary) and saw an epidemiologist. The Lyme Disease messed up my official MS diagnosis (as Lyme can cause some of the same things) but the docs got it right eventually...the Lyme either provoked the MS symptoms or the MS provoked the crazy case of Lyme, but either way, I had them both and it was one confusing mess. With it had been Lyme...antibiotics...gone. MS will shadow me forever. Good luck to you.
      Tawanda

Comment

Working...
      X