Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Some questions from a concerned potential newbie!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Some questions from a concerned potential newbie!

Hello, I have been experiencing MS like symptoms recently, including tingling, numbness in legs etc etc. my brain MRI came back clear and I am waiting on the spinal results today. I am really scared, will I feel like this everyday, or do these symptoms subside once on meds?

Also, my doctor says that the majority of people live normal lives with attacks not very often, continue to work, drive etc - is this true?

Comment

Well, my spinal MRI came back clear - has anyone else had the symptoms but with clear scans? I have been told I have a mental health issue and it was suggested I should check myself into a facility! I am not making the symptoms up!

Comment

Hello Melissa1976 and welcome to MSWorld.

my doctor says that the majority of people live normal lives with attacks not very often, continue to work, drive etc - is this true?
        will I feel like this everyday, or do these symptoms subside once on meds?
        I will answer both questions with the same answer; Very possibly but maybe not.

This disease is very individualized. We all share some of the same symptoms but the course of the disease is different for each of us. We simply have no guarantees. If you start reading personal experiences, and I'm not sure that's a good idea right now, you will see a wide range of personal experiences. Some good, some not so good, and some that might scare the poop out of you.

Right now focus on your testing and what it may or may not show. Your brain MRI is clear and if your cervical MRI is clear you may not receive a diagnosis of MS. There is a criteria for diagnosing MS, The revised McDonald Criteria, and it relies heavily on MRI evidence. Other testing, if positive, can help support a diagnosis of MS.

The diagnostic Criteria: http://www.va.gov/MS/articles/2010_M...ia_Revised.pdf

Best wishes
        Diagnosed 1984
        “Lightworkers aren’t here to avoid the darkness…they are here to transform the darkness through the illuminating power of love.” Muses from a mystic

Comment

Hello Melissa1976

Originally posted by Melissa1976 View Post
          I have been told I have a mental health issue and it was suggested I should check myself into a facility! I am not making the symptoms up!
          I know you are not making your symptoms up. Mental health issues (anxiety, panic, depression, ect) can cause physical symptoms. If you are dealing with a mental health issues it would be In your best interest to see a mental health professional (Psychiatrist, Psychotherapist) for the best treatment.

Mental Health problems can cause body wide physical symptoms.

For more information:
          https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog...xiety-symptoms
          http://www.anxietycentre.com/anxiety-symptoms.shtml

Well, my spinal MRI came back clear - has anyone else had the symptoms but with clear scans?
          It is possible for a person to have MS without MRI evidence. To receive a diagnosis of MS without MRI evidence is quite rare, it is a 5% category.

have been experiencing MS like symptoms recently
          Symptoms that are experienced in MS are not just MS symptoms. Many other conditions, medications and mental health problems can all cause the same type of symptoms. Part of the diagnostic criteria is to rule in/out all other possible causes as well as evidence (neurological exam, testing) that can support a diagnosis of MS.
          Diagnosed 1984
          “Lightworkers aren’t here to avoid the darkness…they are here to transform the darkness through the illuminating power of love.” Muses from a mystic

Comment

Thank you so much for your thoughts. I will try to keep this in mind as I continue my search for some answers. I really thought the physical symptoms were causing the anxiety not the other way around! I have a neuro appointment early Feb, will wait and see what he says.

Comment

Anxiety can really play tricks with your body. My cousin has severe anxiety issues and she has many of the symptoms you are talking about...symptoms like I have. What you are having are sensory symptoms. If you do develop MS, you will eventually feel some weakness in your body, this is a sign of a more serious.

What other testing did they do on you? Did they test for Lyme or any other mimic of MS? I agree with Snoopy about you seeing a psychiatrist. It would be good for you to get to try some medications and see how you feel without the anxiety.

I hope you will post again after your psych appointment, and your neurology follow up.

Take care,
              Lisa
              Disabled RN with MS for 14 years
              SPMS EDSS 7.5 Wheelchair (but a racing one)
              Tysabri

Comment

I think that you are doing the correct things. I would wait to see the neurologist. Ask him/her if they have specialized training in MS diagnosis/treatment. Don't fiddle with any general neurologists. The diagnosis of MS is a diagnosis made through exclusions. There are about 400 conditions that mimic MS. Be calm until you have through all of the tests. Be calm before, during and after all of the diagnostics. Anxiety makes the symptoms worse. Good luck

Comment

Working...
                X