ME: Before and After MS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ME: Before and After MS

Hi There! I'm a divorced single male who, up until I was diagnosed with MS, has always been pretty much in near perfect health. Sure, I'm a little overweight, but I attribute alot of that to the way MS has relegated me to a sedentary lifestyle.

Growing up, I was somewhat athletic. Alot of baseball and swimming in the summers from the time I was age 7 and swimming in highschool. I wasn't great by any stretch of the imagination, but good enough, and respected enough that our Coach named me the first captain of the team. In all the years before that, the team always had "co-captains" and once, even "tri-captains." I was an uneasy leader but all that led to a partial scholarship for college at Indiana University of Pennsylvania, or IUP where I majored in Respiratory Therapy.

For reasons that I won't bore you with, I found it to offer limited possibilities for the future, but because the curriculum was so specialized, changing my major to Business, (My interest at the time), wasn't a good option because it would require 3 more years just to catch up on all the prerequisite courses I missed. Instead, I plowed ahead and graduated and immediately enrolled in West Virginia University's "2nd Degree in Business" program that I could complete in just one year! Yea!!! I got the degree, focusing my courses on those that would prepare me for a career in Personnel Management, Labor Relations and/or Human Resources. I never looked back. ...

Fast forward: In 1993, after repeating episode of strange numbness, I went to The Cleveland Clinic where I was diagnosed with, what was then referred to as a case of, "Benign MS. In 2002 I became disabled from working so I gave it up, sold my house, bought a RV and set out to spend the rest of my life on the road. ... MS had other ideas though and after about 6 months, while on the other side of the country, in Santa Barbara, CA, I experienced a relapse that left me hesitant to continue. Instead, I returned to my childhood home near Pittsburgh, PA, to be near the support of family an my neurologist. I no longer drive and use a Power Chair to get around my apartment. I spend most of my time keeping in touch with a few of my college friends by daily email exchanges. :-)

** Moderator's note - Post broken into paragraphs for easier reading. Many people with MS have visual difficulties that prevent them from reading large blocks of print. **

hi ironmoon1

welcome to MSWorld where there's always someone here who can relate to what you're going through.

sounds like you had a good life going when younger. so glad you got to enjoy sports & recognition it's great to have 'the good old days' to look back on.
    i used to be a very fast runner and was top 400 racer on our track team.
    now i walk with a cane. though i'm grateful for that because since being dxd since 2002, i've swapped around between rollators (walker on wheels), w/c & canes.

so sorry you've lost your mobility. i know when i'm in a w/c how incredibly frustrating it can be. get so tired of looking at people's butts !!

my DH & i want our next house to be an RV and travel. how was it? did you get to see many places before having to give it up?
    santa barbara is a beautiful place, but when you're sick there's no place like home.
    i'm so glad that you have friends and family to be near.

MSW is a great place to chat and share with others who are or have been where you're at. it's a great place to get advice and understanding. sorry for the reason you're here, but glad you found us.

take care & God bless ya!
    "All things are possible for those who believe." Jesus

Comment

Hi and welcome! Ha ha, don't ya just love that term "benign MS". Some of us here say its only benign until its not.

I love that you followed your dream and traveled in your RV for as long as you were able. Hopefully those memories will bring you a smile for years to come.
      He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
      Anonymous

Comment

Working...
      X