just joined this site

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

just joined this site

I have been a MS patient since 1963, am 73 years old and live with hubby and a cat named Chessie.

I worked most of my life with MS, from 1963 until 1985 was able to work full time, then in 85 things went down hill fast. I was unable to work and was put on social security. My husband was still working and so we managed. After his retirement from his main job of 34 years he took a part time,which turned full time and worked until last July. With this check we were able to survive. Now I am in an electric chair and need a van for wheel chairs but we cannot afford one, so am still stuck at home. True, it helps me get around my home but other than, Krogers, or Lowes I have not been in a store for almost 5 years. I can go there and husband brings their chairs to the car for me. Have searched and searched for help to get a van but no results.
    I have 3 grown sons, 4 grandchildren and 1 greatgranddaugher.

Hello Emeraldlady

Welcome to MS World - it's nice to meet you!

If I'm understanding your story, you went for 22 years with fairly mild MS symptoms, (you said you were able to work full time during that span) and then you had a rapid progression?

I'm sorry to learn that you are having a difficult time now, being stuck at home most of the time.

Hopefully you will somehow be able to get a van so you can get out more. Maybe some of our members will have ideas on how to obtain a van.

Feel free to browse our various forums. There are many interesting topics. Also, we try to encourage and support each other.

I'm sure your input will be valuable to our members, as you are an MS "veteran" - living with the challenges of MS for quite awhile

Best wishes to you and your family (and Chessie too!)

Take care,
    KoKo
    PPMS for 26 years (dx 1998)
    ~ Worrying will not take away tomorrow's troubles ~ But it will take away today's peace. ~

Comment

Hello

Welcome to the forum. I hope that you will find some good advice here, and that perhaps it will bring you luck in finding a van for your needs.

Have a Great day
      Relax!

Jodie

Comment

Hi Emeraldlady, and welcome to MSWorld! I've also had MS for a long time (32 years), and I just bought a van and hand controls for myself. I'm a bit younger than you....53 years old.

I live in Pennsylvania, and we have an organization called PATF that set me up to borrow the money at a very low interest rate. There are also many sites online that advertise sales of accessible vans. Just google accessible vans and you'll come up with more sites than you can imagine! Most (if not all) of them offer financing, too. You can also contact your chapter of the NMSS to see if they have resources available to you. Call 1-800-FIGHTMS to be connected to your chapter.

Good luck, and keep us posted! Even though I do have a van, I still don't go out much. It depends on the weather, mostly.
        “The world breaks everyone, and afterward, some are strong at the broken places.” Ernest Hemingway
        Diagnosed 1979

Comment

welcome!!!!! glad your here!!
          why don`t you contact your local ms chapter? that was great info from jazz. you can also try msaa. www.msassociation.org good luck to you and keep us posted.

dave
          hunterd/HuntOP/Dave
          volunteer
          MS World
          hunterd@msworld.org
          PPMS DX 2001

"ADAPT AND OVERCOME" - MY COUSIN

Comment

Working...
          X