Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New here...having odd neuro symptoms

Hello,
    I am new here and have been researching for a while now trying to come up with answers. Maybe someone here can shed some light and offer up some ideas.

It all started about 5 years ago. I was having muscle twitches throughout my body. Random, twitch here, twitch there. Fast forward about a year ago, and my right eye twitched for nearly 7 months, intermittently throughout the day, left as fast as it came.

Now, around 10/22/15 I was having a stressful day at work and got really fatigued and shaky. The next day I woke up to my right foot feeling strange as if I was walking on sand, by the next day it hit my left foot, gradually climbing my body. It concerned me enough that I went to the emergency room, pcp, and they all concluded...NOTHING.

So I ask for a neuro appointment. Which I got. So, I presented to the neurologist about 2 weeks post onset of symptoms. This was on a Friday. He checked my reflexes, present and strong, but not hyper, that I could tell. Strength NEVER lost. He said he believed I had a nickles worth of guillan barre bc,of symmetry of sx and onset. His orders were to come back Monday for nerve test.

I did, and the nerve test showed no signs of polyneuropathy as in gbs, they were clean. He scratched his head and said I will see you back in 4 weeks. After, leaving his office a week or so later I noticed my abdomen feeling like wool, then a band sensation. By this time my legs were back to normal. Oh and i must mention my saddle area was numb off and on for about a week with the initial start of this all. That subsided fairly fast. 4 weeks rolls around and I see him again. Reflexes the same, no loss of reflexes, nerve test great...so, now he wants an mri. He is looking for inflammation in thoracic spine. He said sometimes inflammation can cause these sx, and spine issues won't show on nerve test. He is looking for a disc issue as well. Is there anyone out there that may have some clues to what this may be?

No pain ever, no preceding illness that would suggest gbs, no weakness, healing started where the deficit started, worked it's way to abdomen just below chest and stopped, no strong loss of sensation...feels like wool on my skin, temperature sensation and pain sensation intact. Nerve test clean 2 weeks post sx,. No loss of limb location, no burning sensation. But i will add that I felt a tingle or buzz in right upper thigh then in left upper thigh in two places. As strange as this sounds it tingled/buzzed in a sequence! That lasted maybe ten minutes.

Thank for reading such a long, first post. Just looking for more insight!

** Moderator's note - Post broken into paragraphs for easier reading. Many people with MS have visual difficulties that prevent them from reading large blocks of print.

Also, moved from General Questions and Answers forum to Tell Us About Yourself forum.**
    Last edited by Mamabug; 12-12-2015, 01:30 PM. Reason: Paragraph spaces edited for easier reading. Thread moved because this is new member's introduction post.

Originally posted by Twitchy View Post
    Is there anyone out there that may have some clues to what this may be?
    Hi Twitchy:

There are literally dozens of things that could be causing your symptoms. There are so many conditions that share the same symptoms that the only way to determine what's causing yours is to continue to go through medical evaluation to keep ruling things in or out.

And what's going to make it frustrating for you is that what you're experiencing are sensory symptoms without, so far, external evidence. Until there's some kind of external evidence, there won't be any clues for a diagnosis of anything physical.

You mentioned a physical exam and nerve tests, which were normal. But you haven't said anything about general blood tests such as CBC, electrolytes, vitamin and mineral levels, liver and kidney function, markers for inflammation such as sedimentation rate and C-reactive protein. Those all need to be done, along with anything else that's associated with any other particular symptoms you're having.

This sounds invasive for the relatively mild symptoms you're having, but have you ever had a spinal tap to evaluate for abnormalities in your spinal fluid?

What kinds of tests did you have via the emergency room and your PCP that made them come up with "nothing"? It's unusual that, for bilateral ascending neurological symptoms, there would not be a spinal MRI done.

Since you've been having symptoms for 5 years, it's probably a good idea to just go ahead and be thorough and have brain and cervical MRIs along with the thoracic MRI. The more piecemeal the workup is, the longer it's going to take.

It seems like, no matter what symptoms a person searches for on Google, the results always come back as MS or cancer. By virtue of your symptoms being neurological, MS is one of the many possibilities. But the way your symptoms are presenting -- off and on for short periods of time -- is not typical of MS. And, as for any other condition, there has to be 1) evidence typical for the condition and 2) ruling out of other conditions. It sounds like you just haven't gotten that far along in the process yet.

As much as you'd like to have answers, the only way to get them is to go through the workup process, as long as it takes. Patience is a virtue.

Comment

Working...
    X