HUGE positive energy change

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HUGE positive energy change

I know that there is a different forum for mobility aids, but wanted to post here because of the number of users I see on here, and share info with.

I still teach full time, and have been exhausted. Totally wiped out by the end of the day. Last week my sweet dad and mom bought me a wheelchair so the trip to my classroom is not so onerous. What an incredible difference.

Before, bed at 8 pm at the latest. Now, 10 or 11.
    Before, had to really think how much I needed something xeroxed, as the trip to the machines was a long one. Now? no big deal
    Before, I often ate lunch alone in my room. Now, I can share time and fellowship with other people downstairs in lunch room.
    Before, I really never got to see anyone other than students. Now, I am once again part of the team.

I figure I am also helping young 'uns see people in the wheelchair as real people, not someone to ignore, or someone who has nothing to offer them.

So if anyone is fighting the move to wheels, I hope you can use my experience to see it is an incredibly freeing change.

Now I have to figure out how I can decorate it. Flames, I am thinking.
    You are in the driver's seat, but God is holding the map

Originally posted by zilphia01 View Post
    I still teach full time, and have been exhausted. Totally wiped out by the end of the day. Last week my sweet dad and mom bought me a wheelchair so the trip to my classroom is not so onerous. What an incredible difference.
    Hi zilphia

So happy for you that your chair has helped you to conserve a good amount of energy, and has made your teaching job enjoyable again.

I figure I am also helping young 'uns see people in the wheelchair as real people, not someone to ignore, or someone who has nothing to offer them.
    That's a wonderful way to teach them diversity!

So if anyone is fighting the move to wheels, I hope you can use my experience to see it is an incredibly freeing change.
    I have felt the same (initially fighting mobility aids) only to realize the huge benefit in energy conservation. This includes early on when I first got an AFO for foot drop, first started using a cane, and then when I needed a rollator. All have been extremely useful along the way.

Now I have to figure out how I can decorate it. Flames, I am thinking.
    The kids would love that for sure!
    PPMS for 26 years (dx 1998)
    ~ Worrying will not take away tomorrow's troubles ~ But it will take away today's peace. ~

Comment

Hi zilphia! Your post made me smile and I'm so happy the wheelchair has made such a positive difference in your life as a teacher. What are the ages of your students? Regardless, this will be a great teaching lesson for them to honor diversity and rise above challenges.

Flames sounds daring and exciting. Have fun! The kids are lucky to have you as their teacher and depending on age, maybe they can help decorate. ?
      1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
      Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Comment

I love teachers, they

just can never stop teaching, good for you!! I am glad that you are feeling so much more energy as the result of your parents thoughtful gift and thank you for sharing your story to inspire all of us.

Comment

Awesome!

That's pretty great that you've noticed such a difference!

I bet if you took your chair to one of those shops that does vinyl signs and vinyl wraps, and told them what you wanted, they could make a design for it that wraps on and peels off when you want to change it. You could change it with the seasons, I bet the kids would get a kick out of that.

Comment

Working...
          X