Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I walked without my canes this morning!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I walked without my canes this morning!!!

YIPPEE!!!

After waking from a long very restful sleep this morning I used my canes to walk to the bathroom, then went in search of my bathrobe.

Not fully awake - I hadn't had my two quarts of coffee yet - I went in search of my robe, finding it I realized I hadn't used my canes!

My wife came into the room, we hugged tightly, and I walked back to the bathroom, got my canes, and walked to the kitchen.

I am delighted! I've hoped for years I'd be able to walk w/o canes, now to see if this continues.

What great, fantastic, exciting news!!!! So happy for you!

Comment

Such good news! but please stay safe to prevent falls. What's different to enable you to do this?
      1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
      Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Comment

possible differences

Originally posted by Seasha View Post
        Such good news! but please stay safe to prevent falls. What's different to enable you to do this?
        Seasha,

Thanks for reminding me to watch out for falls - I have foot drop in my weak left leg.

As to reasons - the past two years of about 2 hours a week of exercise using a recumbent bike loosened up my very tight right hip muscles, and walking around the B&B, a very hilly Italian town (Cortona), have done the same.

I think all this walking has in some small way improved my balance, but this is speculation.

Not quite last, my BFF of 4 years and wife since June has been encouraging me to stand up STRAIGHT when I'm using my canes. This postural change, reinforced by the past week's walking, has made a difference. I also need to thank my son Ben - his love, care, suggestions (although I won't go gluten free) have brought me many happy moments.

We fly home to California on Saturday and when I recover from jet lag, I'm going to start walking more with canes both inside and out, probably try to find a masseuse who can loosen my hip muscles even more, and someday try to walk down and then up our steep driveway that rises 50' from street to garage.

Even if I never feel capable of walking w/o canes while fully awake, I'm hopeful I'll walk with more ease and less pain.

Comment

I read your other thread about your trip to Italy and hope it has been more than you ever imagined! Lucky you

And good for you for exercising. I believe it does help to keep our bodies moving - "use it or lose it" as far as muscle strength goes. I use a walker but when I'm outside taking my short walks on our long driveway, I use trekking poles. My balance is better when using them instead of a cane and I get the benefit of arm exercise too. Our driveway has a semi-steep incline and the poles help proper me upward. Have you ever thought of using them?

I also take a yoga class and that has helped me with balance and tight muscles too.

So glad you have that support from your wife and son.
          Keep walking, stay loose and have a safe trip back home!
          1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
          Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Comment

Good news! I hope that you continue to enjoy your walking and exercise. It is beneficial in so many ways. I have been inspired to get off the couch today

Comment

What a thrill!

I've experienced it myself. It's very liberating. Especially to have your hands free. Strange how sometimes I wake up feeling like a ton of brick and others that the sky opens up and my legs move effortlessly.

Comment

Working...
              X